• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LA Audio Show 2017: Day 1

c1ferrari

Forum Donor

noobie1

I got to spend Friday (3 hrs) and Saturday (3 hrs) and had a great time. Didn't get to a lot of the rooms. Of the ones I visited, I really enjoyed the SR room (didn't go for the demo)- Magico S7 powered by McIntosh. Also listened to the Magico S5 and S3's but they didn't sound nearly as engaging. Also really liked the German Phykics room.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Was there an Illusonic room?

Illuosnic-HE17%20-%2021.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was this a DSD-recorded session?
They had a Pyramix so I am assuming it is DSD captured. But did not ask. I can ask Cookie later what they did. Note that they were not committing to releasing those performances. I suspect they have to get contracts in order with the artists first.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I got to spend Friday (3 hrs) and Saturday (3 hrs) and had a great time. Didn't get to a lot of the rooms. Of the ones I visited, I really enjoyed the SR room (didn't go for the demo)- Magico S7 powered by McIntosh. Also listened to the Magico S5 and S3's but they didn't sound nearly as engaging. Also really liked the German Phykics room.
Was the Magico S7 and Mac the Synergistic room? If so, yes that sounded superb.

noobie1

Was the Magico S7 and Mac the Synergistic room? If so, yes that sounded superb.

Yes the Magico S7 and Mac were in the Synergistic room. They also had an S5 and Mac 2-3 rooms down. Sounded good but didn't have the WOW factor of the S7's. Also heard the S3's in the Magico room (301).

noobie1

Some other random thoughts.

I heard the 4367's on Friday with my wife. Listened to 2-3 songs. Expected to be blown away but was a little disappointed. It may have been because I came right after listening the Magico S7's.

I liked the Elac Adante floorstanding speakers quite a bit for the price. Sounded great but to my ear slightly veiled compared to the other speakers I enjoyed and mentioned above. Of course, the Elac's are less than 1/3 the price of the Paradigm 9H or 1/10 the price of a Magico S7.

Also, really like the Vanatoo speakers. Those little speakers sounded great.

noobie1

Wyred 4 Sound, KEF Reference SpeakersView attachment 7279 View attachment 7280

I was hoping to listen to some LS50 wireless at the show but didn't see any in the rooms I visited. The KEF reference definitely caught my attention initially because how well it filled the relatively large room for its small size. I wanted to love it but felt the sound was a little off (it didn't seem coherent at times).

I was on vacation so I also took time to visit the Schiit Audio brick and mortal store up in Newhall. They had a KEF LS50 (passive) attached to their high end components. Was disappointed by the speakers and disappointed by most of the Schiit DAC/Amps. Ironically, my two favorite DACs tested with headphones were the Gungnir and the basic Modi 2 (non multibit version). Couldn't really tell how good the Yggdrasil was since I only heard it with the LS50's.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Illusonic were at Munich, they covered their , modest stand mounts and sub with an acoustically transparent curtain, demonstrating the new 'immersive' software and the fact that you didn't need huge loudspeakers for huge scale, but a blank curtain doesn't make for great photography!
Keith

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
They had a Pyramix so I am assuming it is DSD captured. But did not ask. I can ask Cookie later what they did. Note that they were not committing to releasing those performances. I suspect they have to get contracts in order with the artists first.
Looking at one of the pics, a Merging Hapi and Korg (?) DSD recorder appear to be present.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
The one that Prism sound used at AXPONA was the active. So I assume nothing changed at this show.
A couple of amps appear to be in the pic...perhaps, they were static display.

SPFC

Hi Amir!

Great coverage and fantasist pictures. Really appreciate your show coverage!
On the Harman room, looks like the black revel model was the F36 from the Concerta2 line. How did it compare to the much more expensive Performa3 F208Be? The F36 does have a newer wave guide but it is a "lower end" speaker. I actually like its looks way better than the Performa3 line which has the black inserts on the top and around the drivers.
Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi SPFC. They only played the black unit for a short time. From my memory, it lacked some of the clarity and lack of distortion that the Be had. But still, it is an excellent sounding speaker and I think half the price.

Top Bottom