• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Switching from Arcam Rhead to Aune x1s a good idea?

CaptainHavok

Hi!

Delved into the audio world 2 years ago with a little fiio e10k and rather quickly upgraded to a stand alone Rhead amplifyer.

A month or so ago i tested running the rhead straight from the motherboard (realtek alc1220 on msi z270 sli pro)

While i slightly preffered the audio on the fiio. The difference was so slight that the added vrms and convience of less cables/devices outweighed it.

Now ive been looking around trying to find a dac that has usb and digital in and also double analaouge out (1 could be balanced) and also digital out. This way i can connect ps4, computer, amp, 2nd amp(polaris) and speakers all in one device which would be neat.

Failing to find such a thing for reasonable prices i stumbled on the aune x1s which would do all the above. However i worry about the performance compared to the rhead. It will have less power for sure, and in terms of fidelity i have no idea. Looking for opinions. Maybe my motherboard is good enough?

Current headphones:
Fidelio x2hr
Senn 58x
Senn 6xx

Wishlist:
Akg 712 pro
Beyer dynamics 1990pro
Argon mk3s

Was thinking of getting a garage 1217 project polaris down the line.

Also I've been a lurker for quite a while. Thanks for all the help and reviews!

Vince2

I have an aune x1s and the measurements are good. The service for this brand is non existing in the US. At least, I did not get any response while I had a problem after 7 months.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Failing to find such a thing for reasonable prices i stumbled on the aune x1s which would do all the above. However i worry about the performance compared to the rhead. It will have less power for sure, and in terms of fidelity i have no idea. Looking for opinions.
Once both the rHead and X1S have been measured here, there is no place for opinion. ;)
You have the data to compare. Yes, you will lose power with X1S.

I owned the X1S few years back. It is a very solid unit. A good pairing with 712 Pro and Dt1990, with reasonably loud levels without distortion. It should fall short driving the Argon, tho. But I see really no reason to get this one with all the headphones you already have.

JIW

The Aune has an output impedance of around 6 Ohm. According to measurements of the X2 from innerfidelity, this will lead to changes in the X2's frequency response that may be audible: 0.2-0.3 dB peak between 20 and 300 Hz and a 0.1-0.2 dB increase from 7 to 20 kHz (the impedance curve is proportional to the relative change in frequency response) and damping will be between 10 and 15% lower depending on frequency (the lower the impedance, the more loss of damping).

In terms of output, the Aune should be able to drive the X2 and the HD6XX to about 120 dB SPL and the HD58X even higher.

1roger

"Once both the rHead and X1S have been measured here, there is no place for opinion. ;)
You have the data to compare"

equipment may sound different eventhough they measure more or less the same. silly mindset

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
equipment may sound different eventhough they measure more or less the same.
Believe me because I say so.

Would be far more relevant to have your technical explanation about what you're sayin.

That wasn't my point anyway: both Rhead and X1S don't measure the same, especially output impedance, so, of course they could sound different.

silly mindset
You're welcome.:cool:

Top Bottom