• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Headphones under $300

CarlToft

I am looking to upgrade my headphones. My current ones are the aTH m50x. I am looking for some headphones that have heavy bass or some that you can eq. The spund quality has to be the best possible.

My amp is my supreme fx sound card but if the headphones need an amp i can buy one.

My budget is around $250 i can but them used if they are over 250 as new.

I know there aint a lot of information but these are the only requirements.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP
C

CarlToft

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I personally like the modified DT1770 but there are people that probably do not.
MSRP is a bit too much and modifications also require extra funds.
Personally I would not buy it at full price but the same was true for my DT1990 and HD800.

There are always people that are disappointed or are looking for the next best thing. At some point they decide to sell. Best to wait for this.
As the pads are changed anyway it does not matter that the original ones are worn.

I got mine second hand (from this forum actually)

Give the thread time and many headphones below and above your pricepoint will be mentioned.

Just have a look at the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adphone-s-do-you-own.4285/page-24#post-370148 thread and you will find a vast variation of what people like/own/heard/recommend.
Many of them are good headphones, certainly to the owners.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can buy them second hand for around E 200.- here and there. New pads, and possibly headband, will bring the price closer to E 300.- again.

OP
C

CarlToft

I personally like the modified DT1770 but there are people that probably do not.
MSRP is a bit too much and modifications also require extra funds.
Personally I would not buy it at full price but the same was true for my DT1990 and HD800.

There are always people that are disappointed or are looking for the next best thing. At some point they decide to sell. Best to wait for this.
As the pads are changed anyway it does not matter that the original ones are worn.

I got mine second hand (from this forum actually)

Give the thread time and many headphones below and above your pricepoint will be mentioned.

Just have a look at the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adphone-s-do-you-own.4285/page-24#post-370148 thread and you will find a vast variation of what people like/own/heard/recommend.
Many of them are good headphones, certainly to the owners.
Can you please give me a recommendation then? I think i like a V signature. I have the blon blo03 i know that they are iems but i think they are v shaped and a liked them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD650 is not V signature in any case. Consider that you can EQ a HD650 (and a lot of other headphones) to have a V or U signature as well.
Don't forget comfort, isolation, weight, clamping force, fit also play a role.

I have not heard the Blon and kind of mistrust IEM measurements. I usually do not recommend headphones. There are too many factors involved and have not heard all headphones. There may be gems I am not aware of and there are people that claim certain headphones are gems and to me they sound poor.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/recommended-ones/ shows a few that I personally think sound good.

OP
C

CarlToft

HD650 is not V signature in any case. Consider that you can EQ a HD650 (and a lot of other headphones) to have a V or U signature as well.
Don't forget comfort, isolation, weight, clamping force, fit also play a role.

I have not heard the Blon and kind of mistrust IEM measurements. I usually do not recommend headphones. There are too many factors involved and have not heard all headphones. There may be gems I am not aware of and there are people that claim certain headphones are gems and to me they sound poor.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/recommended-ones/ shows a few that I personally think sound good.
I like heavy bass so which one would you recommend?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I like heavy bass so which one would you recommend?

The HD650 is definitely not a bass heavy headphone.
Bassier but not exaggerated:

1 More triple driver over ear headphones (that's actually what it is called but is an on-ear)
Takstar Pro 82 (variable bass)
Sennheiser HD630VB (variable bass)
Custom One Pro (variable bass)
Sony MDR1A (warm, pronounced bass)
Meze 99 (warm, pronounced bass)
DT770 (depends on the model, there are several DT770)
ATH-M50X
Fidelio X2HR
HD569
SRH1540 (too expensive)
SRH840
MDR100AAP

Of course these all sound quite different and range from somewhat bassy to warm.
I would rather categorize them as decent headphones rather than 'best'.
There are many 'best' headphones, just not one that is best for everyone.

Last edited:

BigJim79

Make sure you check the Sennheisser Outlet, they offer decent reductions in B Grade stock that comes with a full warranty. If I'm not mistaken I think HD600s go for approx £180.
Solderdude has listed some very good options above, some I have owned or listened to. In fact, the Takstars are amazing for the money, you can use the bass port switch to increase that too if needs be.
They will all likely sound very good, I love the Blons, they sound like my 80's Tannoy DC-200 in an IEM, sparkly with some very nice bass, so perhaps read some reviews and go for that sort of tuning?

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
I would second solderdude with the used recomendation. If you get to know your locale used market, know what you want(make a list), and have some patience, you can get some great deals. Its key to do the research before hand so you can make snap decisions when they come up.

For example: I have never paid more than 40%msrp for used headphones in mint condition. Best find was a pair of Oppo PM-1 in mint condition with an after market balanced cable and 3 sets of pads(2 new) for $210USD.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you link a european website that sometimes have sales on them?

Keep an eye on the Sennheiser factory outlet, I picked up a pair of HD660s for £262 (~294EUR) a few weeks ago. Items purchased from the outlet have a full 2 year warranty and a 60 day, free return window.

Link to UK outlet (pick your country or nearest one at the top of the webpage): https://en-uk.sennheiser-outlet.com/

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The soundmagic hp1000 seems to get some hype. It is 225 dollars at Amazon, i bought for 270 in Ali Express with free shipping.

Top Bottom