• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Don't High SINAD Receivers Exist?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
You can easily get 8 channel DACs. Dirac can run in software upstream of the DAC as I use.

Dirac is selling multi channel software ?
On their website I only see 2.0 or 2.1, but no more.
Their website is not very clear.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Lexicon RV-9 touts Dirac Live, Class-G hybrid amplification and high end DAC’s. Im hoping Amir gets his hands on a sample to see if the measurements justify the hype.

Even 100db SINAD would be really impressive.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I have used Dirac 7.1 Mch software since about 2016 on my PC using release 1.

It handled 196k PCM. I had no complaints about it or about or about the ExaSound E28/E38. In fact, I loved them. Really, they are absolutely the very best sound that I have had, superior to AVRs, prepros that that I have experienced.

The Release 2 or 2.1 are in Beta testing for the PC now for Mch. I am dubious as to whether in might take an another year or two in Beta. But, try release 1. I would try.

Thanks, by the way to Kal Rubinson. He help me and guided all the way, even to an “early adopter” model to Dirac and ExaSound. Beautiful.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They did when I purchased my Dirac EQ for Windows. That version has been deprecated unfortunately so don't know what is there now.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They did when I purchased my Dirac EQ for Windows. That version has been deprecated unfortunately so don't know what is there now.

I couldn't figure it out either, so I asked their support and they sent me this:

https://live.dirac.com/content/uploads/2020/03/setupvsthostwithdlp.pdf

On PC at least it's become a VST plugin and can be used w Jriver, EqAPO, etc. But that link is their official recommendation. Presumably same for Mac but I have no footing there

I'm still not totally clear on how the new bass management option fits in to the chain, nor do I understand how the channel routing would occur. Can I buy a 2nd 9038S, for example, and use EqAPO to select which channels are subs/mains? Or does it need to be a single unit like Okto DAC8, miniDSP SHD, etc

detlev24

It seems, for PC, there is still some Beta Testing for Dirac Live Bass Management ongoing. So far, only 2.n system layouts are supported.

Dirac Live Bass Control is already available for some AVRs, if I am not mistaken.

Wouldn't the bigger challenge be (how) to decode (proprietary) multi-channel audio on an exclusive PC setup? Most DSPs/DACs - for computer audio - do only process up to 8-channel PCM.

Last edited:

datrumole

You can easily get 8 channel DACs. Dirac can run in software upstream of the DAC as I use.

so, i use an HTPC at every one of my TVs. plex and yttv are my only sources of material. only have a 5.1 since my couch is against the back wall the additional rear channels never excited me

htpc (usb) --> udac8 (rca) --> 500asp/500a/500a for LCR
--> (2) inuke 3000d for subs
--> topping tp22 for surr

on all of my HTPCs i use EqualizerAPO to provide all of my room correction and channel separation. i've mucked with convolution filters (like how DIRAC works to a certain degree) however i've suck with just the standard peq as i felt the convolution filters cause a lack in dynamics, but i may revisit. also, i'm not aware of how i would generate the convolution filter for each of the speakers as a lot of software (or at least 2y ago) was only 2ch focused

after reading your udac8 review, i realize i may want to look at different options for 8ch out (really only need 7) and if i HAD to make it work with the ADA of the iNuke, i guess i could possibly get away with 6 (lord only knows how bad the inuke dsp chips really are)

so what 8ch DAC do you use or even recommend? ideally around that 3-500 dollar price range? using an AVR for preouts is an easy answer, also puts me at 1k, but unnecessary for sure

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
so, i use an HTPC at every one of my TVs. plex and yttv are my only sources of material. only have a 5.1 since my couch is against the back wall the additional rear channels never excited me

htpc (usb) --> udac8 (rca) --> 500asp/500a/500a for LCR
--> (2) inuke 3000d for subs
--> topping tp22 for surr

on all of my HTPCs i use EqualizerAPO to provide all of my room correction and channel separation. i've mucked with convolution filters (like how DIRAC works to a certain degree) however i've suck with just the standard peq as i felt the convolution filters cause a lack in dynamics, but i may revisit. also, i'm not aware of how i would generate the convolution filter for each of the speakers as a lot of software (or at least 2y ago) was only 2ch focused

after reading your udac8 review, i realize i may want to look at different options for 8ch out (really only need 7) and if i HAD to make it work with the ADA of the iNuke, i guess i could possibly get away with 6 (lord only knows how bad the inuke dsp chips really are)

so what 8ch DAC do you use or even recommend? ideally around that 3-500 dollar price range? using an AVR for preouts is an easy answer, also puts me at 1k, but unnecessary for sure
okto dac8pro, top of line 8 channels DAC for 1K
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/
I plan to use it with Jriver, which supports all multi-channels codecs except atmos/DTS:X (through LAVFilters and related ffmpeg decoders)

datrumole

okto dac8pro, top of line 8 channels DAC for 1K
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/
I plan to use it with Jriver, which supports all multi-channels codecs except atmos/DTS:X (through LAVFilters and related ffmpeg decoders)

yeah, saw that, 1k is still more than i was hoping to spend considering the theme of this thread is the exception 100db+ 2ch DACs for ~100

there's got to be a way to get the 8ch I2S/ADAT/TDM out of a USB/MCHstreamer, and throw it to (4) replutable ~100ish 2ch DACs for around $500?

edit: Could you hook up (4) hifiberry DAC+ Pro's i wonder off a MCHstreamer I2S?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
yeah, saw that, 1k is still more than i was hoping to spend considering the theme of this thread is the exception 100db+ 2ch DACs for ~100

there's got to be a way to get the 8ch I2S/ADAT/TDM out of a USB/MCHstremer, and throw it to (4) replutable ~100ish 2ch DACs for around $500?
How are you doing volume control then ?
Adding a multi channel preamp between the dac and the amps ?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Windows volume mixer might not be that good.
As I understand, internal volume control of the DAC chips manage volume in the modulator of the delta sigma, and that it has less loss that a pcm volume control.

kaa

I have been trying to find a good DAC setup for my Stereo/Home Theatre. Here are pieces of the puzzle so far.

All sources (streamer, consoles etc.) --> TV (C9) --> eARC --> DAC (dac8 pro) --> Minidsp 88a --> AMP.

Missing pieces:
1. eARC --> DAC: I haven't found a device (DAC?) which can support this conversion. I have a 5.1 channel system so Atmos is not a requirement. Hence I could use the optical out from the TV instead of eARC. But how I get optical out to a usb in for the DAC8 pro?
2. Volume Control: I was thinking of a pre-amp like the Parasound P7 between the MiniDSP and AMP. Not sure if this would work or is optimal setup.

Appreciate any inputs or suggestions for the missing pieces or any other advice to get a good DAC setup for Stereo/Theatre use.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
1. Why would you put the MiniDSP after the DAC? Doing that, its A/D/A defeats all the value of the DAC8.
2. When you figure out the eARC(HDMI) --> DAC link, you might consider finding a discontinued miniDSP nanoAVR for EQ.

kaa

1. Why would you put the MiniDSP after the DAC? Doing that, its A/D/A defeats all the value of the DAC8.
2. When you figure out the eARC(HDMI) --> DAC link, you might consider finding a discontinued miniDSP nanoAVR for EQ.

Thanks. A newbie here... so some follow-up questions:

Does that mean, I have a choice of a good DAC or Dirac Room Correction but not both?

DDRC-88a Image

Last edited:

detlev24

Exactly. Unless, you go for the DDRC-88D, which is fully digital. // Edit: Or, you use the MacOS + Windows 10 software and a host like 'JRiver Media Center 25' or 'foobar2000' (no miniDSP hardware required).

Note, that the DDRC-88D's internal sample rate is 48 kHz in any case. In terms of audio fidelity, this is more than enough! However, higher quality external re-sampling to 48 kHz, prior to the DDRC-88D, might provide better results [on measurements].

Last edited:
Reactions: kaa

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Exactly. Unless, you go for the DDRC-88D, which is fully digital. // Edit: Or, you use the MacOS + Windows 10 software and a host like 'JRiver Media Center 25' or 'foobar2000' (no miniDSP hardware required).

Note, that the DDRC-88D's internal sample rate is 48 kHz in any case. In terms of audio fidelity, this is more than enough! However, higher quality external re-sampling to 48 kHz, prior to the DDRC-88D, might provide better results [on measurements].

Dirac does not provide a pure software version of their algorithms in multi-channel configuration.
They did it some years ago, but no more today. Latest software is 2.x only

Objectivist01

I have been trying to find a good DAC setup for my Stereo/Home Theatre. Here are pieces of the puzzle so far.

All sources (streamer, consoles etc.) --> TV (C9) --> eARC --> DAC (dac8 pro) --> Minidsp 88a --> AMP.

Missing pieces:
1. eARC --> DAC: I haven't found a device (DAC?) which can support this conversion. I have a 5.1 channel system so Atmos is not a requirement. Hence I could use the optical out from the TV instead of eARC. But how I get optical out to a usb in for the DAC8 pro?
2. Volume Control: I was thinking of a pre-amp like the Parasound P7 between the MiniDSP and AMP. Not sure if this would work or is optimal setup.

Appreciate any inputs or suggestions for the missing pieces or any other advice to get a good DAC setup for Stereo/Theatre use.
Does c9 support bit perfect out ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Dirac does not provide a pure software version of their algorithms in multi-channel configuration.
There is a beta out now, so public release is imminent.

Top Bottom