• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Tks

Major Contributor
Hi, long time lurker here. Decided to make an account cause I have several questions and if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. Kind of an audio-noob here!

1. I noticed that a few are disappointed at the lack of Toslink and Coaxial. As I am new to this hobby, I am just wondering what these 2 connection types are for and if they have advantages over a USB implementation.(Like why are people upset at these 2 types of missing inputs?)

2. Given the lack of Toslink and Coaxial, will I be limited in options in terms of connectivity to another device?

Just curious as I purchased the atom DAC yesterday and am half regretting not going with the schiit stack or waiting for the liquid spark DAC to be released.

Toslink is a fiber-optic connection, usually found on TV's, Computers, or Game Consoles these days. One advantage it has over all other connections, is it galvanically isolates the DAC from the source that's sending the signal. Since there is no conducting metal material between the DAC and the computer for instance, there's no risk of transferring a whole slue artifacts like noise a computer or source may be suffering from. It also helps with issues pertaining to avoiding ground-loops and such.

Coaxial is just a another digital interface that even I myself don't know why still exists. Seems to be prevailent in CD players and quite a bit older devices. Advantages over USB? None that I can imagine tbh, and lately (and actually historically) has been observed to produce the most jitter out of any connections. I don't know the appeal of this interface barring those older devices that have it.

As for regret, not sure why considering this DAC performs really well (anything in the blue area is great), and for $99, you certainly aren't going wrong anywhere.

As for the reason people are a bit bummed, is because when you have multiple connections, you can also have multiple things connected and switch sources. Like if you had a game console, and a computer, you can have the game console connected to TOSLINK and the computer connected with USB.

Aside from that, not much really for people to be upset about in my view.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, long time lurker here. Decided to make an account cause I have several questions and if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. Kind of an audio-noob here!

1. I noticed that a few are disappointed at the lack of Toslink and Coaxial. As I am new to this hobby, I am just wondering what these 2 connection types are for and if they have advantages over a USB implementation.(Like why are people upset at these 2 types of missing inputs?)

2. Given the lack of Toslink and Coaxial, will I be limited in options in terms of connectivity to another device?

Just curious as I purchased the atom DAC yesterday and am half regretting not going with the schiit stack or waiting for the liquid spark DAC to be released.

Others have answered as I would. If you are just using a phone or PC as your source, single USB will be fine. My use case is a little different. Streamers tend to output toslink and/or coaxial digital not USB so to have a separate DAC "slaved" to a streamer, such connections would be useful . If PC or phone is your likely source on a desk with the Atom, no issues.

As for Atom stack Vs Schiit stack( or any other) - comes down to appearance and minor functionality as far as I am concerned, not sound quality- be happy with your purchase.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toslink is a fiber-optic connection, usually found on TV's, Computers, or Game Consoles these days. One advantage it has over all other connections, is it galvanically isolates the DAC from the source that's sending the signal. Since there is no conducting metal material between the DAC and the computer for instance, there's no risk of transferring a whole slue artifacts like noise a computer or source may be suffering from. It also helps with issues pertaining to avoiding ground-loops and such.

Coaxial is just a another digital interface that even I myself don't know why still exists. Seems to be prevailent in CD players and quite a bit older devices. Advantages over USB? None that I can imagine tbh, and lately (and actually historically) has been observed to produce the most jitter out of any connections. I don't know the appeal of this interface barring those older devices that have it.

As for regret, not sure why considering this DAC performs really well (anything in the blue area is great), and for $99, you certainly aren't going wrong anywhere.

As for the reason people are a bit bummed, is because when you have multiple connections, you can also have multiple things connected and switch sources. Like if you had a game console, and a computer, you can have the game console connected to TOSLINK and the computer connected with USB.

Aside from that, not much really for people to be upset about in my view.
Some DACS actually perform slightly better over USB though, like the Topping E30 (if I remember right)....but then conversely some performs slightly better over Toslink (eg SoundblaseterX G6) in terms of SINAD, but you're definitely right about the ground loop thing.

Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Some DACS actually perform slightly better over USB though, like the Topping E30....but then conversely some performs slightly better over Toslink (eg SoundblaseterX G6) in terms of SINAD, but you're definitely right about the ground loop thing.

Actually, lately Toslink and Coaxial have been pretty bad in a few recent devices reviewed. In the sense that, in the past, Toslink and Coax were pretty even with USB. But it seems as controllers and XMOS implementations have advanced, USB is outpacing the other two. And more interestingly, there seems to be quality parts running out for these digital connections. 5 years ago, it wouldn't be odd to assume USB performs bad, 2 years ago it wouldn't be odd to assume they were all the same, this year it would be silly to assume USB isn't superior.

A massive shift, where performance has to be considered for all the inputs when it comes time for review tbh.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, lately Toslink and Coaxial have been pretty bad in a few recent devices reviewed. In the sense that, in the past, Toslink and Coax were pretty even with USB. But it seems as controllers and XMOS implementations have advanced, USB is outpacing the other two. And more interestingly, there seems to be quality parts running out for these digital connections. 5 years ago, it wouldn't be odd to assume USB performs bad, 2 years ago it wouldn't be odd to assume they were all the same, this year it would be silly to assume USB isn't superior.

A massive shift, where performance has to be considered for all the inputs when it comes time for review tbh.
Well yes, but my point was that your previous post made it sound like Toslink input was higher quality than USB (which I didn't agree with).....which is now different to what you're saying right here in your response. But yeah, it looks like we agree.

Reactions: Tks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, so basically any device that can be connected via Coaxial and Toslink can be connected via the USB input and I won’t be limited in terms of what devices I can connect the atom DAC to?
No, not at all- many devices (TVs being an example youve been quoted) have optical digital outputs- which need an optical input on your DAC to convert the digital to analog signal to go to your amplifier. There are converters for most type of digital signals but you want to avoid that route if you can. Why dont you tell us what devices you would like to plug the DAC into?

Veri

Master Contributor
As an EE I'm still unhappy regarding this filter as its stop band should start at fs/2 (22.05 kHz) and not at 24 kHz (perfect for 48 kHz sample rate). Unfortunately this seems to be rather the norm nowadays - not for RME though.
As @Tks already mentioned, RME uses AKM DACs which for some Velvet Sound reason, use the same filter set for both 44 and 48kHz material, which is not optimal for the former.

index.php

SemperUnum

I ordered this. My only issue was that I was charged separately for the USB Type B cable ($4.99) and the Rocker Power Switch ($2.99), on top of the $99 for the DAC. I don't mind paying for it but I just wished they were upfront about it.
With my order the adapter, USB cable and rocker switch were all INCLUDED WITH "ATOM DAC":
1591877457465.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As @Tks already mentioned, RME uses AKM DACs which for some Velvet Sound reason, use the same filter set for both 44 and 48kHz material, which is not optimal for the former.

index.php
I suppose we're talking about almost undetectable differences here in terms of audibility when it comes to differences in filter implementation? When you say "not optimal for [44.1kHz material]" what would be the measured characteristics or audible differences when playing 44.1kHz material?

Veri

Master Contributor
I suppose we're talking about almost undetectable differences here in terms of audibility when it comes to differences in filter implementation? When you say "not optimal for [44.1kHz material]" what would be the measured characteristics or audible differences when playing 44.1kHz material?
I would like to see a steep attenuation at nyquist, so at 22kHz. That would satisfy my inner geek :) but a lot of us use AKM DACs so it's not like this non-optimal filter is a huge problem or anything. I just don't understand why AKM does this. Call it a curiosity.

bboris77

I am 99% sure that there will be a version of this with an additional input (probably optical) released eventually. Priced just slightly higher, like the OL Dac with optical was. There is space for an additional connector at the back, more then enough space on the PCB, and why else would they have that selector ring on the front?

I do like the fact that they are using a Type B USB plug and the measurements are very solid.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is Atom dac better than OL DAC? The old measurements are on the old analyzer.
And on the 4490, isn't this chip is getting discontinued from AKM? How does that work out?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to see a steep attenuation at nyquist, so at 22kHz. That would satisfy my inner geek :) but a lot of us use AKM DACs so it's not like this non-optimal filter is a huge problem or anything. I just don't understand why AKM does this. Call it a curiosity.
Ha, yep, I got a Topping E30, so I'm one of those too! Do we know what the theoretical differences are? Is it something to do with transferring any ringing from the filter into the ultra-sonic range? (That's just a vaguery from me based on something I think I've read here and also don't fully understand).

KR8NUX

I was also wondering about the 4490.
Is Atom dac better than OL DAC? The old measurements are on the old analyzer.
And on the 4490, isn't this chip is getting discontinued from AKM? How does that work out?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ha, yep, I got a Topping E30, so I'm one of those too! Do we know what the theoretical differences are? Is it something to do with transferring any ringing from the filter into the ultra-sonic range? (That's just a vaguery from me based on something I think I've read here and also don't fully understand).
A bit of imaging at very high frequencies. Likely inaudible. The audible difference of filters should come from phase of bass frequency. Still very small.

3125b

Major Contributor
Good question, seems to be pretty common practice actually. In short-lived fields like smartphones there sometimes are models with SoCs or camera sensors or something that have long been discontinued, and you're sitting there wondering where they got that stuff from.
Maybe they bought some old stock for cheap somewhere and can switch the part without redesign if they run out? Or it's a limited run and they are already working on something new? Who knows.

bboris77

Boy, how much better would this be if Atom and Atom DAC came out as a stack in 2018. A lot has happened since I must say..

John, do you ever sleep :)

I kind of agree. The audio world has changed quite dramatically since I got into this hobby in 2014. My first DAC was the Modi 1. All you need to do is compare it to the Modius - it tells the whole story of how drastically things have improved.

Adjec

No, not at all- many devices (TVs being an example youve been quoted) have optical digital outputs- which need an optical input on your DAC to convert the digital to analog signal to go to your amplifier. There are converters for most type of digital signals but you want to avoid that route if you can. Why dont you tell us what devices you would like to plug the DAC into?
Haha, thanks for helping out! I just wanted to know what are the drawbacks with the missing toslink and coaxial inputs especially since there have been several comments asking why those aren't included. I'll be connecting it to my PC so I think i am not missing much!

Top Bottom