• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic 177x vs 1990 pro

I've been looking online and couldn't find too many comparisons between the two which I'm assuming is because one is closed and the other is open however I've found a like new 177x on Amazon for $370 and could only find a brand new 1990 pro for $599. Is the price difference really worth it all around sound quality wise?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These are very different headphones, open vs closed, different impedance, different drivers, different headphone connector and different pads and different sound.
The only thing they have in common is the name Beyerdynamic and the overall dimension/build.
I suspect that the DT177x is closer to the DT1770.
DT177x will have much more 'body', can be driven from a phone (hence the word go) and doesn't seem to have the treble peak the DT1990 has.

The DT177x are sold by drop for $ 380.- new. These are not the same as DT1770 Pro.

Last edited:
OP
I
These are very different headphones, open vs closed, different impedance, different drivers, different headphone connector and different pads and different sound.
The only thing they have in common is the name Beyerdynamic and the overall dimension/build.
I suspect that the DT177x is closer to the DT1770.
DT177x will have much more 'body', can be driven from a phone (hence the word go) and doesn't seem to have the treble peak the DT1990 has.

The DT177x are sold by drop for $ 380.- new. These are not the same as DT1770 Pro.

I've watched countless of reviews on both and they all have been great. I have the means of getting either but I'm just wondering will the 1990s really show me a $250+ difference? Mind you for open headphones sake I'm coming from the 58x and he4xx. I'm really just playing games (some competitive) and listening to music (hip-hop/rnb/rock). So clarity in the mids/highs are great with some nice full lows and it doesn't have to sound super wide but a nice soundstage is a plus.

I don't necessarily need closed back headphones but Its a nice add on and from reviews I've seen people will use both headphones in the same use cases and only change when the environment calls for it which makes me decision harder because of the price difference .

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT1990 (depending on which pads you slap on) sounds quite different from DT177X.
The treble/clarity is higher than HD58X and the treble peak on the DT1990 is higher than that of the 400i
DT77x has more bass than all the mentioned ones.

Some will prefer the DT177X others the DT1990. In both cases it also depends on the pads. The drivers differ as well. I haven't heard nor measured the DT177x.
My DT1990 and DT1770 were both bought second hand. I would not pay the MSRP for them.

When you need closed or more bass/body go for the DT177X GO when you want more clarity/sharp treble go for the DT1990.

OP
I
DT1990 (depending on which pads you slap on) sounds quite different from DT177X.
The treble/clarity is higher than HD58X and the treble peak on the DT1990 is higher than that of the 400i
DT77x has more bass than all the mentioned ones.

Some will prefer the DT177X others the DT1990. In both cases it also depends on the pads. The drivers differ as well. I haven't heard nor measured the DT177x.
My DT1990 and DT1770 were both bought second hand. I would not pay the MSRP for them.

When you need closed or more bass/body go for the DT177X GO when you want more clarity/sharp treble go for the DT1990.

Thank you and this is pretty much what I was thinking. I was just wondering if the extra $250 was worth it for the difference in overall clarity and soundstage since some reviews say the 177x actually measures in those categories really well for a closed set. I'd imagine an overall better sounding headset than either of the two I own most likely. With the 177x I planned on getting the brainwavz xl pleather pads since I've heard they transform the lows while actually keeping the clarity in the mids/highs in exchange for a little soundstage. Makes the headphones sound that much better than stock for most.

OP
I
would you say the 1990 pro is superior to the he4xx in all categories? soundstage, lows, mids and highs?

Top Bottom