• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Topping is not going to write XMOS DFU software for Mac, they are not a software company ....
It's nothing to do with being a 'software company' - it's a business decision. Someone has made the judgement that the cost of upsetting a subset of potential/actual customers is less than the cost of having the updater developed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's nothing to do with being a 'software company' - it's a business decision. Someone has made the judgement that the cost of upsetting a subset of potential/actual customers is less than the cost of having the updater developed.
Come over here and help us sorting it out :p The XMOS upgrader is a sub component from the package of the driver provider. I haven't seen anyone else done it yet. Please inform me my friend.

Tiller

I am in transition from D10 to E30 so I would like to know if the polarity issue of D10 has also been addressed with firmware apdate?
It may be off topic here, but I cannot find any reference to it.

Tiller

Thank you again for listening to us and such incredible speed to resolve, kudos to you and your team.

FYI - I am currently listening to the E30 on FW 1.08 with no issues to report :)
Glad to hear it.
Strange that on their page Topping says FW 1.08 is about part of pop sound and there is no mentioning of polarity(?)

mykeldg

can anyone confirm that the polarity is now positive after update? I still get negative on Mobile Tools Audio Control (via optical using a bluetooth receiver with optical out)

Last edited:

mykeldg

I tried testing USB via PC : downloading the pop test file https://studiosixdigital.com/support/downloads-2/speaker-pop-signals.zip
It shows positive.

But if I use Optical it still shows up as negative (using bluetooth receiver with optical out). FYI, I also tested before flashing and it was already negative via optical

One thing i have not done is measure via USB prior to flashing

Last edited:

bboris77

You guys, stop making me paranoid :)

I just tested the optical input on my D70 and the polarity is correct. By the way, this Youtube video is even easier to do the test with as it keeps switching polarities so you can easily see if your phone app is in sync with it or not:

Pimmsley

Toku

Major Contributor
As far as I know, Topping XMOS drivers are paid, personalized Thesycon drivers.
Thesycon provides also USB DFU tool for Windows and Mac.
I suppose Topping do not pay for both, but only for Windows tool.
Yes, the update tool supply route is exactly what you say.
The problem is that even if an update tool is prepared, it cannot be used.
Apple also does not allow the installation of required USB drivers. Only the USB driver prepared by the OS in advance is allowed to be used. If the E30 was an Apple product, there would be no problem. Apple is such a company, both good and bad.

Toku

Major Contributor
I tried testing USB via PC : downloading the pop test file https://studiosixdigital.com/support/downloads-2/speaker-pop-signals.zip
It shows positive.

But if I use Optical it still shows up as negative (using bluetooth receiver with optical out). FYI, I also tested before flashing and it was already negative via optical

One thing i have not done is measure via USB prior to flashing
This update is a firmware update for USB connection, COAX and OPT may not have been related.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
And for Mac users...?

You must have a friend with a Windows computer somewhere. It is just a one time thing. 90% of the world is using Windows. 7% of the world is using MAC. So the odds are very big you know someone with a Windows laptop you can use for 2 minutes.

AndyLu

Forum Donor

90% of the world is using Windows. 7% of the world is using MAC. Of those 7% how many people are using a Topping DAC? It takes 2 minutes on a Windows computer to do this update. You can't tell me you are upset because you have to use a Windows computer for 3 minutes. It is also what @Toku says: Topping also needs to get permission from Apple, which is a big hassle and they probably don't get.
There must be plenty of people around you who own a Windows laptop you can borrow for a couple of minutes. You are making a big deal out of nothing. There are more important things in live to get upset about.

Last edited:

facboy

90% of the world is using Windows. 7% of the world is using MAC. Of those 7% how many people are using a Topping DAC? It takes 3 minutes on a Windows computer to do this update. You can't tell me you are upset because you have to borrow a Windows computer for 3 minutes. There must be plenty of people around you who own one you can borrow. You are making a big deal out of nothing. There are more important things in live to get upset about.

Do those stats include all those office PCs which are of dubious relevance to the topic at hand?

FWIW I'm a mostly happy Windows user myself.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Do those stats include all those office PCs which are of dubious relevance to the topic at hand?

FWIW I'm a mostly happy Windows user myself.

Of course those stats don't include that. Also those stats do not include MACS on the topic at hand. That is completely besides the point isn't it? I was reacting to someone who got upset that there is no firmware updater for the MAC. I wasn't even reacting to you.

Top Bottom