• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 Polarity discussion

NgxHS7

Could this be the way we unclog the review thread of all the repeated discussion over the Polarity output of the Topping E30?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I did some absolute polarity testing on myself (it was over in the E30 thread someone had linked a website that tested if you could tell the difference in a 'blind' scenario) - I only identified the samples with the correct absolute polarity 56% of the time over about 30 test samples, so I know I can't blindly notice a difference in sound between correct & incorrect absolute polarity....so for me that does reduce the importance of absolute polarity. When doing 'sighted' testing of correct absolute polarity vs incorrect absolute polarity I felt I might be able to identify a slight difference, but it was super subtle, and I couldn't reliably hear it, nor really nail down exactly what 'aspects/characteristics' of the music it was influencing. Having said that I'm a lot happier if I know the absolute polarity is correct, which is why I've applied the lastest 1.08 firmware to my E30 DAC which corrects the absolute polarity, but only does so for USB input (not the optical inputs), but I'm only wanting to use the USB input in my current setup so that's ok.

My current understanding is that Topping is aware of the absolute polarity issues and are now producing DACS that have the correct absolute polarity on all inputs, however there is a backlog of stock that is left to clear that has the incorrect absolute polarity....how quick that stock will be depleted is gonna vary between the different shops you might purchase it from. One store mentioned that they'll receive the 'fixed' DACS from June 10th according to a user posting in the main E30 thread.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems the E30s that have a serial number of 2004+ will have all fixes applied to the units.
Yes, someone over in the E30 thread posted that they'd contacted Topping and that's what Topping said.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just so all the relevant information is in one place:

• All shipping units should have the 1.08 firmware, which corrects the polarity issue for the USB interface.
  • If you have an older unit, with the older firmware, you can download the 1.08 firmware from here.
  • The above download comes with a firmware installer for Windows. If you need an installer for Linux or Macos, you can get one here.

conuss

Just so all the relevant information is in one place:

• All shipping units should have the 1.08 firmware, which corrects the polarity issue for the USB interface.
Why do you think this is all the information you need?.. It will only become complete when the manufacturer confirms that the floating polarity on the S/PDIF will only be resolved by hardware at the factory and from which series. After that, users will decide whether to send the device to the factory or use an unfixed polarity on two of the three inputs.
However, this official statement of the manufacturer has not yet been followed.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah! The only disadvantage of creating this new thread: all the miscreants who were thread-banned from the "Review" thread come roaring back.

Couldn't find anything else, on this entire website, that you had an interest in discussing, @conuss? Well, enjoy your little playground ...

conuss

Ah! The only disadvantage of creating this new thread: all the miscreants who were thread-banned from the "Review" thread come roaring back.

Couldn't find anything else, on this entire website, that you had an interest in discussing, @conuss? Well, enjoy your little playground ...
The impression is that some people in the forum have the right to be worthlessly frankly rude. Why do you allow yourself to lead an unworthy discussion without offering anything adequate in return? Your "wise" solution is designed exclusively for USB users, however, there are users of the other two inputs who want their communication with the device to be as complete.

OP
N

NgxHS7

The impression is that some people in the forum have the right to be worthlessly frankly rude. Why do you allow yourself to lead an unworthy discussion without offering anything adequate in return? Your "wise" solution is designed exclusively for USB users, however, there are users of the other two inputs who want their communication with the device to be as complete.
Once the DAC is in your hands, there isn't anything you can do at home to fix the optical and coaxial polarity.

You can:
1. Send it back to Topping (either ask them to cover the postage cost or do so yourself)

2. Get Topping to send you a new unit. Or, ask for a refund (partial/portion) or the purchase price.

3. Update to v1.08 and only use usb.

4. Don't worry about the polarity as you most likely won't be able to hear the difference.

conuss

Once the DAC is in your hands, there isn't anything you can do at home to fix the optical and coaxial polarity.

You can:
1. Send it back to Topping (either ask them to cover the postage cost or do so yourself)

2. Get Topping to send you a new unit. Or, ask for a refund (partial/portion) or the purchase price.

3. Update to v1.08 and only use usb.

4. Don't worry about the polarity as you most likely won't be able to hear the difference.
You say it correctly, even though it is already known. But this is you talking, not the manufacturer, who hid his head in the sand and in this situation does not officially confirm which series the product will get the proper quality and that this requires a hardware update with sending to the factory, and not a banal firmware. That's when EVERYTHING will be known about the issue and guided by this statement of the manufacturer, it is possible to demand everything you say.

Last edited:
OP
N

NgxHS7

You say it correctly, even though it is already known. But this is you talking, not the manufacturer, who hid his head in the sand and in this situation does not officially confirm which series the product will get the proper quality and that this requires a hardware update with sending to the factory, and not a banal firmware. That's when EVERYTHING will be known about the issue and guided by this statement of the manufacturer, it is possible to demand everything you say.
Then you have no reason to fear.

conuss

Then you have no reason to fear.
There will be no reason to worry if the manufacturer releases such a statement, then it will be possible to use it, this is another matter. In the meantime, the manufacturer tries to hide the problem so as not to incur losses. An unworthy position. Moreover, far not all users will use free sending for revision and receiving again.

OP
N

NgxHS7

There will be no reason to worry if the manufacturer releases such a statement, then it will be possible to use it, this is another matter. In the meantime, the manufacturer tries to hide the problem so as not to incur losses. An unworthy position. Moreover, not all users will use free sending for revision and receiving again.
Then buy something else.

dpippel

There will be no reason to worry if the manufacturer releases such a statement, then it will be possible to use it, this is another matter. In the meantime, the manufacturer tries to hide the problem so as not to incur losses. An unworthy position. Moreover, far not all users will use free sending for revision and receiving again.

:rolleyes:

We get it. Repeating the same statements over and over and over isn't constructive. If you have this many issues with Topping, then it's time to move on. When you get your E30 return it, sell it, or burn it, then buy a DAC from a different manufacturer. I guarantee you it will be 100% perfect.

Last edited:

conuss

We get it. Repeating the same statements over and over and over isn't constructive. If you have this many issues with Topping, then it's time to move on. When you get your E30 return it, sell it, or burn it, then buy a DAC from a different manufacturer. I guarantee you it will be 100% perfect.
My constructivism was contained in the first message, but you have only inadequate emotions. You either don't want to go into the question, or you just can't figure it out.

dpippel

My constructivism was contained in the first message, but you have only inadequate emotions. You either don't want to go into the question, or you just can't figure it out.

What question? Can't figure it out? Please. Everyone who's been following the E30 discussion here knows what the problem is and what the remedies are, including you. We're just tired of hearing you complain about all of this over and over again.

Life's too short. Time to put you on the ignore list.

OP
N

NgxHS7

Why would I buy anything else if the device is fixed this way? Or do you want me to buy a second device and leave the first one inadequate at home?..
Talk to Topping.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hello ,

60 posts all in two threads about the same topic , if your a Audio enthusiast I'd encourage you to explore other areas of the form .

To help you move on in going to issue a temporary thread ban , 7 days , in which I hope to see you express interest elsewhere on ASR.

Thanks

zhaqenl

• The above download comes with a firmware installer for Windows. If you need an installer for Linux or Macos, you can get one here.

Hi samsa! I’m on Linux, so is there a prerequisite driver/firmware installation needed for this or can I just jump straight to this? Do I need to run the following commands sequentially, or do I only need to run a specific one? (Btw, what do the --upload and --download options mean, are they upload firmware and download firmware, respectively?)

Code:
Now you can run any of the following commands:

./E30_dfu_tool --listdevices
  sudo ./E30_dfu_tool --upload currentfirmware.bin
  sudo ./E30_dfu_tool --download newfirmware.bin

Last edited:
Top Bottom