• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

The Dragon

Forum Donor
I expected these kind of response :p its just for fun, though. the relative differences I hear in real life is very much discernible and aligned with what I hear from the video. treble/tone controls are off and are in direct mode. But yeah, its no where near how it sounds in real life, the relative difference between the 2 is what I was trying to capture and if I use a decent headphone to listen, its passable to convey the relative difference.

And what "relative" difference might that be exactly?

mykeldg

And what "relative" difference might that be exactly?
you can listen for yourself and see if you hear any difference between the two. all external factors like youtube compression, mic/recording quality, methodology remain constant between the 2 dacs in the video so what is left is the relative difference between the 2.

anyway, I thought I was trying to be helpful. you can ignore my video if you feel violated by it ;p

would their really be an audible difference between the d30 and this one? wondering if its worth an upgrade down the road.

matt3421

unless you want remote volume control, there is no reason to stop using the d30. you won't hear a difference

The Dragon

Forum Donor
you can listen for yourself and see if you hear any difference between the two. all external factors like youtube compression, mic/recording quality, methodology remain constant between the 2 dacs in the video so what is left is the relative difference between the 2.

anyway, I thought I was trying to be helpful. you can ignore my video if you feel violated by it ;p

I don't feel "violated" as you say. I understand trying to be "helpful" and that is fine. However, as it has been noted many times on this and other forums, a comparison of youtube audio streams is an adventure in futility. I fail to understand what the value of listening to a distorted youtube mess is - other than possibly watching a little girl dancing around in this case. No audio quality - subjective or otherwise - can be discerned from this. There is simply not enough resolution to do a meaninful comparison.

Cujobob

would their really be an audible difference between the d30 and this one? wondering if its worth an upgrade down the road.

The screen and remote are nice features, but any differences would be so minute that it’s probably not worth upgrading for an improvement in sound quality. I bought one to replace a Schiit Modi/Saga in one of my setups. I’m moreso curious how it will sound as a preamp, but will be comparing it to the Modi as best I can.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Have you considered the possibility that it's precisely the way the Multibit measures (second-order harmonic distortion etc.) that makes you prefer it over the E30? I mean nothing wrong with preferring that, just go all-out tubes or something. But - unless you articulate that to your viewers - I wonder if it's cool to keep recommending the Multibit to everyone..

mykeldg

I don't feel "violated" as you say. I understand trying to be "helpful" and that is fine. However, as it has been noted many times on this and other forums, a comparison of youtube audio streams is an adventure in futility. I fail to understand what the value of listening to a distorted youtube mess is - other than possibly watching a little girl dancing around in this case. No audio quality - subjective or otherwise - can be discerned from this. There is simply not enough resolution to do a meaninful comparison.
Just curious -- what headphones did you use to observe distortion? I am using Audio Technica MSR7 when I was mixing.
It's true its not the same quality I hear in real life, but as someone who has heard the comparison in person and the recording, I can vouch that what I hear in the recording when I use proper headphones is atleast indicative of the relative difference between the 2 dacs in real life. Anyway, I won't go on to act as a proponent to sound demos, I was just doing it out of boredom. Weather or not you hear a difference and weather or not you believe in youtube sound demos is up to you.

Last edited:

mykeldg

Have you considered the possibility that it's precisely the way the Multibit measures (second-order harmonic distortion etc.) that makes you prefer it over the E30? I mean nothing wrong with preferring that, just go all-out tubes or something. But - unless you articulate that to your viewers - I wonder if it's cool to keep recommending the Multibit to everyone..
Its true the multibit measures poorly compared to the E30 and I am very much aware of that. I'm pretty sure its not second order harmonics though (but please feel free to correct me), what I do know is the noise floor is higher in the multibit than the E30 and the chip is limited to 16-bit. My preference was based purely on subjective music listening -- nothing more. Since this is ASR, I guess I'll spare my subjective views, but yes the multi-bit sucks balls in measurements.

Anyway, back to the topic, the E30 is actually a great value. I had the topping d50s which was 2x the cost of the e30 and they sound indistinguishable to me (unless your hearing can perceive the difference between ESS & AKM, which again is subjective)

Eetu

Forum Donor
Its true the multibit measures poorly compared to the E30 and I am very much aware of that. I'm pretty sure its not second order harmonics though (but please feel free to correct me), what I do know is the noise floor is higher in the multibit than the E30 and the chip is limited to 16-bit.

From Amir's review: 'THD/SINAD are dominated by the high second harmonic.' The APx555 test report available on Schiit's site also show the same.

I agree that the E30 is crazy good value.

Yeah, as you may have noticed this forum isn't the best place for anything with the word 'subjective' in it unless there's data to support those subjective impressions.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered this DAC a few days ago and it apparently dispatched from SHENZHEN AUDIO two days ago (Thursday 14th), are they reliable? They gave me a tracking number but there's no letters in there, it's just a string of numbers so doesn't look like a tracking number, also 4px delivery website can't find the tracking number they gave me. SHENZHEN AUDIO say to me to allow for a couple of days for the system to update, I'm not sure I believe them because the tracking number looks wrong as soon as I saw it. Is SHENZHEN AUDIO reliable or are they scamming or doing some dodgy practices like saying they've dispatched it when clearly they're instead waiting for stock instead, any thoughts or experiences? Ordered through Amazon so you'd think shouldn't be that dodgy, and also SHENZHEN AUDIO have some reasonable customer satisfaction ratings on Amazon.

LeandroFlu

I ordered this DAC a few days ago and it apparently dispatched from SHENZHEN AUDIO two days ago (Thursday 14th), are they reliable? They gave me a tracking number but there's no letters in there, it's just a string of numbers so doesn't look like a tracking number, also 4px delivery website can't find the tracking number they gave me. SHENZHEN AUDIO say to me to allow for a couple of days for the system to update, I'm not sure I believe them because the tracking number looks wrong as soon as I saw it. Is SHENZHEN AUDIO reliable or are they scamming or doing some dodgy practices like saying they've dispatched it when clearly they're instead waiting for stock instead, any thoughts or experiences? Ordered through Amazon so you'd think shouldn't be that dodgy, and also SHENZHEN AUDIO have some reasonable customer satisfaction ratings on Amazon.
You can rest assured, they are very reliable, one of the most reliable on aliexpress, soon your order arrives.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can rest assured, they are very reliable, one of the most reliable on aliexpress, soon your order arrives.
I hope so, it feels off though, but hope your're right. I'll let folks know here whichever happens.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Robbo99999
This is the order number. The tracking number will appear when the order is sent.
Yes, that's what I thought, but I've received notification from Amazon that the order is dispatched already on 2 days ago so seems strange that there is no proper tracking number yet. SHENZHEN AUDIO also said that the number they sent me was the tracking number, when I think it clearly isn't, so I'm a bit confused and not very confident that things are above board at the moment.

Eetu

Forum Donor

I've experienced no problems ordering from them via AliExpress. This covid situation may cause some delays ofc but definitely not a scam.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to hear, I'll wait it out a bit longer to see what happens.

Top Bottom