• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Realistic Sounding Speakers

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Times like this I do so wish I was able to get more members involved in detailing their rigs in the Members Area. We have so many really incredible and intelligently designed stereo and multi channel systems I don't understand the reluctance to show them off. :(

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Times like this I do so wish I was able to get more members involved in detailing their rigs in the Members Area. We have so many really incredible and intelligently designed stereo and multi channel systems I don't understand the reluctance to show them off. :(
Well I got a shed load of crap so that's why I'm not there...

But yes, given we are a audiophile ( science) forum we should all detail our own gear.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Very, very few speakers can produce the low frequencies with low distortion that a good subwoofer can IME/IMO. That said, my Rythmiks are sealed, and working together in my small'ish room are -3 dB around 7 Hz. While it is true output falls off faster below tune with ported, they generally offer more output and thus lower distortion for the same output as sealed above the tuning frequency. My subs also use a servo control to help extend their response and keep their distortion low.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

In other forums instead of the idea you state, which is a good reason, this devolved into a credential of who spent the most money. It would sometimes be used to imply someone else's idea was no good because their gear wasn't the most expensive. While bad ideas were given credence just because some bozo's hair brained thinking was connected to a six figure system. Now you can have good and bad ideas with all the above. Certainly having crappy gear doesn't automatically make ideas good. That system detailing just became distasteful to me over time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
this devolved into a credential of who spent the most money.

I have the only home system I know of that paid for itself. Does that count?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In other forums instead of the idea you state, which is a good reason, this devolved into a credential of who spent the most money
That's other forums. We have hoped and worked for something a little different here to separate us from the delusional rambling of the audiophools.
My system is probably at or near the bottom of the $ tree here. Much like Rays a major portion of which was obtained from the used market. But I don't give a dang what anyone else chooses to read into it. It's fully detailed both here and at CA, and a number of other audio sites. Let the chips fall where they may. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does it do a paper round?

Pay Per Round? Pay Per Play?

No...

My setup is power hungry (plasma TV - 200+ watts - and Krell - 280 Watts idling), and makes heat (more air conditioning expense), so I looked at Solar briefly, decided it is a big illiquid investment with a long pay-back period at which time the system lifespan is likely over and would need major refurbishments, so I parked roughly the same amount of money in the local utility (TECO) stock, 5% dividends paid the entire electric bill right away (well, quarterly), then the Utility was bought out by Canadians (Emera), and I got a surprise capital gain of a little over $20,000, which covers a lot of my past gear purchases.

Moved some of that money to Emera Stock for their dividends to pay the bill, but found I have to pay Foreign Tax on the dividends, so, may rethink that little strategy. Currently have a little gain on that investment (plus dividends to pay the electric bill).

upload_2017-6-10_17-9-46.png upload_2017-6-10_17-12-58.png

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...isition-of-teco-energy-to-close-today/2283757

So, in my mind, because the system is inefficient, I decided to hedge the operating expense, and got lucky on that exposure.

Therefore, this system paid for itself (and then some).

Estimate of the split between general electrical use and the Air Conditioning in watt hours per day (by week) for the last year:

upload_2017-6-10_17-22-38.png

Seven years coal-fired (and they have some gas turbines now, too, and are building solar farms) electrical usage:

upload_2017-6-10_17-36-7.png

Ok, I'm warming the Earth, just doing my part... On the other hand, I don't drive much, so, maybe I'm more green than average.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the OP: I would advise you to audition a pair of omnidirectional speakers. MBL, Duevel, German Physiks, or others. The Omni concept is not to everyone's liking, and is often implemented in a sub-optimal way. Still; try to hear a pair and see what you think.

OP
N

noobie1

To the OP: I would advise you to audition a pair of omnidirectional speakers. MBL, Duevel, German Physiks, or others. The Omni concept is not to everyone's liking, and is often implemented in a sub-optimal way. Still; try to hear a pair and see what you think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually listened to German Physyks Borderland IV and liked in quite a bit. I just feel like if I'm gonna spend $37k I may as well go all the way and spend $58k on the Magico's. I'm looking at different demos in my area to see what other brands can offer.

OP
N

noobie1

---

Are you into "measure and correct"?

It makes a good difference for me. Using a MiniDSP OpenDRC-DI and AcourateDRC to build the filters. I see no downside to using it.

---

I guess my setup to permit me to go "swimming in the sound". Nothing (from the system) breaks the spell when it takes hold late nights.

It's "corrected" to flat at the listening position using DRC, despite admonitions that that isn't the way to go. And adjustable to any curve/slope desired at the moment (using the Behringer). Takes about 30 seconds.

I tried Dirac live demo and used the filter that it generated. Didn't notice any difference. I'm planning to play around with it a little more.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually listened to German Physyks Borderland IV and liked in quite a bit. I just feel like if I'm gonna spend $37k I may as well go all the way and spend $58k on the Magico's. I'm looking at different demos in my area to see what other brands can offer.

Ok, cool. Just be aware that the acoustics of the room where you audition them will make an impact. They will probably not sound exactly the same to your ears at your own place.

I can completely relate to your expression about "swimming in sound" btw. I have the same preference, maybe because I'm active as a musician in my spare time and I want to recreate that feeling of being inside the music when I'm listening. The key has already been mentioned: it's about dispersion. Or rather, it's about filling the whole room with a completely even sound field.

I've done a fair bit of research on this exact topic, and I've figured out that there are basically three types of speakers which can accomplish this:
- omnis, as mentioned
- CBT line arrays - Google it together with the name of the inventor, Don Keele
- really big horns, perhaps placed in two corners

Those speaker designs are very different from each other though. For big horns, your best alternative might be the Klispch Jubilee. I'm partial to omnis myself, but all of these speaker designs (or "half-omnis" like the Beolab 5 from B&O) can provide an even sound field that fills the entire room.

I've never heard the Magicos. I'm sure they are excellent speakers. But based on their design and dispersion pattern, they are not the kind of speakers I would expect a priori to give me a "swimming in sound" excperience. How was the venue where you auditioned them? If the acoustics were excellent, with a pleasant diffuse and reflective sound field, that might also be a reason for why you liked them so much - not only the speakers themselves.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
My biased opinions based on my direct experience:

The Linkwitz lx521.4 is a great one.

Any Revel speaker and a few JBL speakers are great.

Magico is overrated. Same basic design repeated over and over for more than a decade. Basically the same formula for Wilson, YG and many other brands is to roll out the same design year after year. There's no research or new discoveries being made with most speaker manufacturers.

Vivid is great but not designed for real world reliability.

Normal sized sealed speakers have no bass and no dynamix.

All stereo playback systems require subwoofers for proper bass reproduction because almost all rooms prohibit complete/full range bass at the seated positions. If you fight physics, you'll lose. I've tried.

Omni speakers are a gimmick that gets old after a while. Maybe they'd be okay for certain genres. But it's not good for all types of music. MBLs have poorly integrated bass.

The only ESL to consider is Quad. I love them. BUT there's no dynamics. I can't say they're great for all types of music. They also require a larger room.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Martin Logan has greatly improved woofer integration the past few years. Sanders also makes good ESLs, and of course there's SoundLab and Janszen is still around. Somehow I've never been much of a Quad fan. Different strokes... Ditto omni's; impressive at first but gets old quickly (note I damp the back wave of my dipoles). Of course, I've switched over to Revel and really like them. Quite a change.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only ESL to consider is Quad. I love them. BUT there's no dynamics. I can't say they're great for all types of music. They also require a larger room.

Which Quads? The old 57 models (I had a pair for awhile). The ESL63s (I had a pair for a decade). The new copies of the 63's or the bigger doubled-up copy of the 63's?

BTW, I wish someone would use the delay principle that the ESL63's did, only in a large floor to ceiling design as a line source with the delay side to side. I think it would have all the nice qualities of the 63s and more dynamics, and perhaps less interaction with the room being a line source. Or maybe a point source is just better.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
These, if the measurements for them are credible,
https://dutchdutch.com/8c
Arriving today, after quite a long wait!
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, omnis and dipoles are the only speakers that dont sound like speakers. That's the best way I would put it. All other speakers sound like speakers. This is even more true for acoustic music. For electronic music, there is no real-life reference to compare to. But most dipoles only sound like non-speakers in the sweetspot, whereas omnis are less restricted in that regard. But I certainly think that omnis are not for everyone, so I would never advise anyone to buy omnis without very thorough auditioning first.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Omnis and dipoles would be at the very bottom on my 'most wanted' speaker list, they might have to fight single driver 'full-range' for very last place however.
Although the Beolab 90's 'omni' mode would be good for parties .
Keith

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I've spent extended listening time with the quad 2912. I've heard it at a local dealer in a big room. I've also heard it at a show. It also uses the delay line design. I don't understand why other LARGE ESLs don't also do something to improve the time domain problems that plague large panel speakers. I still think Quad is different from the rest.
Which Quads? The old 57 models (I had a pair for awhile). The ESL63s (I had a pair for a decade). The new copies of the 63's or the bigger doubled-up copy of the 63's?

BTW, I wish someone would use the delay principle that the ESL63's did, only in a large floor to ceiling design as a line source with the delay side to side. I think it would have all the nice qualities of the 63s and more dynamics, and perhaps less interaction with the room being a line source. Or maybe a point source is just better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom