• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 2

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The main problem I, and perhaps nobody else, have seen is the bass response getting mucked up by vibrations that seem to be worse when the mic is not better secured. A tripod seems to work OK for me; if I rest the mic on a stack of books on my listening couch, I get a different bass response. The treble response can also be impacted depending upon the mic; the books (HAM desk, whatever) can act as a reflective baffle.

I used to be a HAM and would like to get back into it, maybe when (if) I retire. The Red Cross has had a couple of classes but I have had conflicts both times (I am a mass shelter volunteer).

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
The main problem I, and perhaps nobody else, have seen is the bass response getting mucked up by vibrations that seem to be worse when the mic is not better secured. A tripod seems to work OK for me; if I rest the mic on a stack of books on my listening couch, I get a different bass response. The treble response can also be impacted depending upon the mic; the books (HAM desk, whatever) can act as a reflective baffle.

I used to be a HAM and would like to get back into it, maybe when (if) I retire. The Red Cross has had a couple of classes but I have had conflicts both times (I am a mass shelter volunteer).
Agreed. A mike tripod with a boom to hold it securely over your listening seat and braced by the floor is, what, a $25 item? Except, I had to pay about $650 for the very nice Samson tripod/boom that came with my now obsolete Audyssey Pro kit. It works great with the Umik-1.

It also goes without saying that HVAC noise during mike testing is a no no. Turn it off, but don't forget to turn it back on.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did Amir manage to do the 3rd part of the tutorial ?
Amir did not. Studios did not pay him for the third installment of the movie so it is not getting shot yet. :D

One of these days I will get around to it. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I hope so, I've already updated my install of REW three times while waiting, and I'm now having a hard time remembering where I stashed my miniDSP mike and a bag of weed.. :(. Plus I'll have to study the first 2 installments a couple times over again. You can't do this to us seniors. ;)

Sam Ash

Hi Amir, hope you'll be posting part 3 soon. It will certainly benefit some of us who've been eager to learn and have benefited from your excellent input which is easy to understand and follow.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Sam. I have indeed been thinking about tackling this as my next "project." So it will come soon :). What slows this part down is that I want to include real data and new way of doing it that requires setup and time to do.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi Sam. I have indeed been thinking about tackling this as my next "project." So it will come soon :). What slows this part down is that I want to include real data and new way of doing it that requires setup and time to do.
Seems I need to find 'new ways' to motivate you:D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Sam Ash

Amir did not. Studios did not pay him for the third installment of the movie so it is not getting shot yet. :D

Very kind and thoughtful of you Amir, I'm looking forward to it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Old Listener

I have been using an ancient Radio Shack sound level meter with an analog output and want to get a better mic. I have a few questions:

- The Dayton Audio UMM_6 doesn't seem to come with a cradle to hold he mic. What do you use?

- The Minidsp UMIK-1 is shown with a cradle on a short tripod holding the mic. I'd like to mount the mic. in the provided cradle on a camera tripod with the standard thread sizes. Is the provided tripod detachable from the cradle? Does the bottom of the cradle have a socket for a standard camera tripod screw thread?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Minidsp UMIK-1 is shown with a cradle on a short tripod holding the mic. I'd like to mount the mic. in the provided cradle on a camera tripod with the standard thread sizes. Is the provided tripod detachable from the cradle? Does the bottom of the cradle have a socket for a standard camera tripod screw thread?

No.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I have been using an ancient Radio Shack sound level meter with an analog output and want to get a better mic. I have a few questions:

- The Dayton Audio UMM_6 doesn't seem to come with a cradle to hold he mic. What do you use?

- The Minidsp UMIK-1 is shown with a cradle on a short tripod holding the mic. I'd like to mount the mic. in the provided cradle on a camera tripod with the standard thread sizes. Is the provided tripod detachable from the cradle? Does the bottom of the cradle have a socket for a standard camera tripod screw thread?
I disagree with Ray. I have a UMIK-1, which I use with a Samson folding mike tripod with boom. The mike cradle unscrews from the supplied mini tripod, and the cradle then fit perfectly on the 2-3' boom on the Samson. I think the thread size is about 9/16 or 5/8" with a threaded barrel connector.

I had the Samson mike tripod from my old Audyssey Pro kit, which I otherwise no longer use. I think using a mike tripod with a boom is better than a camera tripod, because the boom can be swung over the actual sweet spot listening position or other seats. Camera tripods don't usually do that. I have seen mike boom stands at Sam Ash, Amazon, etc. or other music stores for under $30.

I also think a tripod or mike stand sitting on the floor is going to be less susceptible to external vibration during the calibration than sitting the tiny supplied UMIK-1 tripod on a piece of furniture and duct taping it down. You know who I am talking about, Ray Dunzi!

Also, I would get the UMIK or Dayton calibrated from CrossSpectrum. It's maybe $25 more, but you get the all important 90 degree calibration curve on a thumb drive from CrossSpectrum, plus it is an individual calibration. Stereo or Mch, you want the mike pointed at the ceiling during calibration, so most direct and reflected sound will be coming at the mike from 90 degrees.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree with Ray. I have a UMIK-1, which I use with a Samson folding mike tripod with boom. The mike cradle unscrews from the supplied mini tripod, and the cradle then fit perfectly on the 2-3' boom on the Samson. I think the thread size is about 9/16 or 5/8" with a threaded barrel connector.

I had the Samson mike tripod from my old Audyssey Pro kit, which I otherwise no longer use. I think using a mike tripod with a boom is better than a camera tripod, because the boom can be swung over the actual sweet spot listening position or other seats. Camera tripods don't usually do that. I have seen mike boom stands at Sam Ash, Amazon, etc. or other music stores for under $30.

I also think a tripod or mike stand sitting on the floor is going to be less susceptible to external vibration during the calibration than sitting the tiny supplied UMIK-1 tripod on a piece of furniture and duct taping it down. You know who I am talking about, Ray Dunzi!

Also, I would get the UMIK or Dayton calibrated from CrossSpectrum. It's maybe $25 more, but you get the all important 90 degree calibration curve on a thumb drive from CrossSpectrum, plus it is an individual calibration. Stereo or Mch, you want the mike pointed at the ceiling during calibration, so most direct and reflected sound will be coming at the mike from 90 degrees.

I am thinking Ray's answer is based upon the question of using the UMIK mike holder with a photo or camera tripod. The threads won't work. The UMIK mike holder will screw off the small tripod and fit a microphone tripod. It uses the smaller European microphone threads.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I think you are absolutely correct, although I also happen to have this adapter that came with my Audyssey Pro kit that would make it compatible with standard threading on a camera tripod. But, try to find one on your own.

Bottom line. Don't use a camera tripod. Use a cheap mike stand with a boom.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am thinking Ray's answer is based upon the question of using the UMIK mike holder with a photo or camera tripod.

The threaded hole in the base of the UMIK-1 "cradle" is larger than the threads in my standard-type Velbon VE-3 Camera tripod, which fits the hole in the bottom of my Nikon and every other camera and binocular holder I used with it.

That's what Old Listener asked: "Does the bottom of the cradle have a socket for a standard camera tripod screw thread?"

21990-IMG-7736.JPG

Top Bottom