• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

PRL

I have just joined the forum and has posted an introduction in the Members section. As my first interaction this seemed like a nice thread to participate in. My lounge/dining room is 8.4 x 3.4 x 2.3 M in the lounge area, reducing to around 2.4 M in the dinning area, which is around 50% of the length of the room. My standmounted speakers are either side of the TV unit and about 50mm from the wall and have the rear ports blocked. They fire across the width of the room. This is a 30 second sine sweep 40 - 5000 hz using Audio Tools app with a calibrated IMM-6 mic at the listening position. I think 1/6 smoothing. No DSP or EQ applied.
E566AC2A-6820-4F6A-9785-BE4DF5BAB3A6.jpeg

tjkadar

After watching Audioholics' video on wide vs narrow dispersion speakers, I experimented with moving the acoustic panel from the 1st reflection point to behind the speaker. Measurements for comparison between acoustic panel positions were made using the MMM and REW. I also measured the acoustic panel behind the speaker using a sweep with the microphone at the LP.

Listening Room.jpg
KEF R3 Acoustic Panel Placement.jpg
Sweep vs. MMM.jpg
Acoustic Panel Behind Speaker.jpg
Spectrogram.jpg

The office's floor plan (not to scale) is shown in the first figure. LP is set to 38% of the long room-length from the front wall. The KEF R3s and LP (chair) are set in an equilateral triangle. Floor is carpeted, ceiling is 9' high. A pair of cheap 10" subwoofers (an Infinity and Polk Audio) are about midpoint along the side wall. A 50" plasma TV is on the front wall and two bookshelves are in the front corners.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Nearfield at ~1m in a smallish room, there's not a whole lot to 'fix' with my KH120s and Rythmik F12 sub -- looks and sounds neutral enough & pleasing. Tried moving speaker further away ~2m, but it didn't really sound and measure optimally good. Recent (sitting position) measurements posted HERE. Most recent multi-channel measurements (sine sweeps of all channels in standing position) snapshot posted HERE (-2dB treble HF shelving instead of -1dB in the sitting position).

Although this sub will go as low as ~12Hz on the couch far behind, there's a gigantic null below 24Hz or so in my office desk MLP... so it made sense to just apply a low cutoff at 26Hz.

--

Final Sceptre S8 and Rythmik F12 sub measurements posted HERE -- until I get better room treatment.

Last edited:

wgb113

I like the concept of this but should we agree on what standard measurements to use? I'm seeing some mixed results that can lead to apples to oranges instead of apples to apples.

And should the moderators move it to the Room Acoustics sub-forum since this is more room/speaker related as opposed to speaker reviews?

mikewxyz

Right, left and average, 1/12 smoothing, from listening position - dispersion below 180 Hz is the kind of problem you typically encounter with an asymmetrical room, I suppose :

And I could do with a 100 ms shorter RT60 but I'm coming from a 770 ms average, bell-shaped RT60 curve, hence not so bad for my listening room :

@Fledermaus: How did you flatten your bell shaped RT60 curve? I have a similar problem in my large mixed use listening room but cannot add lots of room treatment.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Apart from recommended scaling, not much can easily be agreed as standard here. People have different mics and use them using different orientations — some hand-held, others with a fixed stand. MLP and distance also differs. Smoothing as well... not one single method is best for what I’m trying to see. But noting these clearly along with the posted measurements certainly would help.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
@Fledermaus: How did you flatten your bell shaped RT60 curve? I have a similar problem in my large mixed use listening room but cannot add lots of room treatment.

I added as much room treatment as I could :confused:, by covering a good part of the plasterboard walls with monochromes as pictured below : 10 cm (4 inch) deep wooden frames, stuffed with absorbing material (mixed hemp-linen-cotton panels intended for roof insulation and such) and covered with stretched fabric :

Mawclaw

Forum Donor
I posted this in another thread but I will add it here as well. In room response of KH310s at my desk. Moving microphone method with no smoothing.

Dirac on MiniDSP is the entire signal chain with dirac working below 800Hz.

It took a lot of measurements to figure out how to place everything but I am lucky to have a dedicated office area.

More pictures and information on this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...can-in-room-response-realistically-get.12916/
1591735203726.png

mikewxyz

I'm impressed with how flat most of the submitted SPL charts have been even without EQ. Here are my Sonus Faber monitors. My problem is mostly in the time domain.

I've been considering subwoofers for awhile now to extend the low end. I would run the gauntlet if I knew I would like the result. My problem is that I've never heard a great subwoofer set-up. Maybe this summer I'll audition some at the few remaining HiFi stores.

1591891896132.png

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After watching Audioholics' video on wide vs narrow dispersion speakers, I experimented with moving the acoustic panel from the 1st reflection point to behind the speaker. Measurements for comparison between acoustic panel positions were made using the MMM and REW. I also measured the acoustic panel behind the speaker using a sweep with the microphone at the LP.

View attachment 65590View attachment 65595View attachment 65596View attachment 65597View attachment 65598

The office's floor plan (not to scale) is shown in the first figure. LP is set to 38% of the long room-length from the front wall. The KEF R3s and LP (chair) are set in an equilateral triangle. Floor is carpeted, ceiling is 9' high. A pair of cheap 10" subwoofers (an Infinity and Polk Audio) are about midpoint along the side wall. A 50" plasma TV is on the front wall and two bookshelves are in the front corners.

Which setup did you end up preferring?

gvl

Major Contributor
Listening position, both speakers playing grills off. Bright-ish. Applying EQ correction with 1.6dB/Octave HF Fall Slope curve sounds much better. What can I do about the dips at 60/100/150Hz ?

Forte1.png

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Listening position, both speakers playing grills off. Bright-ish. Applying EQ correction with 1.6dB/Octave HF Fall Slope curve sounds much better. What can I do about the dips at 60/100/150Hz ?

View attachment 70307

I'd do spatial averaging or MMM just to make sure before trying to 'fix' those dips with EQ. If your listening area is much wider than a single seat, I'd probably leave some of the dips alone.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apart from recommended scaling, not much can easily be agreed as standard here. People have different mics and use them using different orientations — some hand-held, others with a fixed stand. MLP and distance also differs. Smoothing as well... not one single method is best for what I’m trying to see. But noting these clearly along with the posted measurements certainly would help.

I posted somewhere about measurements using different mic set ups etc. - see post 6:

Mic Positioning etc.

'My current attitude is to use microphone and software as a guide, not an exact solution.'

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Room is 6m long 3.8m wide 3.13 m height . Measurement with Revel F36 90cm from front wall and moving mic from back wall to room center in 16 steps. No room treatment, no DSP. White is average of all and quite similar to my actual LP 4,2m fromm front wall .1/6 smooting
Capture.JPG

With and without room EQ, forgot the smoothing used, looks like Psycoacoustic
Capture1.JPG.png

Room correction below 1000hz only 1/6 smoothing. Single point.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
O0mmLt3.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

View attachment 65590View attachment 65595

Visually the absorber behind speaker looks better than absorber at listening point, What sounds best?

tjkadar

Visually the absorber behind speaker looks better than absorber at listening point, What sounds best?

To be honest, I can't hear the difference. There is no way to do a quick A/B comparison. However, it measures better with the acoustic panel behind the speaker.

I'm working on saving enough money to get some real bass traps for the front corners and to put behind the speakers. Then I'll move the acoustic panels back to the first reflection point. This will help my small room tremendously.

Reactions: mmi
Top Bottom