• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of matching the MiniDSP SHD streamer/DAC with the March Audio P252 amplifier for my dedicated digital streaming stereo setup. Since the SHD has a digital volume control preamp section, I assume this is an acceptable match? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I figured I better ask anyway!

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Should sound great.

tw99

I'm thinking of matching the MiniDSP SHD streamer/DAC with the March Audio P252 amplifier for my dedicated digital streaming stereo setup. Since the SHD has a digital volume control preamp section, I assume this is an acceptable match? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I figured I better ask anyway!

The SHD spec says it does 4V RMS unbalanced output, which should be fine AFAIK.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2V for full power on Alan’s amps I believe, unbalanced

blodsbror

@March Audio The products are looking great!. Although, I'm a sucker for a silver finish. Any chance you would consider that down the road ?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi @blodsbror . We did make some silver finish units originally but demand for them was so low that it just didn't make commercial sense to continue with them.

So I'm sorry but no plans to produce any more.

Hemi-Demon

Is there a chance that you are going to send a P502 over for testing? I am interested in purchasing one, but hesitant to drop $1,100 without a verification test, since I can't listen to one first.

Voxy

Is there a chance that you are going to send a P502 over for testing? I am interested in purchasing one, but hesitant to drop $1,100 without a verification test, since I can't listen to one first.

I am also interested in the P502 due to space constrains. I am looking for a amp drive a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home.

OdysseusG

I had two P502s and a P451 in my cart with my year end bonus burning a hole in my pocket. About 80% of the reason I didn't pull the trigger is the foot dragging on sending amps in for testing, and about 19% concern about shipping times from down under conflicting with my impatience. I got a couple Rythmik F18s to tide me over until March's amps get favorably reviewed here, or the right ATI 54XNC or AHB2 pops up locally. The compact size is a definite bonus.

OdysseusG

Indeed, how timely. Measurement quirks kept it from reaching the very top of the NC500 ranks, but it's not remotely like it's broken or anything- excellent measured performance. Gotta say I got lost trying to follow March Audio's post #43, I felt like random words started getting replaced with "screen". I guess this is why I'm buying rather than even thinking of rolling my own.
Two P502s on the way. I'm about to travel for work, we'll see who gets home first.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
It's something I'm planning to as option. It won't be standard as the demand for it is so small.
I have a control system that I use in my hifi setup and it triggers my amp on and off. Currently I use an Yahama M-45 that has a physical power switch that I just keep on. With the P252 I guess that I would have to leave it on all of the time, or possibly bypass the internal power switch. Is there a downside to leaving it on all of the time (how high is the power consumption)? Also, I understand that it lives in a standby mode. Would bypassing the power switch and having the amp start up cold be an issue? Thanks in advance for any insight.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi @JDRCapeCod

The good news is the next batch of amplifiers all support 12 volt trigger as standard, its not an optional feature as I previously stated. The new cases with the extra hole for the socket arrive next week, the control board already supports the feature.

So this will take it in and out of standby. Standby is about 0.2 watts power consumption.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
Hi @JDRCapeCod

The good news is the next batch of amplifiers all support 12 volt trigger as standard, its not an optional feature as I previously stated. The new cases with the extra hole for the socket arrive next week, the control board already supports the feature.

So this will take it in and out of standby. Standby is about 0.2 watts power consumption.

That is great news. Is there a retrofit solution for existing owners? I have no problem wiring it up and mounting the connector if you could supply a diagram and parts list. I would also be happy to buy a kit if you plan on offering one. In the meantime, are there any concerns with leaving the amplifier always on? I really appreciate your quick reply!

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That is great news. Is there a retrofit solution for existing owners? I have no problem wiring it up and mounting the connector if you could supply a diagram and parts list. I would also be happy to buy a kit if you plan on offering one. In the meantime, are there any concerns with leaving the amplifier always on? I really appreciate your quick reply!

Any amp can be updated, but we would prefer it was returned to base for the change. It will require a hole to be drilled and a wiring change depending on which control board is already in there.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm kind of wanting some of these, and don't really need them. Hopefully lots of people will feel this way.
Yes, me too. Monoblocks for all of my speakers. Seriously, these look fabulous, all business. If only there were a 1000 into 8 monoblock ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi @JDRCapeCod

Well I like that's there's no 12v trigger on mine ha ha

Just think of all the electromagnetic nasties that might creep in through it too , maty won't be liking this idea either.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
Any amp can be updated, but we would prefer it was returned to base for the change. It will require a hole to be drilled and a wiring change depending on which control board is already in there.
OK, I will be in touch directly to figure out shipping, etc. What about leaving it on, is that a concern?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
OK, I will be in touch directly to figure out shipping, etc. What about leaving it on, is that a concern?
No its quite OK to leave it on.

However, and this applies to any electronics, you should be aware that electrolytic capacitors have a finite life. To maximise the life of the equipment you should turn off where possible.

The life depends on a number of factors such as temperature and ripple current etc so it's extremely difficult to put any accurate figure on the life. Life is usually defined as the cap value falling by 20%, so it doesn't mean failure, or that the equipment will stop working, but that it could start affecting performance.

In spite of this some context needs to be applied, the comments are just about how to get the longest life out of kit and that leaving it on is not going to make it fail any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom