• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

theoblue80

Hi guys,

A bit off-topic and a bit over-discussed, but maybe someone can provide a quick answer on this:

Is there any media player in Windows which can play back video files while directing the audio to the external DAC, so that the sound is reproduced at its full resolution? (e.g. video files with PCM 2.0 24bit/96kHz audio)

I had searched this in the past but I had not found any solid solution like e.g. Foobar for audio files.

Thank you in advance and sorry again for the off-topic question.

TomB

I know that there are often differing opinions here about subjective experiences. I understand that and value the measurements. I also realize that subjective experiences are in the realm of opinion. I have a Toneboard and I am quite impressed with it. I would be very interested in hearing about how the LA-QXD1 sounds compared to the Toneboard. Given what I have gathered about the two DAC's, I expect that they sound the same or quite similar to each other.

Given what I have gathered about the two DAC's, I expect that they sound the same or quite similar to each other.

Agree, its quite possible that the two DACs is indistinguishable in the majority of cases. Still, the only way to know is to do A/B testing. I'm quite curious to see in which situation does the superior measurements of the LA-QXD1 (SINAD, IMD hump) translates to audible differences.

Is there any media player in Windows which can play back video files while directing the audio to the external DAC, so that the sound is reproduced at its full resolution? (e.g. video files with PCM 2.0 24bit/96kHz audio)

In Windows' sound setting, scroll to the bottom to see "App volume and device preferences", then set the output of whatever video player you want to the DAC's ASIO.
Untitled1png.png

Daze

Please ignore this post. I had a faulty amplifier. That LA-QXD1 is working perfectly fine :)

I am now also owner of the Soncoz LA-QXD1. However, I have some problems with it.

I have the DAC connected via XLR to a Hypex NC122MP-based amplifier. I first connected it to my laptop via USB. For the power supply I could use either a second USB port of my laptop or a phone charger. Both work fine.

Then I used USB to connect it to my Raspberry Pi 3B+ running moOde and I got pretty noticeable noise from the speakers.

I have connected the same Raspberry Pi with the same power supply to my Khadas Tone Board + O2 amp and I don't get any noise at all.

What can be the cause of these problems?

Last edited:

sinski

I am now also owner of the Soncoz LA-QXD1. However, I have some problems with it.

I have the DAC connected via XLR to a Hypex NC122MP-based amplifier. I first connected it to my laptop via USB. For the power supply I could use either a second USB port of my laptop or a phone charger. Both work fine.

Then I used USB to connect it to my Raspberry Pi 3B+ running moOde and I got pretty noticeable noise from the speakers.

I have connected the same Raspberry Pi with the same power supply to my Khadas Tone Board + O2 amp and I don't get any noise at all.

What can be the cause of these problems?

Khadas and QXD1 need different USB output settings in Moode. Use the newest Moode version.

Brab

Yes, I received a very polite response recently, June the 6th to be precise, saying that I will get a tracking number just as soon as the DHL courier can provide the numbers for the packages shipped. I'm guessing this is the same reason you have not got a tracking number yet. Most likely your package has shipped already and Soncoz is having to wait on the shipping company.

Hi, have you received a tracking number yet? Just trying to figure out how patient I need to be!

VielenDanke

Hi, have you received a tracking number yet? Just trying to figure out how patient I need to be!

I am happy to say that I have received a tracking number, I got it today in fact, It says my DAC is in Hong Kong right now.

origiri

Hey Ben I just received the QXD1 and its awesome. One question, the firmware the dac came with was V3.02 and the default volume is set to minimum when on. I flashed V3.01 to set the default volume to maximum.

But other than setting of the default volume was there any bug fixes on V3.02? How do i flash back to V3.02 I do not have the bin file. Thank you!

Ben1987

Audio Company
One question, the firmware the dac came with was V3.02 and the default volume is set to minimum when on. I flashed V3.01 to set the default volume to maximum.

You can download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V303.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V302.bin”.

Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V302.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V303.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;
3. These two versions(V3.02 & V3.03) of the software are suitable for the new batch of machines which will be shipped on June 1st.

But other than setting of the default volume was there any bug fixes on V3.02?
Tweaked the value of the DAC register (associated with THD + N) for better performance. It is possible to tweak the register parameters with each batch.

adriano93

You can download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V303.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V302.bin”.

Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V302.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V303.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;
3. These two versions(V3.02 & V3.03) of the software are suitable for the new batch of machines which will be shipped on June 1st.

Tweaked the value of the DAC register (associated with THD + N) for better performance. It is possible to tweak the register parameters with each batch.

I buyed my device beginning of may. So can i flash this firmware or is it only suitable for devices of new batch?

adriano93

This is for new production, but it doesn't change much. You can try it.The new batch of machines have no logo on the front panel.
Tried it right now, working without any problems.
Hardware control also works for my model :)
Is the only difference for new batch, that they have no logo?
Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
This is for new production, but it doesn't change much. You can try it.The new batch of machines have no logo on the front panel.
So we can try newest firmware on all LA-QXD right? :) just to confirm

What's the process for updating the firmware?

EDIT: Also, IIRC, weren't there issues with running this unit at max volume?

Last edited:
Top Bottom