• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

hyperplanar

Corrected up to 400 Hz.
Single point FR/phase measurement, mic pointed between the two speakers, both speakers playing:
9.png

MMM RTA measurement, mic also pointed between the two speakers, both speakers playing:
11.png

Step response:
10.png

There's no treble rolloff if I measure one speaker at the time with the mic directly pointed at it. Also, it's an uncalibrated ECM8000. I think it has a bit of LF rolloff since the setup doesn't sound like it's rolled off in the bass.

Using Neumann KH120As with a KH750 sub, which is doing the room correction and phase linearization duties, pretty well I have to say.

Last edited:

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh boy. Buying a mic and learning to use REW and making good repeatable measurements and understanding the data and doing something about it... this is not going to be a distraction from my guitar practice, is it?

It will. It is a giant time sink. But in the end it is very rewarding. I just went through the basics and it took me forever - granted there was a lot of time spent futzing with buggy sound drivers that just had to be updated. I just used a mic I had on hand, but I have a umik on the way to do it all again for real.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Oh my!

Corrected how? And any subjective remarks. (Understood that blind ABX may not be practicable.)

Mannualy using rePhase. You don't need blind ABX, difference is night and day.

Amateur2020

hello,
Actually I have 2 sets,

1. consists of DALI Zensor 5 + 2 x MIVOC hype 10g2 subwoofers
1590222745659.png

2. consists of DYNAVOICE - DF8 towers
1590222839476.png

To me set 1 sounds much better but I don´t see too much differences in the RTAs.
Also in the EQ:
1590222941506.png

1590222975049.png

I modified the PEQs following the ideas that fórum members gave me about concentrating up to 500 Hz and there was a big improvement. Thanks again.

Soeey, I don't know how to make pictures smaller.

Best regards,

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hello,
Actually I have 2 sets,

1. consists of DALI Zensor 5 + 2 x MIVOC hype 10g2 subwoofers
View attachment 64921

2. consists of DYNAVOICE - DF8 towers
View attachment 64922

To me set 1 sounds much better but I don´t see too much differences in the RTAs.
Also in the EQ:
View attachment 64923
View attachment 64924

I modified the PEQs following the ideas that fórum members gave me about concentrating up to 500 Hz and there was a big improvement. Thanks again.

Soeey, I don't know how to make pictures smaller.

Best regards,
So are you using a DBX DriveRack for this or something else? @Amateur2020

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
Yes a DBX PA2. It is very easy to use.
Good to know. I was going to set up a system for a place where I didn't get to choose the speakers. I had in mind using one of those to correct as much as possible the speaker output. Looked very neat and possibly useful for lots of purposes. I ended up using software to EQ the source material instead to save the place money.

Behringer has a similar unit, but the DBX version looked better thought out to me plus I've got a bias against Behringer gear.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good to know. I was going to set up a system for a place where I didn't get to choose the speakers. I had in mind using one of those to correct as much as possible the speaker output. Looked very neat and possibly useful for lots of purposes. I ended up using software to EQ the source material instead to save the place money.

Behringer has a similar unit, but the DBX version looked better thought out to me plus I've got a bias against Behringer gear.

Is that bias based on past or present personal experience or past(early China mfg- assembly, leadless solder and the general great shit caps debacle) problems anecdoted by unhappy owners on the internet. We have no idea what percentage of sales these problems represented and Behringer was not alone with these problems.

I have a DCX2496, DEQ2496 and a cheap headphone DAC-amp. No issues with my experience(of one) over many years of use. :)

Uli Behringer set out to provide high performance audio available at much cheaper prices. I think a lot of the 'flak' Behringer received was from disgruntled competitors, competing sellers and audio snobs. This still lingers to this day.

P.S. I am not inferring that you are an audio snob.

Last edited:

Amateur2020

Hello,
DBX PA2 is easy to use, has the possibility of croosover for subs and a post PEQ for high, medium, low lines. Maybe is not the same as DIRAC or other more advanced systems but the ease of use because of the app, real time changes and front micro connection is very good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that bias based on past or present personal experience or past(early China mfg- assembly, leadless solder and the general great shit caps debacle) problems anecdoted by unhappy owners. We have no idea what percentage of sales these problems represented.

My initial bias is using units people I know own. They always seemed to be yucky to use if anything beyond just straight signal was the purpose. They worked. They were cheap. I didn't like using them.

There also was the period of unreliability again from people I know who used their gear. I believe the move to generally SMD construction helped their reliability problems. I don't hear of them just not working like used to be the case.

So while they'll do the job, they are not my first choice. It seems if you step up just one rung higher you'll be much happier with another brand.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Here are Revel F12s with a single JBL LSR310 Subwoofer. Listening position with no correction.

View attachment 64925

Where is the XO point with sub?

Btw, range 1500-4000Hz is looking like it would benefit from the correction. Range 3000-9000 is quite high, is the tonal baance on the bright side? Do you like it that way? :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is the XO point with sub?

Btw, range 1500-4000Hz is looking like it would benefit from the correction. Range 3000-9000 is quite high, is the tonal baance on the bright side? Do you like it that way? :)

I normally use it with correction. Crossover was set at 80 hz.

The grid there is just 2 db per division. So yes 3-9k is a bit high, but not hugely so. It doesn't sound bright in isolation. It sounds more correct when corrected ha ha! If you look 1.5-3k hz is more of a dip than the next couple octaves are too high (though they are a bit high). Corrected is what I prefer with the general gentle downward trend. Don't like bright electronics. Even without correction the F12s are a good listen.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I normally use it with correction. Crossover was set at 80 hz.

The grid there is just 2 db per division. So yes 3-9k is a bit high, but not hugely so. It doesn't sound bright in isolation. It sounds more correct when corrected ha ha! If you look 1.5-3k hz is more of a dip than the next couple octaves are too high (though they are a bit high). Corrected is what I prefer with the general gentle downward trend. Don't like bright electronics. Even without correction the F12s are a good listen.

You are right, 1.5-3k is only a little lower and 3-9k only a little higher, not really a problem. Have you looked at phase alignement between sub and mains? That dip at 80Hz may suggest it is a phase integration issue..

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, 1.5-3k is only a little lower and 3-9k only a little higher, not really a problem. Have you looked at phase alignement between sub and mains? That dip at 80Hz may suggest it is a phase integration issue..
It is a phase issue. I have the sub in one corner. It would work better in the center, but there is a fireplace there. In time I plan to add two more subs which can even things out some.

QMuse

Major Contributor
It is a phase issue. I have the sub in one corner. It would work better in the center, but there is a fireplace there. In time I plan to add two more subs which can even things out some.

I see. Can't you do phase correction? Did you set the delay for the mains to time-align them with sub?

Top Bottom