• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old Formula 1 video. Nearly an hour long so only watch if you are interested in fairly historic F1. May be spoiled for some by me being in it

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Very cool video Frank. Just watched the whole thing, and it looks like you had a very nice little corner of the world to play in. Thank for sharing that. Love old racing documentaries.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Auto racing well captures Spengler's Faustian Spirit. I've always thought the best racing is the shortest and longest. Top Fuel on one end, and endurance--Le Mans or the free for all Baja off road. A lot can happen over 24 hours, or three and a half seconds.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just started watching, what year was the doc from?

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
F1 just fascinates me. As does Top Fuel drag racing. My 2 fav forms of auto racing by far.
Mine too, though I know very little about drag racing. The noise and extreme engineering, particularly the engines and tyres are just unmatched.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, Channel 4 before it became Channel 5.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I feel privileged being on the same message board with Frank. F1 just fascinates me. As does Top Fuel drag racing. My 2 fav forms of auto racing by far.

Top Fuel is some amazing shit. What those engines can put out and those tires can transfer over 1/4 mile is incredible. I haven't been to a top fuel race...but definitely need to. I'm hoping my reaction is better than this one.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, Channel 4 before it became Channel 5.
It was done for Channel 4 by an independent production company, Uden Associates, as all were I think.
The director had been with the BBC Horizon team.
I hadn't realised channel 4 had become channel 5, when did that happen and what is the channel 4 we have now?
He did one called "Gentlemen lift your skirts" about the attempted banning of ground effect in 1981.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was done for Channel 4 by an independent production company, Uden Associates, as all were I think.
The director had been with the BBC Horizon team.
I hadn't realised channel 4 had become channel 5, when did that happen and what is the channel 4 we have now?
He did one called "Gentlemen lift your skirts" about the attempted banning of ground effect in 1981.

I was only a young lad when I saw the Equinox about chaos theory. It fascinated me.

Then I discovered distractions and became the bum I am today. C'est la vie.

I was being facetious but at some point in the last 20 years (maybe around the time of Big Brother, maybe earlier) it became a different beast. But then, so did TV as a whole.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Fuel is some amazing shit. What those engines can put out and those tires can transfer over 1/4 mile is incredible. I haven't been to a top fuel race...but definitely need to. I'm hoping my reaction is better than this one.

I have always been fascinated by tyre dynamics (the tyre may not be very glamorous but it is the most important part of a car) and the wrinkle wall at the start and the big standing wave at speed on dragsters is fantastic.
F1 cars get the same, but much less visibly particularly since we started using radial tyres, so not many people know about it.
The engine failures are pretty spectacular too.

Top Bottom