• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you need two headphones but with a single volume control? Are they matching in term of sensitivity/impedance ? I believe HD6XX is harder to drive than Focal Elex, it should be HD 6XX to 2.5mm jack.

I think the headphone output 6.35mm and 2.5mm are shared power, try to unplug one of headphones, do you hear loudness?

I was doing it for AB testing, and yes it makes more sense for the 6XX to use the balanced 2.5mm jack, good point. I cannot hear any change in loudness when I unplug one though.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My budget loves to hear what you said. Thanks! What DAC do you use to feed your A50? After some months of reading reviews I have somehow narrowed down to E30 AK4493, yet I might spend USD 130 more on D50s with its dual ES90382QMs, if it sounds 130 dollar better with my mid-fi earphones and speakers.

D50s has Bluetooth 5.0 while E30 does not if that matters to you.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
hmmm,,,how much wattage do our phones actually need to deliver optimal sound?
I'm running HD 650s, so I'm happy with balanced and high power output

MalinYamato

casperl

Connect it with your D50s via RCA cables and "feel the electricity" should be gone. If not, try to plug it to some other power outlet (preferably in another room). Before you mess with RCA cables, unplug both of the devices from their power sources.

Everything is OK, these are relays, more precisely a relay.

I wanna at to this that it is indeed gone when RCA is connected to the DAC AND the DAC is connected via USB to the PC. But when you disconnect the USB the static is back. This probably means its deloading the static over USB to the PC and I can confirm that indeed my USB hub connect next to the DAC where my keyboard and mouse are connected doesn't function properly anymore. My keyboard is missing random keystrokes which is worrying to me. I haven't tried another power supply yet so I can't fully say that it is indeed the power supply causing it, so my next step is buying a proper power supply with proper shielding.

Anyone else having issues with this?

taudier

Hey, the a50 is announced as a "balanced amplifier" and i was surprised to not see xlr inputs, but maybe we can connect the cold signal coming from a balanced source, to the outter rca connector (usually connected to the ground) ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey, the a50 is announced as a "balanced amplifier" and i was surprised to not see xlr inputs, but maybe we can connect the cold signal coming from a balanced source, to the outter rca connector (usually connected to the ground) ?
Just use the RCA output from your dac. Don't think too much.

Veri

Master Contributor
It is SE in, differential 2.5mm out. Connecting half XLR does not make sense, just use RCA.
Upcoming A50s will be balanced 4.4mm out

raif71

Major Contributor
I read that the A50 rca out will be muted when A50 is turned on hence no pre-amp function. Will the A50s have pre-amp function?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that the A50 rca out will be muted when A50 is turned on hence no pre-amp function. Will the A50s have pre-amp function?

Hi John, could you please clarify this statement. How will the pre-amp function work on the A50s? Will the RCA out become active when the headphones are unplugged? (This is how my JDS Labs Atom works today).

Thanks Paul.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John, could you please clarify this statement. How will the pre-amp function work on the A50s? Will the RCA out become active when the headphones are unplugged? (This is how my JDS Labs Atom works today).

Thanks Paul.
A50s's preamp function works as Atom. L30 has a toggle in the front, as a90.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A50s's preamp function works as Atom. L30 has a toggle in the front, as a90.

Excellent, thank you. I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of the A50s. It will visually match my D50s, hopefully not move around as much as the Atom and give me something to plug a Pentacon balanced cable into (came with my HD660s). I might even add the P50 to complete the stack.

Wladimir

Hello,
I'm interested in buying whole 50 series stack as well, when A50s comes out. Any update on release date or progress? :) Thanks!

Top Bottom