• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: Parts Express, Epique CBT24K Line Array Speakers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AXPONA 2017: Parts Express, Epique CBT24K Line Array Speakers
093A9256.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unlike other shows, these Don Keele CBT arrays were not in a dedicate suite but in a hallway shown by Parts Express. First time I went there I could not get proper attention of the salesperson to demo them. The second time with member SPFC we did get better service and these did not disappoint. They have the uncanny characteristic of CBT speakers with wide sweet spot and volume that does not drop appreciably as you walk away from them.

The kit is just under $1,000: https://www.parts-express.com/epique-cbt24k-line-array-speaker-kit-pair--301-984

Even though there are a lot of parts to it, you are just screwing in the drivers and plugging the corresponding plugs on the wiring harness into them. The rep said they are even easier to put together than a regular speaker.

For those of you not familiar with CBT, these speakers send out a concentrated beam forward which accounts for their low loss relative to distance. That is accomplished by "shading" each driver according to a mathematical formula (accomplished using simple resistors). Very clever. You owe it to yourself to listen to them at some point.

Note that they are not child or pet friendly in that they can topple pretty easily.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The second time with member SPFC we did get better service and these did not disappoint.

This is what some snobs don't get about the DIY sector. You were able to say what you said about speakers located in a hallway.

I've heard the higher end, actively managed CBT's, and these would most likely need a sub.

Top Bottom