• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

maxxevv

Major Contributor
keep in mind the balanced output is the one u you want to use when you are in the need of power, a simple adaptor 4pin xlr to 3.5mm will let you enjoy the benefits of this second amplifier

Are you talking about 3.5mm 3 contact or 4 contact end termination ?

A balanced cable with a 4 pin termination can be converted into SE 3.5mm/6.35mm socket with an appropriate adaptor.

A balanced output socket CANNOT be terminated into an SE 3.5mm/6.35mm jack without consequences. (Unless your so called balanced output jack isn't really balanced to begin with. )

decebalus

I been using for 6 months the Sabaj D5 with a 4pin XLR to 3.5mm to drive 6 different headphones, the unit is working flawlessly, if the unit couldn't handle by now was already on "fire" and was just memories. Therefore my little experiment can be called successful, this is my expertise (when comes to this unit) and in 6 months i will be still here saying that still works fine.

I think we cannot disregard this very important fact but i'm happy to listen to someone that has expertise (not that claims, facts not words) why the Sabaj D5 cannot. And NO, sorry i will not consider Amazon review as expertise regardless if they're positive or negative reviews/feedbacks.

Veri

Master Contributor
I think we cannot disregard this very important fact but i'm happy to listen to someone that has expertise (not that claims, facts not words) why the Sabaj D5 cannot. And NO, sorry i will not consider Amazon review as expertise regardless if they're positive or negative reviews/feedbacks.
What you fail to understand is that a balanced output has more conductors than the 3-conductor 3.5mm standard could possibly transfer.

So between your hacked "balanced" output and the plain single ended output, the volume is the exact same, except that you are taking unnecessary risks in shorting out the amplifier. It could be the Sabaj has protection for this, predicting certain users abusing the device. Great! You are still getting zero benefits of the balanced output. This is truly the essentials, I suggest you Google around a bit...

Tks

Major Contributor
no look let's make things straight here, you don't call me moron ! you have no expertise no experince and you have no clue of what you talk as a matter of fact you're major support to you're theory is a screenshot of some people which they left some feedbacks on Amazon, you're ridiculous ! i wasted enought time with you!

btw you're on AudioSCIENCEreview, not AudioAMAZONreview

Can you tell us who you would consider someone qualified to speak on these matters on this forum? Maybe we can bring him over to give you his take?

decebalus

What you fail to understand is that a balanced output has more conductors than the 3-conductor 3.5mm standard could possibly transfer.

So between your hacked "balanced" output and the plain single ended output, the volume is the exact same, except that you are taking unnecessary risks in shorting out the amplifier. It could be the Sabaj has protection for this, predicting certain users abusing the device. Great! You are still getting zero benefits of the balanced output. This is truly the essentials, I suggest you Google around a bit...

You should stop to make assumptions because so far they we're all wrong. By using the 4pin xlr (hack) i'm not looking to improve SQ i'm just getting the right amount of power that i need out of the unit because 56 mw are not consistently enough. But 1.3w are a different story, and even you should know that.

Sonically speaking as a human beign i fail to hear the so called improvement of 4pin over single ended. But unfortunately exists and i'm forced to use it despite the fact i don't want to. As well i refuse to spend hundreds of dollars in getting one extra cable for every set of headphones i own with zero benefits but several downsides.

Yes ! u get close to what i think is the case, here, hence the claim u did before where many rushed to like wasn't exactly appropriate. What i stated before is not "universal" neither i claimed is ! I claimed in the Sabaj D5 topic that this unit can handle this "abuse", i wasn't explicit is not like i got the chance to be....

Again u made assumptions that i don't know is an "abuse", neither i know the risks, and again u where WRONG. My money, my equipment, mine are the risks which i accepted without complaints, 6 months later i can call this a myth when comes to this unit but if u google there's plenty of people successful with other units over the web. As well u will find people which are not, this comes down to internal design, how many units poorly designed are out on the market sold for thousands of dollars or we want to deny that ?

Hence the "hack" will "be fine" (in the long term) on better designed units (this is a guess) but as a "concept" is not universal (here i invite u to read and understand the definition of the term in physics)

I feel i get the same kind of hate that NwAVGuy got back in the early days, and he ended by becoming a super hero in the community. Odd isn't ?! and we souldn't start to hate, we should try understand the "why" the meaning the purpose, collect information.... But when your glass of knowledge is to full you think you know everything = arrogance

In conclusion according to your mentality i should lower my intelect and call you moron as well ?! But i won't i'm well to educated for that.

decebalus

Can you tell us who you would consider someone qualified to speak on these matters on this forum? Maybe we can bring him over to give you his take?

Is not about a name, i want to make an example look Amirm owner and founder of this community, who was him back in the first day of this forum on the internet ? a mister Nobody, but quickly he managed to prove that is knowledgeable that his expertise had solid grounds, hence he got more respected in time.

Therefore if you have the expertise i'm happy to listen as i stated before, i'm sick to read people that they educated them self on google and 90% of the time are wrong, because worng was the information they collected and when an electrical engineer comes in they all shut up and suddenly they are not so knowledgeable any longer. I'm not saying is your case this is just in general.

Let me tell u what all this was for me and how my mind works. I start by thinking that i don't know Sh!t, but i want to learn and happy to do so at my own expense. Case scenario D5 unit: i was aware of all risks related but once received the unit i took it apart i had a good look inside and i got the feeling that i want to experiment, one month later i got one adaptor and one balanced cable for the t60rp, they we're both important to experiment more.

Fast forward till today, if the experiment was unsuccessful i knew back them that the unit will got damaged so then i would have ta take it apart inspect the board understand what failed get the part desolder/ resolder and fix the unit. To me was well worthed as a risk for the knowledge this experiment was potentially able to provide and the fun as well. I'm happy to fix things to learn how they work in deep details and the more complicated the more fun and engaging is for my mind.

I don't waste time in readings and the pretend i know, i do spend time in learning and practice and learn more and then one day get 60yrs old and say with confidence now i know, and only then dare to explain to the others in deep details how things works. If you notice the whole speech is based on common sense but i know c.s. is not a thing for everyone.

None the less, respect is due at all times and at all times we should not be there insulting each other, i don't think u feel good if i show up and i call u an idiot based on the fact that my monkey brain said "that, THAT is right !" :)

Veri

Master Contributor
You should stop to make assumptions because so far they we're all wrong. By using the 4pin xlr (hack) i'm not looking to improve SQ i'm just getting the right amount of power that i need out of the unit because 56 mw are not consistently enough. But 1.3w are a different story, and even you should know that.
Unbelievable. You don't GET the 1.3W over your hacked up connection. You don't have the conductors on your cable to even get any additional power. This is almost like talking to a brick wall . . .

Therefore if you have the expertise i'm happy to listen as i stated before, i'm sick to read people that they educated them self on google and 90% of the time are wrong, because worng was the information they collected and when an electrical engineer comes in they all shut up and suddenly they are not so knowledgeable any longer. I'm not saying is your case this is just in general.
This is as ironic as it gets. You don't get to reference nwavguy, you are the embodiment of a stubborn armchair expert who is as wrong on the subject matter as it gets. I really don't get how you talk with such audacity about something inherently, indisputably, wrong. Do everyone a favor, and I really mean this. PLEASE read up on the basics : https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/balanced_audio.html more specifically:

[...] interconnecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input >> your signal will still be unbalanced (AS IN NO ADDITIONAL POWER). However, with this method there are cases in which the user could experience high levels of (unwanted) distortion, and in the extreme cases, the output device could be damaged by plugging in a standard unbalanced cable. This paragraph. That's what you are doing!

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this guy is just trolling or if the D5 really can put up with that kind of abuse...

decebalus

Unbelievable. You don't GET the 1.3W over your hacked up connection. You don't have the conductors on your cable to even get any additional power. This is almost like talking to a brick wall . . .

This is as ironic as it gets. You don't get to reference nwavguy, you are the embodiment of a stubborn armchair expert who is as wrong on the subject matter as it gets. I really don't get how you talk with such audacity about something inherently, indisputably, wrong. Do everyone a favor, and I really mean this. PLEASE read up on the basics : https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/balanced_audio.html more specifically:

[...] interconnecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input >> your signal will still be unbalanced (AS IN NO ADDITIONAL POWER). However, with this method there are cases in which the user could experience high levels of (unwanted) distortion, and in the extreme cases, the output device could be damaged by plugging in a standard unbalanced cable. This paragraph. That's what you are doing!

The difference in output power is so noticeable, that i don't understand how u have the courage to deny a fact ! Regardless, the article is generic and not specific to this case.

But you know what i'm sick of you, i did not ask you're opinion i can't care less of whatever you have to say. None of the information you provided was requested by me or anyone else, put that little brain to work and understand the basics --->I DID NOT ASK YOUR INVOLVEMENT ! Do you understand this ? Or this small concept is to hard for ya ?!

On you're side you only have generic articles on my side i have 6 months of use in this way. And i get to reference who i want embodiment of the most primitive monkey brain that i had to encounter in the past few years. Here is not about everyone is about you're ego and stupidity go back to the ZOO.

To all the others, owners of this unit get to explore his full potential, by obviously understanding first all risks and benefits. Do your cost analysis.
All the best to all ya folks, in this hard days more than ever (@Veri: take care and take it easy monkey brain)

Last edited:

decebalus

I wonder if this guy is just trolling or if the D5 really can put up with that kind of abuse...
for God sake why everyone has to be a god damn liar ?! What do i gain by lying to you or anyone else ?! But what gains the industry in changing standards and forcing you to adapt by spending thousands of dollars in cables, new dac, new amps, new connectors, and so on...

So who's trolling ?! Connecting the brain before ? No ...never, after sure no question asked. Keep living on planet moon we're trolls are the natives.

All the best to ya as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
The difference in output power is so noticeable, that i don't understand how u have the courage to deny a fact ! Regardless, the article is generic and not specific to this case.
Feel free to elaborate on how your use case specifically defies these basic principles... I'd be quite intrigued how your use refutes the 'generic article'.

On you're side you only have generic articles on my side i have 6 months of use in this way.
An anecdote does not make something a fact. Better yet, imagine referencing articles on a audio science forum. :oops: what else am I supposed to reference? I'm only trying to show you the basics of how these things connect, literally.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Are you talking about 3.5mm 3 contact or 4 contact end termination ?

A balanced cable with a 4 pin termination can be converted into SE 3.5mm/6.35mm socket with an appropriate adaptor.

A balanced output socket CANNOT be terminated into an SE 3.5mm/6.35mm jack without consequences. (Unless your so called balanced output jack isn't really balanced to begin with. )

It all depends on how the balanced out is implemented. In a balanced headphone amplifier the hot and cold are usually in opposite phases, but the signal is their differential. This means that, if they are floating, and they are not relative to any ground, then one could join two "colds" and get a 3 pin signal. But of course this requires knowing how the output stage of the amplifier circuit is actually made.

Megatronic

Hello. Where can i download the latest driver for d5? On sabaj site i only see xmos 4.47.0 debug setup and in folder with firmware xmos 4.67.0. Which one needs to be installed?

A.Cristea

Hi guys,
i am planning to get this week the Audeze LCD-3 headphones and still debating which amp/dac I should go for.
1) amp/dac combo like sabaj d5 (460€) or topping dx7 pro(600€). (The XLR headphone input is optimal as i could then also upgrade to XLR headphone cables which imo make a difference)
2) get an amp like THX AAA 789(ca 400/450€), SMSL SP200 (300€) or jds lab atom (no xlr input tho) AND link it with my focusrite 2i4 which would work as a DAC. Linking such amps to a D70/D90 would be probably better, but wondering if it's really worth it if i have the focusrite. Plus i'd prefer to keep my studio more compact (hence option 1 with the combo)

Cheers

sthEn

I've bought my first Sabaj D5 in march, but had to sell it next month. Today i got my second Sabaj D5 delivered from Amazon.

Couldn't live without it... life wasn't the same :D

Next: change M1060 cable to XLR (just for the looks) and i'm 100% happy.
Would that work just fine - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07X6M5LXS/ ?

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Bought 3. Living Room, bedroom, home lab. Also tested the SMSL M500, I prefer subjectively the Sabaj just in the point of form factor.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hi guys,
i am planning to get this week the Audeze LCD-3 headphones and still debating which amp/dac I should go for.
1) amp/dac combo like sabaj d5 (460€) or topping dx7 pro(600€). (The XLR headphone input is optimal as i could then also upgrade to XLR headphone cables which imo make a difference)
2) get an amp like THX AAA 789(ca 400/450€), SMSL SP200 (300€) or jds lab atom (no xlr input tho) AND link it with my focusrite 2i4 which would work as a DAC. Linking such amps to a D70/D90 would be probably better, but wondering if it's really worth it if i have the focusrite. Plus i'd prefer to keep my studio more compact (hence option 1 with the combo)

Cheers

Welcome to ASR.

For #1:
  • This comparison (between the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro) may be helpful for you: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-topping-dx7-pro-measurement-comparison.9636/
  • Balanced XLR headphone outs do not impact SQ; they only provide more power. With your Audeze LCD-3's (at 110 Ω and 101dB sensitivity) I don't think you'll need the extra power, but potentially good to have if/when you decide to acquire another set of headphones.
  • The output impedance of the Topping DX7 Pro was measured at 6.2 Ω. Not a concern for you with the Audeze LCD-3's but would be a concern if you picked up headphones with lower impedance. (IEM's in particular.)
For #2:
  • The Monoprice THX AAA 887 is potentially a good substitute (depending on price) for the Drop THX 789 as it has a 3-year warranty. (Drop only offers a 1 year warranty on the THX 789.)
  • Difficult to say how the Focusrite 2i4 performs (as a DAC) without measurements. The Scarlett 18i8 didn't do very well in Amir's testing; however, the Scarlett 2i2 is a competent DAC.

sthEn

Is front XLR balanced in Sabaj?

If i buy this cable - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07X6M5LXS/
Would i get "everything" that Sabaj has to offer? Even if that's not audible at all, and i won't hear any real difference using Monolith M1060?

Top Bottom