• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1. The OP (thread starter) is referring to DAC as the full device...part and implementation. And not the DAC, the part only, like from Burr-Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, ESS, AKM, Sakamamoto, etc.

2. It's about the implementation in combination in synchronisation @ the analog stage output. Some DACs are better than others...better implementation with superior parts (hand picked) and cleaner (less debris, jitter, ambient noise, ...).

3. You don't need a big caliber machine gun to hear the various sound signatures.
And you don't need to spend only fifty bucks to invest in the best; you can spend much much more for more or less depending of your ear's preference and common sense (fair balance between judgement, hearing and measurement) ⚖

The scale of the sound signature will weight with all the ingredients working together.
No guns needed, gold bricks are sufficient (hit your head with one and you'll hear what sound signature it has).

We have to be serious, we need to be serious, it is required that we behave as serious gentlemen. This is no joke, I take my DACs very seriously. Trolls can go play in the children sandboxes with their Tonka trucks ⛟

☯️ https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/884737-all-dacs-sound-same.html

P.S. How do you spell "throll", with or without an "h"¿

In english at least, no H. Trolling as in rolling

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Actually , he is right on one count. It isn't rocket science. But I would hazard a guess there is probably at least one member with a background in aeronautics / jet propulsion etc. Only got 10khz of hearing of course. They're just hear for the bonhomie and bar snacks.

I was a senior scientist at Lockheed Advanced Aeronautics, if that counts. My hearing survived the experience.:D

North_Sky

Major Contributor

1roger

He has been wrong an pretty much every count

Must admit im a bit amazed by people who believe im `wrong` when I basically haven`t claimed anything related to the original discussion ..other then people should perhaps be more open minded about what they perceive as actual facts. most people on here probably know more then me in relation to the technicalities in measuring, dac`s ++ and have not claimed otherwise. what is in short supply though is reading comprehension combined with the eagerness to put words into people mouths. potent combination:)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Must admit im a bit amazed by people who believe im `wrong` when I basically haven`t claimed anything related to the original discussion ..other then people should perhaps be more open minded about what they perceive as actual facts. most people on here probably know more then me in relation to the technicalities in measuring, dac`s ++ and have not claimed otherwise. what is in short supply though is reading comprehension combined with the eagerness to put words into people mouths. potent combination:)
The quality of your writing isn't helping our comprehension of your ideas one little bit.

1roger

talking with you and a few others here remind me of debating immigration with a left winger. hopeless and irrelevant statements galore. but my time here is long overdue so goodbye

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
talking with you and a few others here remind me of debating immigration with a left winger. hopeless and irrelevant statements galore. but my time here is long overdue so goodbye

Ta ra cocker.

Like buses , there will be another in just a few minutes. (edit, 22 minutes to be precise)

Oh, and you didn't say who in the immigration debate made all the hopeless and irrelevant statements. I have a suspicion.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
likewise. probably shouldn`t have opened my huge grammatically questionable mouth in the first place. have a good one!

Roger, I would stay if I was you, and use the same language as others use when speaking to you. That way everyone understand each other.

Or, just put the trolls on your "Ignore" ... voilà...la sainte paix.

Last edited:

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do we all agree that if we can hear differences between dacs we'd at least LIKE to be able to measure those differences? Does anyone disagree that we should be striving to quantify anything we can hear and make it measurable and repeatable, and hopefully less expensive to produce so we can all enjoy the best possible sound at a reasonable price? Also, do we all agree that sometimes our perception of what we hear can be strongly affected by our other senses and what we've been told about a situation? Don't we at least WANT to have a way of testing our own ability to actually hear differences between equipment without other sensory factors influencing us? How would we do this? Why again do some of you feel double blind testing is not effective? What would be the ultimate way to test this?

Or perhaps we should allow all factors in to our experience and seek the perception of good sound over all else. In that case it may be important to know that an item is expensive, or has some peculiar traits to the way it was assembled, or it has a particular look or smell or weight or operating idiosyncrasy that makes it fun to use and increases our overall enjoyment, making us perceive that it actually sounds better when perhaps it's actually doing nothing sonically different. I have no problem with that concept, as long as we know that's what we are up to.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Do we all agree that if we can hear differences between dacs we'd at least LIKE to be able to measure those differences?

IF we can do the former, we already can do the latter. I am unaware of any exceptions.

Top Bottom