• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Galaxian

It have problems? or bugs of 1.5 stay? Is just a number after all.
It's not just a number. I paid for 32-bit, I had 32-bit and their update downgraded the device to 24-bit. This is their doing hence why many people are angry. To make matters worse they are doing nothing about it (there's going to be a negative review on Amazon if this carries on).

ryohnosuke

It's not just a number. I paid for 32-bit, I had 32-bit and their update downgraded the device to 24-bit. This is their doing hence why many people are angry. To make matters worse they are doing nothing about it (there's going to be a negative review on Amazon if this carries on).
Oh that 24bit limit is a downgrade. Ask for RMA is a must. Where do you find that firmware?

Galaxian

Oh that 24bit limit is a downgrade. Ask for RMA is a must. Where do you find that firmware?
On their website - they later pulled it. This is the point. It's their doing and we're supposed to send the unit back (so they can do the update) at a massive inconvenience.

scherbakov_al

Hello!
If this DAC is connected to Ableton, then what delay will Ableton show in the settings? Guys, please check! What buffer sizes does this device allow you to set? What will be the delay depending on different buffer sizes? Will I be able to play virtual instruments without experiencing latency issues?

Dexter_prog

Tidal mqa maxes out at 192, most is 96. Its probably reporting correctly with that set up. I'll find a 192, hold on
I found one at 384 (or 352 can't remember). It's called "nordic sounds", its classical music. I also found these sites to verify mqa bitrates:

http://mqalist.com/

https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=275323&page=1

On the other hand, I hope this firmware update issue is resolved. It's bad press for this brand the way they are handling things.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Dexter_prog

Indeed. Got it and my m500 reports it's playing that bitrate. Learn something everyday.
Cynics will probably say I'm listening to 330khz of nothing of course
Well... frankly I doubt I can hear a difference between 44.1 and anything else (probably really hardly would be able to tell it from 320 kbps - and that's why I got a 400 usd dac and didn't at more expensive DACs), but that's another discussion. I just like knowing I'm capable of getting these qualities in these files.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... frankly I doubt I can hear a difference between 44.1 and anything else (probably really hardly would be able to tell it from 320 kbps - and that's why I got a 400 usd dac and didn't at more expensive DACs), but that's another discussion. I just like knowing I'm capable of getting these qualities in these files.

Exactly that for me too. Needed a second DAC, this fit the bill.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Separate question- if you are a headphone user, how do you rate the HP output? Does nothing for me on any HP I've used on it.

Dexter_prog

Separate question- if you are a headphone user, how do you rate the HP output? Does nothing for me on any HP I've used on it.
Sorry, not a headphone user (other than some bluetooth/active headphones I use for gaming haha). Funny thing, I just realized my amplifier (vincent sv-237mk) also has a headphone out... wondering which one is better (just for the fun of it), since I don't know shit about HP amplification.

Which one is your main DAC? I mean since this one is your secondary.

I was between this one and the pro ject s2 digital, because I wanted something that could decode MQA (it's truth... that's yet another discussion) and went with this one because it had an extra digital in (someday I'll use it with my tv) and the balanced ins (some day I may have something that will require those). I was about to get the Topping D90 mqa version, but it was so expensive to get it in my country I realized this m500 one makes perfect cost/benefit balance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, not a headphone user (other than some bluetooth/active headphones I use for gaming haha). Funny thing, I just realized my amplifier (vincent sv-237mk) also has a headphone out... wondering which one is better (just for the fun of it), since I don't know shit about HP amplification.

Which one is your main DAC? I mean since this one is your secondary.

I was between this one and the pro ject s2 digital, because I wanted something that could decode MQA (it's truth... that's yet another discussion) and went with this one because it had an extra digital in (someday I'll use it with my tv) and the balanced ins (some day I may have something that will require those). I was about to get the Topping D90 mqa version, but it was so expensive to get it in my country I realized this m500 one makes perfect cost/benefit balance.

I have multiple head amps so running them together takes more than one DAC (or a switching box, which means leaving the sofa ;-) ) . My main DAC is the one in my Cambridge Audio CXN2 streamer- it also has optical and coax digital outs so slave the M500 optical to it- both devices have XLR and RCA outs so can run 4 amps simultaneously. But also run the M500 USB to laptop if I want to go full MQA.

Dexter_prog

I have multiple head amps so running them together takes more than one DAC (or a switching box, which means leaving the sofa ;-) ) . My main DAC is the one in my Cambridge Audio CXN2 streamer- it also has optical and coax digital outs so slave the M500 optical to it- both devices have XLR and RCA outs so can run 4 amps simultaneously. But also run the M500 USB to laptop if I want to go full MQA.
oh I see, that's nice.

Could anyone explain me the differences between filters? I google and couldn't find any info, nor can I hear a difference

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oh I see, that's nice.

Could anyone explain me the differences between filters? I google and couldn't find any info, nor can I hear a difference

Laymans- They basically adjust the speed at which the greater than 20khz (or is it 22- either way, at the very edge of audibility) frequencies roll off. So the fastest (Brickwall in some DACS) allows no signals above that threshold. "Slow" allow it to taper off....slowly. "Fast" is the opposite but not as absolute.

As we are at the edge of audibility anyway, depending on ears and equipment you might never notice. I'd leave as default (whichever it was on before you messed ;-) ) but wouldnt let it worry you.

Suspect if you search "DAC filters" on here you will see some pretty graphs that allow you to visualise and explain far better than I have.

Note- if MQA is doing its thing on the m500 it ignores these filters and uses its own filter (otherwise 192khz etc would just get cut)

Dexter_prog

Laymans- They basically adjust the speed at which the greater than 20khz (or is it 22- either way, at the very edge of audibility) roll off. So the fastest (Brickwall in some DACS) allows no signals above that threshold. "Slow" allow it to taper off....slowly. "Fast" is the opposite but not as absolute.

As we are at the edge of audibility anyway, depending on ears and equipment you might never notice. I'd leave as default (whichever it was on before you messed ;-) ) but wouldnt let it worry you.

Suspect if you search "DAC filters" on here you will see some pretty graphs that allow you to visualise and explain far better than I have.
oh yeah, I saw the ones on the review. But what would be the (technical) goal for picking one that rolls off faster if playing something that goes over 22 kHz? (I know I won't be able to hear it)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oh yeah, I saw the ones on the review. But what would be the (technical) goal for picking one that rolls off faster if playing something that goes over 22 kHz? (I know I won't be able to hear it)
For that you need someone that actually understands

toshu

If you buy this year, not need to upgrade anymore. All is the newest version. Don't use unofficial upgrade firmware.

The firmware can only be upgraded once, so it is not recommended for users who have not encountered problems to upgrade.

And the USB version upgrade succeeded will not appear on the machine, only change on the computer.so No need to doubt yourself.
View attachment 63333

If you have upgraded and found a problem, please contact the seller and return it for repair.
Since when did you limit the firmware upgrade to 1 time and where is this documented?..

Top Bottom