• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

chlipong

Another symptom:
- when I bitstream DSD64, I hear "white noise" with the music in the background
- if I convert it to DSD512, it sounds normal

I've tried 3 different PCs and 2 OS. It's the same from XLR and RCA outputs.
I factory reset it, but that didn't help.
Is there another thing I can try out?
I found your message while doing a google search because earlier today I downloaded free DSD64 sample files from nativedsd.com to give it a go but all I could hear at best was loud white noise in Jriver using ASIO and faint white noise using WASAPI.
I tried a bunch of things, different cables, different settings, no luck.
I switched to foobar2000, no sound, installed different things and finally was able to listen to the tracks.
I switched back to Jriver and looked further into > Tools > Option... > Settings > Bitstreaming : Yes (DSD)
This needs to be set to : None (recommended).

In ASIO mode, tracks can be played.

On SMSL SU-8 display : 352.8K with DSD64 files.

I'm using windows10 : USB > SMSL SU-8 > XLR > THX AAA 887 and Jriver MC26 x64.
(Sorry for my bad english but this exhausted me and as a result my english is even worse).

Last edited:

dewdude

So I've had this thing for a couple of months now. I thought I'd share an update.

I still love it.

I haven't found any "new" issues other than what I posted about in November. With my software setup; Win 10 -> Foobar2k -> ASIO DSD Transcoder -> Native DSD; it just works. The only thing I might notice is the resync between rates/formats but I've gotten so used to that little flaw that I seriously don't notice it; it didn't bother me before and it bothers me even less now.

NoFuzz

Just received the SU-8 and really sounded like it had to warm up. First impressions when listening at night were harsh, thin sound. Can't tell if it's my ears, my mind or my DAC but the next morning it sounded smoother and fuller.

Right now I am very happy with the sound I only hear music now. Well, most of the time. Sometimes I hear new things in old songs. That's what we want, right?

When checking the firmware version (is a factory reset the only way to check it?) it says v1.6.
Browsing through this forum latest I saw was 1.3. Is there a changelog of all versions?

For fun and reference: I'm using the "fast minimum" pcm filter and "standard" sound.

my audio system:
Tidal app > Chromecast Audio wifi/Toslink output>smsl su-8 optical in/XLR out>Music Hall A70.2 XLR in>Sonus Faber Toy Towers

Wiring: cheapest Toslink cable with mini & regular connector, DAP audio XLR 1.0m cables, DCSk basicline 2 OFC 2x4.0mm² (made in Germany: about 1,50/m)

df00

Hi All, been using the SU-8 for about 14 months and extremely pleased with the sound of this unit. The other day I discovered an unpleasant feature and would like to share in case anyone has any suggestions.

I've been using only USB input until a few days ago, when I connected optic, and discovered that my USB source gets angry when I switch inputs. When the input is switched away from USB, my Volumio on RPi4 starts complaining about the DAC not being available. After switching back to the USB input on the SU-8 it displays dsd512 and the Volumio RPi4 doesn't automatically reconnect. I have to fool around with the Volumio settings and play different files/souces before it finally reconnects. I haven't found any single action that makes it reconnect. I need to play around for a frustrating 2 minutes or so before it reconnects.

I thought it might be Volumio on RPi4, but I have a second Volumio on RPi4 feeding a miniDSP 2x4HD and that one doesn't have this problem when I switch the DAC inputs.

So the question is this: Is there any way to make the SU-8 keep the USB connection alive even if it's not using the USB input to play music? I suspect something like the Topping D10 between the Volumio and SU-8 will address the problem, but then why have the USB input on the SU-8?

Thoughts?

df00

Hi All, been using the SU-8 for about 14 months and extremely pleased with the sound of this unit. The other day I discovered an unpleasant feature and would like to share in case anyone has any suggestions.

I've been using only USB input until a few days ago, when I connected optic, and discovered that my USB source gets angry when I switch inputs. When the input is switched away from USB, my Volumio on RPi4 starts complaining about the DAC not being available. After switching back to the USB input on the SU-8 it displays dsd512 and the Volumio RPi4 doesn't automatically reconnect. I have to fool around with the Volumio settings and play different files/souces before it finally reconnects. I haven't found any single action that makes it reconnect. I need to play around for a frustrating 2 minutes or so before it reconnects.

I thought it might be Volumio on RPi4, but I have a second Volumio on RPi4 feeding a miniDSP 2x4HD and that one doesn't have this problem when I switch the DAC inputs.

So the question is this: Is there any way to make the SU-8 keep the USB connection alive even if it's not using the USB input to play music? I suspect something like the Topping D10 between the Volumio and SU-8 will address the problem, but then why have the USB input on the SU-8?

Thoughts?

Hmmm. I just connected my Mac mini to the SU-8 via USB and I'm not having the same issue. The Mac reconnects with the dac instantly after I cycle through the dac inputs. So it looks like it's a Volumio concern after all. But still, why the mindsp doesn't cause this on Volumio? weird.

Toku

Major Contributor

Thoughts?
On the SU-8, if the input is switched to OPT or COAX during USB playback, the USB connection will be disconnected, and switching to USB again will result in an error and will not function.
This is a common problem with SMSL's USB-DAC, and it works the same on the new M500. Topping products do not exhibit this symptom. Even if the input is switched, the USB connection will continue.

FireLion

To change the old version to V1.2, you only need to solder one wire as the picture below:

Thanks for yue's and amir's reminding.

To clarify It is important that you unsolder the anode of the diode as well. The anode should be detached from the board, and then connected to the +9v line on the other side of the board.

If you didn't have any electronic knowledge , don't do that!

把原先的二极管的阳级从电路板上焊下来,再用导线接到板子另一端的+9v引脚上,
否则短路9伏到5伏上会损坏机器,切记!切记!切记!
无动手能力与不懂电子知识人员请不要自行改装!

View attachment 18234
View attachment 18230View attachment 18231

Which PCB does this apply to? I have a 1.1 running on 1.2 firmware.and unsure if I need it.

FireLion

Wait is hardware v1.2 also called v2? Oopsie.

Last edited:

FireLion

V1.2 and V1.1 side by side HD.

IMG_20200512_161713.jpg

Jayce996

Hello there, quick question before buying it, can I use it as a pure DAC for my hifi system where i do not touch anymore the entry source as well as the volume (which would have been set to either Max or little bit lower) between every power ON & OFF. I would like to make it as a simple Plug & Play?

timindy

Hello there, quick question before buying it, can I use it as a pure DAC for my hifi system where i do not touch anymore the entry source as well as the volume (which would have been set to either Max or little bit lower) between every power ON & OFF. I would like to make it as a simple Plug & Play?
That's pretty much how I use mine. After playing with the filters, which I can't say I heard a difference, I sampled the dsp settings. I could hear differences with those settings and settled on "rich 1." I haven't touched the remote in probably 4 months, except to turn it off on the rare occasion.

peakbyte

After about 6 months of use, I've yet to hear mine make any popping sounds. Gotta say though, never purposely tried to duplicate the issue, not sure why you'd want to.
Mmmm I am currently using the XMOS driver with the same version. I get popping when trying to reduce latencies under 512 samples with ASIO or using ASIO4ALL to use an ADC with the DAC. Regardless whether I use it alone with XMOS ASIO mode or with ASIO4ALL I get popping when trying to reach output latencies under 20ms @44.1kHz.

I am reformatting Windows soon and SMSL's website has been broken for me. Thus, I can't get the XMOS driver anymore. Could anyone here please upload me the driver?

Kind regards

Peakbyte

mikeburns

That's pretty much how I use mine. After playing with the filters, which I can't say I heard a difference, I sampled the dsp settings. I could hear differences with those settings and settled on "rich 1." I haven't touched the remote in probably 4 months, except to turn it off on the rare occasion.
Yup this is how I use mine as well, although now i have a RPi4 plugged in so I switch between optical (spotify/chromecast) and USB for the pi. Great little DAC.

TheSacredSoul

Couple of questions...

1. Are all 10th Anniversary editions version 2? Is there anyway to find out the version without taking it apart? Found a good deal on the 2nd hand market locally and am leaning towards it since I wouldn't have to wait for weeks for it to arrive.

2. Is this ESS hump noticeable at all to the average listener?

Would be using RCA out to JDS Atom for reference.

Thanks!

TheSacredSoul

Hey can I get some help guys?

I just bought a SMSL SU8. Connected to my Atom using RCA to 3.5. Selected the correct input on the Atom. Installed the drivers from the website. My PC can recognise the DAC. But I get no sound at all. Tried RCA to RCA as well and still the same. Volume max in windows and the dac. But I get no sound at all. Any help?

One thing I noticed is at everytime I restart, the PC doesnt recognise the DAC. I have to reinstall the drivers. I am on windows 10. Any help is appreciated.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey can I get some help guys?

I just bought a SMSL SU8. Connected to my Atom using RCA to 3.5. Selected the correct input on the Atom. Installed the drivers from the website. My PC can recognise the DAC. But I get no sound at all. Tried RCA to RCA as well and still the same. Volume max in windows and the dac. But I get no sound at all. Any help?

One thing I noticed is at everytime I restart, the PC doesnt recognise the DAC. I have to reinstall the drivers. I am on windows 10. Any help is appreciated.
That sounds quite odd. Can you try another input like coaxical or optical? Perhaps something is wrong with the USB input, in which case I would request a return.

lethe

I am having trouble getting this, SMSL SU-8, to stay connected to the PC. It will work but I have to turn it off and on and mess with it. I think that is is a driver issue.

I installed

1591230653535.png

Windows is still using the windows driver that is installed when I plug in the USB. If I go though and update the driver manually I end up getting this error

1591230776582.png

1591230969960.png

Can someone point me in a direction? I would like to be able to use this without it cutting out or just not working until I unplug, replug, turn off and on etc.

Thanks

detlev24

You might have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement [Option Two]. Furthermore, you might require to run the file(s) with administrator privileges.

In any case, do uninstall the "defective" driver package before you give those steps a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom