• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200 vs Schiit Heresy

njw

I'm looking to upgrade from my current Topping A30 amp and after looking at reviews, both the Heresy and the SP200 all performed extremely well and had recommendations from Amir.

I'm currently stumped as to which one to get that would benefit my setup the most. What do people think is superior out of these two amps?

My current setup:
Focal Clear + Aeon Flow Closed
Topping E30

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking to upgrade from my current Topping A30 amp and after looking at reviews, both the Heresy and the SP200 all performed extremely well and had recommendations from Amir.

I'm currently stumped as to which one to get that would benefit my setup the most. What do people think is superior out of these two amps?

My current setup:
Focal Clear + Aeon Flow Closed
Topping E30

Price aside, the SP200 would be my choice. Will take a 4 pin XLR for a start, and XLR inputs gives much more flexibility with my existing kit. Im not sure from a purely sound quality perspective there is any benefit in one vs the other.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As you have the E30 why not wait for the paring L30 amp? ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

HDavidson

I have Focal Clear + SMSL SP200 + Topping D70. Everything works top. I advise you to use correction for Focal Clear. Changes them for the better. Any parametric equalizer is suitable for this.
Oratory1990 correction Harman target
before/after

ps. It is a pity that does not exist Topping A70;)

Attachments

• sddssdsdsdsd.jpg
    sddssdsdsdsd.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 218
  • fgfgfgfg.jpg
    fgfgfgfg.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
OP
N

njw

I have Focal Clear + SMSL SP200 + Topping D70. Everything works top. I advise you to use correction for Focal Clear. Changes them for the better. Any parametric equalizer is suitable for this.
Oratory1990 correction Harman target
before/after
Ahaha, I've being using oratory1990's eq settings for both my AFC and my Clears.

As you have the E30 why not wait for the paring L30 amp? ;)
Now that you mention it, actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RCA in, 6.35mm out, under 100nV power supply noise. Essentially the best of single ended.

Nice to be spoilt for choice. If I was to ask you which current or nearly arrived balanced and single ended in and out amp was best I suspect you'd say A90? Given the early reviews I know that wouldnt be boasting either.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Nice to be spoilt for choice. If I was to ask you which current or nearly arrived balanced and single ended in and out amp was best I suspect you'd say A90? Given the early reviews I know that wouldnt be boasting either.
A90 is a balanced amp. L30 is essentially the single ended part of A90. Only big difference is the external linear supply for best single ended noise and compatibility with other single ended devices. Eliminated the chance of ground loop.

poimandres

I had both the magni 3+/modi 3 stack and the smsl sp200/m200 stack. The build quality of the schiit stack is vastly superior, including the volume pot. I doubt there is a better stack around objectively and subjectively for less than the cost of the schiit stack.

WoodyLuvr

I had both the magni 3+/modi 3 stack and the smsl sp200/m200 stack. The build quality of the schiit stack is vastly superior, including the volume pot. I doubt there is a better stack around objectively and subjectively for less than the cost of the schiit stack.
Depends where you are in the world though... Magni 3 + Modi 3 = Baht 15,000 (USD 470) or Magni 3 + Modi Multi-Bit = Baht 22,200 (USD 695). An Asgard 3 amp only is Baht 14,100 (USD 442). Twice the price due to a combination of Schiit's exorbitant shipping costs and Thailand's high import customs fees :-(

poimandres

I should rephrase that to: for less than the cost of the schiit stack in the US. Sorry to hear about the shipping fees outside of the US. There isn’t much that can be done about a country’s import fees though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't look nice but I am happy with the SQ. And they deliver 0,3-0,6A current and up to 4W power!

Oooft. Certainly your money doesnt go to fancypants web design :oops:

Much like donations to ASR when I think about it.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think they will release this L30 next month?

Top Bottom