• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

WonderBoy

Read about Mike Moffat, Dave, Jason and crew... Schiit DACs (and AMPs) have a wonderful history beyond (way before) Schiit-- For example Yggy didn't just poof-- appear as a gimmick, it's iteratively built on possibly the 1st standalone 198~ dac, psaudio will playfully debate this as 1st haha. Just look at that beast internally for a cool 2K. Yggy is quietly amongst the best DACs in the world, and they are still playing with it, upgrading it.

Last edited:

ruinevil

Forum Donor
Is there a streaming DAC, possibly Roon capable to come....? ;)

- Rich

I don't think Mike Moffatt would push for a streaming DAC, since he doesn't like non-standard interfaces. He is part of the reason Schiit didn't invest in their USB implementations for years, since he though USB audio would sputter out eventually. He is also probably part of the reason they abandoned DSD and didn't involve themselves with MQA. Might make a streaming module though.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a more serious note, I really wish Amir could devise some kind of ingenious test that would measure RFI resistance of DACs and amplifiers. I live close to an airport and about 50% of audio devices pick up an annoying radar blip at a very low level depending on how the device is positioned. I have also had issues with my wireless router signal being picked up by various devices depending on the orientation of its antennae. The Modi 3 and the D50s both struggled with RFI in my situation while the D70 is dead quiet.

Might this be more a function of the power supply than the DAC itself?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We realized we were not serving a meaningful portion of our industry. We are now doing our best to address those customers. In the end, everyone benefits.
Good call. I bought the Modi 3 after the test results here improved markedly over the Modi 2. The subjective reviews were not enough for me to pull the trigger.

AudioTodd

plankton just an attempt to describe it, you'll know when you hear it -- cries? nah
Yeah, I get the concept, but don’t think I hear the claimed differences in “micro dynamics” that people say they do. I have enough gear of enough resolution to hear anything that is there and do hear many things when I compare my stuff from current to over 30 years old. The only things I cannot change are my ears, so I can only lay legitimate claim to what I hear or do not hear, not what your experience is.

Yes, by the way, we have had many improvements in many areas and I personally think one of the biggest has been in DACs. But - level matched - good electronics are very hard if not impossible to distinguish these days. Note I said GOOD. Crap is easy to hear. Speakers are another matter and different technologies and topologies of amplifiers can still have differences and most if not all of them can be explained.

Happy Listening and Stay Safe!

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Matched voltage and without knowing which unit is playing!
If both XLR:
-M400 output is about 5,40V at max (80 volume), according to @amirm review.
- With the ADI-2 DAC V2, lock the Ref Level at +13dBu, then -2db (So 11dBu, (+6 using XLR) = 17dBu = 5,48V!)

I'm really thinking about doing this.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Scientifically I shouldn't be able to right @VintageFlanker @amirm?

I hate to say anything other than praise for the RME, the very piece of equipment that opened my eyes to objectively good equipment.

It's just crazy because to me it sounds SO different. Can that be because of the voltage difference? I thought have less voltage would make it sound worse though.

bequietjk

I love seeing new dac reviews. And that it's a Schiit product measuring well? Hell to the yesssss

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm really thinking about doing this.
You missed the opportunity last time with ADI-2 V1 vs V2.;)
I thought have less voltage would make it sound worse though.
Not necessarily. It makes it sound different for sure.
Enough talking! :cool: Set voltage and ask someone to connect/switch both (you cannot know which DAC is playing). I you listen with headphones just turn around. I you're able to pock any above the other...

ShiZo

Forum Donor
My hpa4 has mutiple inputs too. Just gotta get my girlfriend to agree to help. Normally id get a friend to, but im quarantined.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Sure. That why your set-up is ideal for a blind test. Just switch A to B etc (without knowing which is A or B, of course).

Yes, just to clarify, can I listen to chosen songs multiple times knowing which one is playing and then go for the blind test after familiarizing myself with the sound and songs?

Because I'll tell you right now if I just go into it with a random song and no critical listening beforehand I'll fail 100%, no doubts about that, waste of time.

Theriverlethe

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/

Lest anyone drink from the River Lethe. And NWA guy was booted off Head Fi for calling Schiit out for the very same issue in another component.

Interesting... How would one go about replicating the issue? If I’m reading that correctly, you have to drop a metal rod or something through the case holes, creating a connection with a hot lead on the PCB, but I have no EE background.

I think nwavguy was banned for pointing out a lack of muting circuit on the first Asgard that could damage headphones under some circumstances, not a grounding issue.

Dana reed

personally I think DSD and MQA are unicorn formats meant to making copying more difficult or extract license fees or both. Even 96/24 PCM is overkill for most recordings. And certainly, since 87.4% of what I listen to is Tool, 44/16 or vinyl is pretty much what I'm going to get.

Theriverlethe

personally I think DSD and MQA are unicorn formats meant to making copying more difficult or extract license fees or both. Even 96/24 PCM is overkill for most recordings. And certainly, since 87.4% of what I listen to is Tool, 44/16 or vinyl is pretty much what I'm going to get.

24/96 is overkill for all consumer formats meant to be enjoyed by humans, but I might be in the wrong forum again.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think Mike Moffatt would push for a streaming DAC, since he doesn't like non-standard interfaces. He is part of the reason Schiit didn't invest in their USB implementations for years, since he though USB audio would sputter out eventually. He is also probably part of the reason they abandoned DSD and didn't involve themselves with MQA. Might make a streaming module though.

I’ll be putting together a raspberry pi this weekend with riopee. An integrate unit can use the analog or built-in DAC volume control. The pi will do digitally attenuation. Though, I am not sure if that will be audibly Inferior.

- Rich

Hemi-Demon

Great job, Schiit. Now please develop a Yggy 2, with dual AK4499, dual balanced, mixed with a Freya S, in one box with a remote, for the price of a matrix X ($2,000 US) and I will buy back in :), and be done forever. Please also consider labeling the front panel options versus the odd symbols for each input.

I will say that I have owned a modi, bitfrost MB, and gungnir MB and have enjoyed them.

Curious why the micro USB though?

Dana reed

24/96 is overkill for all consumer formats meant to be enjoyed by humans, but I might be in the wrong forum again.
certainly for formats for people to be able to hear, but even considering the noise floor of most recording environments, especially if recording analog instruments. Do you really need to hear more of the hum in the coils of the electric guitar?

Top Bottom