• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

pacman

There's no change on the display too. With the USB input I could tell when resolution changed.
It would have to change. Probaly there's something wrong with your setup on PC.

Note that optical can't play 88.1kHz files.

g_t_j

It has to be something within my PC's configuration indeed. I'm running Roon. What makes me unable to understand is that with USB it didn't have such problem.

g_t_j

For me, for future reference and for anyone having a similar issue, I found where the problem was.
I had to select ''For compatibility only'' under Roon's DSP settings. Now, the display changes depending on the resolution of the audio file is played. Thank you all for your help and contribution.

JhoeyBaliwag

Hi everyone,

Can someone recommend to me a good dac for 100$. Currently taking a liking to topping d30. My active speakers are the edifier r2000db and my input source would be my computer only. Will be using it for games and movies and some music. :)

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
DaPro

I've never really come across these types of more 'scientific' measurement reviews before and they have me a little confused, they have added quite a few extra variables when it comes to choosing an amp and I'm not sure how important they are vs your ears and own 'subjective' musings!, say you have a cheaper amp that measures well vs a very expensive amp that measures worse than the cheaper amp does that then mean the budget amp is 'scientifically' the better amp which also equates to better audio quality?

How important are our ears in the process of determining the quality of am amp vs these types of scientific measurements?

Last edited:

kndy-

Hi everyone,

I'm willing to upgrade my current installation : PC (Creative X-Fi Titanium) ==> Jack to RCA ==> FDA SMSL SA-50 ==> Monitor Audio Bronze 2.
Also have a Sennheiser G4ME linked to my soundcard.

With such great reviews, I'd like to try out this DAC. Do you really think I will have a step-up in sound quality?
Also, can you confirm I will be able to plug it in between my FDA and my PC with RCA to RCA cables?
My next objective is to upgrade to a "real" amp such as the Cyrus One or Audiolab 6000A (need the bypass function).

Many thanks

Mike123

Hello. Sorry for my English. I read this whole topic before buying my DX3 Pro V2. Therefore, I was ready for almost all the features. My first DAC was D10. But I needed a volume control, a remote control and the ability to connect a TV. I do not need a headphone amplifier. I did not buy D50S, because the price is higher. And I like the volume knob and LED, not the buttons and OLED. Version V2 is released 1907. Changes from the first version are almost all good. The good thing is that the DAC mode has been removed far into the menu. Now I'm not afraid that a high voltage signal put to the amplifier and speakers. Auto shutdown works well. But it’s bad that they removed the relay from the DAC output. Now there are electronic switch. And after turning off the DAC, I hear a big blow in the speakers. In D10, this was not. I also watched the response of the filters to a rectangular signal 10kHz 192kbit. I like filter 5. The best filter is the missing filter :) F-160.jpg

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
But it’s bad that they removed the relay from the DAC output. Now there are electronic switch. And after turning off the DAC, I hear a big blow in the speakers. In D10, this was not.
Please tell me.
You wrote "a big blow in the speakers", does this mean that the speakers pop at a loud volume?

Mike123

You wrote "a big blow in the speakers", does this mean that the speakers pop at a loud volume?
Yes. Very loud. My amplifier has an input voltage 1 V. The volume control is only in DX3. This waveform shows the output of the RCA after a long press on the multi-function button. 300 ms negative pulse, voltage 200-600 mV.
Bum.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes. Very loud. My amplifier has an input voltage 1 V. The volume control is only in DX3. This waveform shows the output of the RCA after a long press on the multi-function button. 300 ms negative pulse, voltage 200-600 mV.
View attachment 66411
Thank you for providing detailed information.
I read the pop noise report when you turned the power on and off, and tested it on my DX3 Pro Ver1 many times. As you said, in Ver1 there was no noise at all.
Actually, I bought a DX3Pro LDAC and was planning to compare the operation with Ver1, but I stopped buying because I knew this problem.

Mike123

Oops, another engineering mistake :). A solid state relay is installed to turn off the RCA. The relay operates on a voltage of 12 volts. It has an Aux_En trip signal. When the DAC is switched off with the button or from the remote control, the Aux_En signal is quickly disabled. It's all right? No ;). 12 volts also disabled. And as soon as the 12 volt capacitors are discharged low enough, the solid-state relay continue to transmit sound again. The speakers pop at a loud volume. Version 2 was getting ready very quickly. I want a mechanical relay back :( .

mikehoopes

Then for starters uninstall it because you don't need any driver for dx3 pro on windows 10. This is plug and play device. If it doesn't work as plug and play and your windows 10 version is relatively new then either something is wrong with your pc, or usb is broken on your unit. If it happens on multiple devices running up to date version of windows 10 then it's 100% broken.
Furthermore, the driver (4.82) has issues on my PC with recent Windows 10 builds.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the concurrent deployment of a Sennheiser MB Pro 1 BT headset, or AMD Radeon drivers for my RX 5700 XT, but I would, seemingly sporadically, get no audio and constant buffering on YouTube in Chrome, with hardware acceleration on or off, and no audio and stuttering in desktop video players.

The plug-and-play usbaudio2.sys has access to all of the bit depth/rate selections, and doesn't seem to have the video buffering issue (so far).

mikehoopes

Ok, the buffering issue returned, along with sporadic audio dysfunction (as in, no audio, no audio settings in Windows 10 - blank dialog for Sound Settings). I re-installed 4.82, and it appears to be fine, so far.

TiborG

He has already stated twice that the optical output is limited to a frequency of 88.2 kHz. This may apply to some old DAC in the AVR, but my 20 year old Sony DB 830 also handles 96 kHz. In my case, the DX3 Pro V1 decodes 192 kHz without any problems, as you can see in the attached photos. DX3.jpgFoobar.jpg
Realtek ALC 283 on PC, under Windows, under Linux Arch, MAC OS (hackintosh).

pacman

He has already stated twice that the optical output is limited to a frequency of 88.2 kHz. This may apply to some old DAC in the AVR, but my 20 year old Sony DB 830 also handles 96 kHz. In my case, the DX3 Pro V1 decodes 192 kHz without any problems, as you can see in the attached photos. View attachment 69718View attachment 69719
Realtek ALC 283 on PC, under Windows, under Linux Arch, MAC OS (hackintosh).
Your first assumption doesn't make sense, he never stated anything related with frequency limits. He was confused about relay clicks while switching sample rates.

...and DX3 Pro can't decode 88 and 176KHz files on optical output.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Your first assumption doesn't make sense, he never stated anything related with frequency limits. He was confused about relay clicks while switching sample rates.

...and DX3 Pro can't decode 88 and 176KHz files on optical output.
I just tested COAX and OPT with DX3Pro Ver1 and it works fine with all sampling rates from 44.1 to 192Hz.
In my experience, when using the USB-OPT/COAX converter, some products may not support 88kHz and 176KHz.

pacman

I just tested COAX and OPT with DX3Pro Ver1 and it works fine with all sampling rates from 44.1 to 192Hz.
In my experience, when using the USB-OPT/COAX converter, some products may not support 88kHz and 176KHz.
I used DX3 Pro V1 on optical for months and it DOESN'T DECODE 88 and 176KHz sampling rates. At the time I needed to resample to play my 88.2KHz files.

On USB all sample rates are supported.

TiborG

I used DX3 Pro V1 on optical for months and it DOESN'T DECODE 88 and 176KHz sampling rates. At the time I needed to resample to play my 88.2KHz files.

On USB all sample rates are supported.
setup audio.jpg
However, this is the first prerequisite for 192 kHz transmission. The output is functional both DAC to the amplifier and to the headphone output. Of course, the relay clicks but plays without a pause.
With ordinary plastic cable
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/bandwidth-limit-of-toslink/3592
limity.jpg

Last edited:

pacman

Top Bottom