• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What where the size of the power supply for the fx audio voltage and amps ?

I comes with a 32 volt 4.5 a and should have much than 37 watt in 4 ohm if they used that power supply

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9685

I remembered that when I hear extreme distortions from amplifier, it's usually ground loop. Perhaps, the extreme distortions were caused by a ground loop. And, you unwittingly removed it somehow.

Westsounds

So what is the pick budget mini amplifier that performs greater than expected? Doesn't have to be mini, just cheap, pound for pound as we say over here :) Plenty of power would be a bonus

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the pick budget mini amplifier that performs greater than expected? Doesn't have to be mini, just cheap, pound for pound as we say over here :) Plenty of power would be a bonus
I'm afraid that remains to be discovered.
Or if you need just 5W, a Topping A90?

sychan

Forum Donor
It isn't really a consumer product, more like an audio hobbyist item, but the guys at Allo have a cheap, mostly plug and play amp:
https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.html

Allo's gear generally seems to be pretty solid when measured here in ASR (looking forward to seeing if Amir will be able to review the new Revolution DAC from Allo). By reputation, the Allo Volt is clean and very resolving. I have a Volt+D and it sounds extremely clean and detailed to me (subjectively) but I don't have instrumentation to measure things.

Westsounds

I'm afraid that remains to be discovered.
Or if you need just 5W, a Topping A90?
hmm, 5 watts I cant live with unfortunately. There must be something surely, how about a S..M.S.L 98e ? lots of power but I suspect the same sort of thing as whats on offer in the initial test here.
It isn't really a consumer product, more like an audio hobbyist item, but the guys at Allo have a cheap, mostly plug and play amp:
https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-stepped-attenuator.html

Allo's gear generally seems to be pretty solid when measured here in ASR (looking forward to seeing if Amir will be able to review the new Revolution DAC from Allo). By reputation, the Allo Volt is clean and very resolving. I have a Volt+D and it sounds extremely clean and detailed to me (subjectively) but I don't have instrumentation to measure things.

Interesting product looks really good especially with the step attenuator. But I do think I need more power these days there is nothing like having a good bit of drive in it if you need it.

Bushellj

I'm attracted to ABGN Hot-Tpa3255 because it is more powerful and uses a more recent amp chipset. What kinds of power supply do you recommend for this? The seller recommends 30V 6A although I may want more power to create headroom for Eltax Monitor 1.

you would be better to look at the original Aiyima A07 TPA3255 version with the two Power Supply Capacitors. This version above seems like a cost reduced version and I would not bother !!

For Power Supplies the Mean Well LRS-200-24 or LRS-200-36 seem to work well with these amplifiers.

miv

Not sure if anyone is visiting this thread at this point, but here goes:

I have in front of me an FX502SPRO and a pair of OPA228P op amps. My understanding is that 1) the op amps in the FX are not soldered in - are meant to be replaceable - and 2) that the OPA228P are an appropriate replacement. I'm less sure about 2), though, and wondering whether anyone has any insight.....

As to whether these would make any difference sonically: Heck (pardon language), they can't do any harm in that respect that can't be reversed, so long as nothing fries or melts.

The frying/melting thing is my obvious concern...... if I survived, I'd be without a desktop amp for the weeks it took for something else to arrive from China.

(Asking here for environmental reasons - minimising the unsustainable proliferation of low-interest threads.)

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry, I have no insight, but I haven't noticed anything from changing Op Amps on my old Asus STX. Of course, that board didn't fare well here, so I'm not sure it would have mattered. The way I look at it is, if an Op Amp would have made even a measurably appreciable difference, most manufacturers would have implemented the "better" one, in most cases, due to the minimal financial outlay across the Op Amp portfolio available.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can reply. However, my stance is that given the price of the product in question, I wouldn't waste my time on it with an upgrade, or perhaps, side grade, like this if I'd be out of a system when if the magic smoke is released. ;)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Search for 'opamp' in thread titles - the general topic has come up a few times in slightly different contexts. My summary: it rarely results in a measurable improvement, and there's a risk of possibly-damaging side effects, notably oscillation and DC offset. Unless you've got a way to blind test modified vs. unmodified with quick switching you won't be able to tell whether you can actually hear any difference, or of it's all in your head.

Having said that you'll _probably_ get away without lasting damage to the amp, so if it's a risk you're prepared to take then why not, in true "take nobody's word for it" style. Just remember that it's easy to fool yourself if you aren't rigorous about the listening tests (level matching, blind, fast changeover etc.)

miv

most manufacturers would have implemented the "better" one, in most cases, due to the minimal financial outlay across the Op Amp portfolio available.

\ I see where you're coming from there - but given that the op amp that comes in the FX amp is being sold at 50 pc /$2.27 US (4.5 c each!!) on ebay, and that the OPA228P costs almost 100 times that (!!!)....er,......well, to be honest, I don't really know what point I want to make...

miv

Having said that you'll _probably_ get away without lasting damage to the amp,

"Probably" will be good enough, I guess, when the project is rendered pointless by my having acquired a better amp. (Akin to last year's project of replacing the camera in my beloved Blackberry Z30 after I'd crumbled morally, jumped ship and bought a used LG V20. At least it's whole again, as it sleeps - probs - the big sleep in a desk drawer.)

I've ended up with two OPA228Ps because they were flagged (somewhere, by someone) as an appropriate replacement for some other op amp that was likewise flagged (somewhere else, by someone else.....) as an appropriate replacement for the NE5532 that comes in the FX502SPRO. If I remember correctly.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've ended up with two OPA228Ps because they were flagged (somewhere, by someone) as an appropriate replacement for some other op amp that was likewise flagged (somewhere else, by someone else.....) as an appropriate replacement for the NE5532 that comes in the FX502SPRO. If I remember correctly.
IIRC TI use the NE5532 in their eval board to get full datasheet performance out of the power amp chip. The FX502SPRO falls short of that performance, probably due to cost cutting in PSU caps and output inductors as well as PCB layout. While this is understandable given the price, it also means the opamp isn't likely to be the limiting factor - unless they've gone for an off-brand 5532 too.

drewdawg999

I've actually been a happy user of the Topping TP60 for many years. The caveat is that I use it to drive efficient single driver speakers, old Tekton 4.5's with the famed Fostex driver. Nice shimmer on cymbals and a tube-like sound that's quite pleasing to the ears. It does produce an electronic whirring sound but I don't hear it when music is playing so it's forgiven. This amp beats out a Rega Mira3 to my ears, a more exciting and lively sound.

20230126_184053.jpg

diego_cl

I have been using the FX502Spro amplifier since 2019, paired with a Meanwell LRS-150-24 power supply. Throughout this time, the "error" LED indicating protection mode has never been activated.

In my setup, I utilize a Topping D30 DAC, FX-AUDIO Tube-01 Preamp/Buffer, and Pioneer SP-FS52 speakers. The buffer level is set to around 10 o'clock, which is close to unity gain. Even when playing guitar through another amp simultaneously, I rarely raise the amp volume beyond 12 or 2 o'clock, as it becomes excessively loud for my apartment.

Although I'm aware that adding a tube preamp introduces some noise, I did it because of the positive feedback in various online forums, and following that kind of esoteric approach, I decided to replace the opamps with LM4562NA/NOPB based on recommendations. However, after acquiring another unit and conducting a comparative recording of both opamps using the same amplifier, we concluded that there was no discernible difference in sound quality.

One notable aspect of this amplifier, in my opinion, is its excellent performance when it comes to reproducing female vocals, particularly in the absence of busy instrumental arrangements.

The only thing I can't stand is that the equipment turns on every time it's plugged into the power outlet, so it can stay on for days whenever there's a power outage or someone has manipulated the plug.

I'm really looking forward to seeing an upgraded version of the TPA 3250 with noticeable audible improvements. However, I've come across quite a few negative reviews about the Fosi Audio V3. At the same time, I'm not sure if those negative opinions about the lack of clean volume in both amplifiers really apply to their use at home with moderate volume levels.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using the FX502Spro amplifier since 2019.....

I'm really looking forward to seeing an upgraded version of the TPA 3250 with noticeable audible improvements. However, I've come across quite a few negative reviews about the Fosi Audio V3. At the same time, I'm not sure if those negative opinions about the lack of clean volume in both amplifiers really apply to their use at home with moderate volume levels.
Hi, welcome to ASR. I too had no problems with my FX502S Pro, I sold it about a year ago. As a new Fosi V3 owner I can tell you there are NO problems with lack of clean volume. The V3 uses a different taper on its volume control. Compared to the FX502S, you have to turn the knob up a lot higher to reach the same volume. That is on purpose, so that you have more control. The volume goes up evenly the whole 360 degrees. Please check out Amir's test of the amp here. Once you get to 100% it will put out a LOT more clean power than the FX502s.

Owners who say it is not powerful have not used this kind of volume control before. See the photo taken from the V3 thread. It would be a great upgrade for you I think.
2023-06-27_08h17_04.jpg

x21

I quite liked my TOPPING TP-60 too when it was still working properly. Honestly for me I almost wanted to get a switch box and be done. Hopefully I can get it fixed.

Toku

Major Contributor
If the Fosi Audio V3's volume change feels strange, I think it's because you've become accustomed to the volume change of the Chinese product's wrong characteristic volume pot.
All audio equipment manufacturers in Europe, America and Japan have long used volume pots with the same taper A curve as the V3.
At one point, cheap Chinese amps made everyone so used to the wrong characteristics that even audiophiles didn't notice the mistake.
I pointed out this mistake early on to the Chinese companies, but they didn't know the difference between taper A and taper B. Nor did they try to understand it. For them, it's better to assemble and sell with cheaper parts than that.

If you use the taper B volume pot, just turning the knob a little changes the volume greatly, and it feels very powerful, but it soon hits the ceiling. Also, when the volume is lowered, the gang error, which does not occur so much with taper A, becomes large.

Top Bottom