• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do you need this MiniDSP since there is D90? SPDIF/Toslink can handle up to max 24-bit, 96kHz only.

To overcome room limitations, lots of open space, no room treatment, asymmetrical speaker placement, etc.
I thought of trying Digital Room Correction to see if and how much it may help!

jae

Major Contributor
To overcome room limitations, lots of open space, no room treatment, asymmetrical speaker placement, etc.
I thought of trying Digital Room Correction to see if and how much it may help!

I don't know what would world well for you, but since your PC is the source could you not just apply software DSP right off your computer (using software) right into your D90? Although I'm not quite sure what your options are for "intelligent"/calibrated solutions out there using a microphone. If your EQ/DSP isn't complex that's definitely an option.

Last edited:

hmscott

Yes, DHL Express is superbly fast.

I ordered mine D90 MQA from ShenZhen Audio on 27 April, they took few days to test , shipped out on 1 May, received on 4 May via. DHL Express. A90 is even faster, ordered on 28 May , received on 30 May.
Yup, as long as it's an affordable rate I prefer DHL for China, otherwise Fedex is a bit slower but during the crisis they were more reliably predictable.
I noticed most MQA music file from Tidal Master MQA the display shown in D90 MQA is 44.1kHz & 96kHz sampling rate, few albums are 384kHz, one of the albums i come across is this Marianne Thorsen Trondheimsolistene - Mozart Violin Concertos (2006 MQA) . Digital source: Aries Mini
Yup, it's going to take time to introduce new Masters. I have built up a bunch of Masters playlists for myself though it's limited content as you say.

I'm mostly enjoying all the legacy content - looking for artists, genre's, songs I want to hear - it's more fun searching based on those criteria - my usual interests rather than seeking higher fidelity exclusively.

The M15 has far more listening improvements than just MQA Masters. And, I'm hoping the same for the D90 MQA / A90... :)

Gavin

hmscott, big thanks for suggestion, now looking into it :)
Just before i buy this setup, how you would compare it to: RME ADI-2 FS Balanced DAC Headphone Amplifier?

If i would be going for D90, there are different versions:
1. TOPPING D90 MQA Balanced DAC AK4499 XMOS XU216 I2S 32bit 768kHz DSD512 Bluetooth 5.0 Silver
2. TOPPING D90 Balanced DAC AK4499 XMOS XU208 I2S 32bit 768kHz DSD512 Bluetooth 5.0 Silver

Which one to choose?

Sorry for so many questions, but i would rather get proper information before i spend such money. I believe you are way more advanced user than i am :D

Big thanks for help

No necessary to make this comparison if you just want to enjoy music, not wasting time. Get RME FS.

Attachments

• 51A2DA7F-D703-44DC-B717-9591B9AF0789-1173-00000070E9276407.jpeg
    51A2DA7F-D703-44DC-B717-9591B9AF0789-1173-00000070E9276407.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 226

auronthas

Yup, as long as it's an affordable rate I prefer DHL for China, otherwise Fedex is a bit slower but during the crisis they were more reliably predictable.
The shipping fees is inclusive and 5% discount from seller and further coin-to-money exchange from AliExpress.

Yup, it's going to take time to introduce new Masters. I have built up a bunch of Masters playlists for myself though it's limited content as you say.
:)
Likewise, that's good organised playlists as individual's preference eg. MQA-Classic, MQA-Jazz, etc.
Not sure if Tidal can share playlist like Spotify? Cheers, enjoy music !

hmscott

The shipping fees is inclusive and 5% discount from seller and further coin-to-money exchange from AliExpress.
AliExpress is so much more usable when the DHL option is affordable with a particular product. FiiO BTR5 "Realm of the Sky Edition" from AliExpress had DHL included, but no coupon's available, and it also only took a few days to ship and arrive.
Likewise, that's good organized playlists as individual's preference eg. MQA-Classic, MQA-Jazz, etc.
Not sure if Tidal can share playlist like Spotify? Cheers, enjoy music !
Yes, you can share playlists on Tidal, right click on the Playlist (in the list of Playlists), go to the bottom of the dialog => Sharing->Copy playlist link:

Pop - TIDAL Masters
Listen to master quality versions of the best Pop tracks -- only on TIDAL. With TIDAL Masters
playlists we highlight the very best examples of Master Quality Authenticated recordin… Read more
Created by TIDAL — 37 Tracks — 1:56:04
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/90e99a13-92ce-4790-92b0-2b4b0a89f5ad

Clicking that will open it in Tidal Browser - save it as a playlist for yourself, then open the Tidal App on your android device or Windows / Mac for highest fidelity listening. Enable "Exclusive Mode" and "MQA Passthrough" in the Tidal app Streaming Options if you have it available as those are all Tidal Masters. :)

Last edited:

auronthas

Yes, you can share playlists on Tidal, right click on the Playlist (in the list of Playlists), go to the bottom of the dialog => Sharing->Copy playlist link:

Clicking that will open it in Tidal Browser - save it as a playlist for yourself, then open the Tidal App on your android device or Windows / Mac for highest fidelity listening. Enable MQA if you have it as those are all Tidal Masters. :)
Yes, it depends on seller offer, some provide discount, Ali Express coupon or other promotion.

Thanks for sharing the playlist. Cool, will add yours in my list . Enjoy music

hmscott

...Thanks for sharing the playlist. Cool, will add yours in my list . Enjoy music
That was an example of sharing a playlist - that's a Tidal Created and Maintained Playlist :)

Pop - TIDAL Masters
Listen to master quality versions of the best Pop tracks -- only on TIDAL. With TIDAL Masters
playlists we highlight the very best examples of Master Quality Authenticated recordin… Read more
Created by TIDAL — 37 Tracks — 1:56:04

Here's a user created list. It's a single collection was listening to earlier this afternoon:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/00f6567c-ec7f-4bbb-a850-62ad9f46acc2

Here's another example user created Tidal Playlist - El Jefe uses it for his reviews:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/cff95e1c-fe8d-41e3-9ac4-d6a6c01b5a4e

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
As it is I can keep that Stream Settings dialog open and toggle "Exclusive Mode" mid-track
Are you 100% certain of this? I ask because my reading of the WASAPI specification* is that exclusivity is requested (or not) when an audio stream is commenced and cannot be changed until that stream is stopped.

Please feel free to prove me wrong, but right now I remain confident that although the playback software may happily accept the command to change from/to exclusive mode while playing, nothing can actually change until the current stream is stopped.

*All assuming that “allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” is selected within control panel

Pluto

Forum Donor
Here's a user created list. It's a single collection was listening to earlier this afternoon:
And jolly fine stuff it is too – mostly available in 24/96 if you should feel so inclined.

What is the difference between the standard 24/96 releases of this music and the MQA?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And jolly fine stuff it is too – mostly available in 24/96 if you should feel so inclined.

What is the difference between the standard 24/96 releases of this music and the MQA?

Mainly that only the MQA version can be had on Tidal . The whole MQA/ Non MQA for how you receive higher than 16/44 largely rests on who you choose as your streaming service, doesnt it? I chose Tidal (over Qobuz really) so by default am an MQA user.

Im not qualified to speak on the merits either of anything above 16/44 or whether MQA does actually provide that. If I was to ever BUY a music file again I would (within sensible price limits) buy the highest version I could find. Would never buy an MQA file- that makes no sense to me. But happy to play MQA through Tidal.

Pluto

Forum Donor
OK thanks for that. I would love to get hold of some truly top quality 24/96 stuff and its MQA equivalent so I could perform some tests.

Until someone can reasonably demonstrate otherwise, I shall continue to perceive MQA as “DRM in disguise”.

BobPM

I'd like to start this comment by saying that I believe subjective reviews have a place; however, this brand new youtube review of the Topping D90 reeks of confirmation bias:
. The one point that really strikes me is the reviewers statement that the Schiit Yaggy tests well right before he proceeds to claim to hear all sorts of clarity and space as compared to the flat presentation of the D90. Maybe I'm reading the reviews wrong, but the Yaggy seems to test rather poorly (as does the Bifrost). I have nothing against Schiit and own a Freya, but the older DACs seem a little behind the competition.

My default is if both test well, maybe their are subjective differences and accordingly I like to hear reviews. But, if it tests bad, it needs to be explained how you are not hearing some form of distortion.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK thanks for that. I would love to get hold of some truly top quality 24/96 stuff and its MQA equivalent so I could perform some tests.

Until someone can reasonably demonstrate otherwise, I shall continue to perceive MQA as “DRM in disguise”.

I'm coming round to that idea myself. Have a suspicion that in a blind test between the exact same version on 24/96 FLAC, 24/96 MQA FLAC and 16/44 FLAC , would be a crap shoot as to which users preferred. Or couldnt choose a favourite.

IslandMD

I'm coming round to that idea myself. Have a suspicion that in a blind test between the exact same version on 24/96 FLAC, 24/96 MQA FLAC and 16/44 FLAC , would be a crap shoot as to which users preferred. Or couldnt choose a favourite.
This is a great comment that nicely summarizes the fundamental problem with MQA. As far as I know, there has never been a double blind, level matched comparison of the "exact same version" of a song where they compared a file of the same bit depth and sample rate and MASTERING with and without MQA. I'm concerned that a lot of the sonic benefits that people are hearing with MQA are mainly due to different mastering and not because of the technical aspects of MQA folding/unfolding/time smear correction, etc.

Unfortunately, we may be facing a future where getting the best sounding version of an album may require the ability to decode MQA. Music publishers may find that MQA's DRM like features are irresistible. Could you imagine what would happen if a company like Sony bought MQA? There will probably be a day in the not too distant future where some music will only be available via streaming in a locked, MQA (or competing technology) version. What do we do when that happens? Buy new stuff and pay higher fees:facepalm:

I think it's nice to see a DAC like the D90 available in two versions for those that don't want to spend extra for a feature they don't want. I'm trying hard to avoid the slippery slope of supporting proprietary tech like MQA.

My appologies to anyone offended by my earlier comment about MQA. I get a little excited when I see MQA promoted as a wonderful new technology without considering the possible downside.

IslandMD

Rather than derail the conversation about Topping's D90 any further with MQA stuff, it might be better if anyone who's interested checks out this wonderful article that reviews MQA in a very objective and balanced way: https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsH...osGreatDebate:DoesMQAImproveSoundQuality.html

It's a little dated but it goes over MQA in a clear and concise way. Some of the pro-MQA arguments make me want to get the MQA version of the D90 (just in case).:D

goone

Just put in order with Apos sunday night tracking state won't be available until next week, what is so special about them?
Anyone get it earlier then 1 week.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather than derail the conversation about Topping's D90 any further with MQA stuff, it might be better if anyone who's interested checks out this wonderful article that reviews MQA in a very objective and balanced way: https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsH...osGreatDebate:DoesMQAImproveSoundQuality.html

It's a little dated but it goes over MQA in a clear and concise way. Some of the pro-MQA arguments make me want to get the MQA version of the D90 (just in case).:D

Given the source Im not sure this won't derail things further.

But it's got to be better chat than endless delivery status updates

Pluto

Forum Donor
I'm concerned that a lot of the sonic benefits that people are hearing with MQA are mainly due to different mastering and not because of the technical aspects of MQA folding/unfolding/time smear correction
I honestly do not believe that any mainstream record company would pay for an additional master to MQA specs. unless and until MQA becomes a significant money-spinner because either i) MQA Ltd. subsidize same to promote their system or ii) MQA prints sell in sufficient quantity to justify the process.

If the owner of the recording chooses to make 24/96 available to punters, I don't really see how the sell for MQA can work. And how on earth is MQA supposed to correct “time smear”, whatever “time smear” is supposed to be? Either MQA is a semi-encrypted approach to wrapping / compressing the data with which it is being fed, in such a way that only an MQA licensed device can fully unwrap it OR the moment it professes to be able to correct an alleged fault (“time smear”), it is being given the wherewithal to alter something or other – and that is not encouraging.

Music publishers may find that MQA's DRM like features are irresistible
The evidence appears to be that the profit in music sales is insufficient to sustain the new model of artiste self-promotion. The Sonys of this world like to deal with relatively few acts who are selling millions. When music sales involved physical product, the record companies and their distribution chains were relevant. If you are a potential million-seller now, the biggest problem is putting in place the means of taking the money and sending out the files in exchange for that money.

The idea of handling thousands of bedroom performers whose lifetime ambition is to make a thousand sales, is not in the Sony purview.

Are the DRM aspects of MQA really going to stop distribution of the material? How many bits do you get without the benefit of an MQA licensed device?

Top Bottom