• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantgarde

TankTop

I have no experience or measurements but I have stood in the same room as several pair.

pole: if you had the money would you and are they cool even if they aren’t that great?

1) would you if you could?

2) if they didn’t sound as sexy as they look would you anyway?

Tks

Major Contributor
Never heard of 'em. Got any links or images?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard of 'em. Got any links or images?
1590807502776.jpeg

Heard this model as an expo, I spent very little time in that room though and have no recollection how it sounded.

For a more conservative design and price, they have this:
1590807594720.jpeg

Looking at the Stereophile measurements of one (102dB sensitivity!), the crossover integration is really poor, but John Atkinson states he had to measure at 1/2 the recommended listening distance, so that may be why, but besides that the on-axis was not impressive, but the off-axis was surprisingly well behaved albeit very narrow and having the mentioned crossover issue.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time I was obsessed with the idea of getting Avantgarde Duos but think my older self would be less impressed by what may be a none-too-smooth frequency response (circa 1990s). The speakers I listened to were partly driven by Art Audio PX25 single ended triode amplifier. But having built quite a few SETs have since grown far less interested in such inefficient things, and would now be far more impressed by a system which delivered fantastic sound while only consuming a few watts of power!

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have listened to various Avantgarde speakers many times - in home, audio clubs, shows etc.
They can sound very bright. Love the "dynamics" and looks, but would never buy a pair. Actually, the sound makes me feel sorry for those who spend so much on them....

Tks

Major Contributor
The first, meh, never was too much of a fan of round horn speaker aesthetics.

As for the second ones, they look lovely. Shame to hear about the performance though.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first, meh, never was too much of a fan of round horn speaker aesthetics.

As for the second ones, they look lovely. Shame to hear about the performance though.

I agree, I love the look of the second ones (the Zero 1) and actually, the only (limited) measurements I can find on the second one actually looks quite good!

From Stereo Magazine:
Screenshot_20200530-000735.png

Very limited measurements by our standards but flat on axis seems to clearly be a goal.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
No measurements. I’ll try to do some but my wife hates it when I run them and the opportunities for doing them when she is out are limited during these lockdown times :)

I understand!
They look cool in your space. Are you happy with them

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have heard them and they just didn’t do it for me. Classic horn sound. Of course, I love my Magnepans and the horn guys don’t understand why.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Have heard them and they just didn’t do it for me. Classic horn sound. Of course, I love my Magnepans and the horn guys don’t understand why.
I own Avantgardes and fully understand why you like Maggies. If I had space and could afford two systems, I’d buy them

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I understand!
They look cool in your space. Are you happy with them

I love them.
Completely subjectively I love the big soundstage (yes I know… they are big so it's probably sighted bias), I love the dynamics and how they fill quite a big unevenly shaped room (roughly 4.5m X 10m).
Also, and this is important to me, I really like how they look. I bought them fully aware that a part of that decision had zero to do with how they sound or measure.

tuga

Major Contributor
Looking at the Stereophile measurements of one (102dB sensitivity!), the crossover integration is really poor

I don't think that the problem comes from the crossover but from the operating range of such horns.
A full-horn speaker must be at least 4-way. You won't any measurements of such behemoths:

FJuLiEv.jpg

Stereo & Image produced basic measurements of the Avantgarde Trio + Bass-Horn but most measurements are of 2-way + bass-bin horns, 3-way + subs if you are lucky.

By5PUZt.jpg

qSBAfa1.jpg

Uno XD (Stereo Magazin)

y2KGK3i.png

Uno XD (Fidelity Online) https://www.fidelity-online.de/avantgarde-acoustic-uno-xd-messungen/

5-UNO-FRE.jpg

10-UNO-hor.jpg

12-UNO-MAX.jpg

13-UNO-M101.jpg

f76a80cf-avantgarde-zero-1-xd-satin-white-324x332.jpg

Zero One active+DSP (Fidelity Online) https://www.fidelity-online.de/avantgarde-acoustic-zero-1-messungen/

Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1-Messungen-4.jpg

Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1-Messungen-8.jpg

Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1-Messungen-11.jpg

Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1-Messungen-12.jpg

LDKTA

Not a fan of their loudspeakers whatsoever and for the money, I could never recommend anything from that company... To each their own though. Preference is inviolate. After hearing the Duo Mezzo and XD, I’ve concluded that they are very forward and aggressive sounding. Regardless of program material or even volume, they hurt my ears to the point of a headache. However, that isn’t to say I wasn’t impressed with the dynamics of them. Both very expensive setups in large rooms with tube equipment. When I think of Avantgarde, Klipsch suddenly comes to mind and not the Jubilee (I actually enjoyed those). They can get ridiculously loud with minimal power though and put off a massive soundstage if you’re into that... Hopefully my comment isn’t offensive towards anyone as that is not my intent. That is my experience with Avantgarde though.

I’d be interested in hearing the Zero 1. Aesthetically, I find them to be rather intriguing and I’m pretty certain it is an active design.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have liked the ones I have heard. A friend has some.
The full range horns are too expensive for me and I wouldn't pay a fortune for the smaller ones which are actually box speakers for most of the music.
I preferred the Tune Audio Anima

Top Bottom