• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Alex-D

Hey Amir, thank you for this and all your reviews,
@amirm
I came up with a question. RME dac exploits digital volume control, so at full output, it shows its best performance and as volume goes down the performance degrades. the question is: is it better to use a separate preamp (like schitt freya) between RME dac and power amp to retain the best performance?

I would not bother.
Noise will not become stronger as you lower the volume, worst case it stays the same.
So if with no music or very soft music you can't hear it at max volume (or it comes from other sources like active monitor tweeters) you will not hear it when you'll reduce the volume.

jae

Major Contributor
@amirm , did you test the headphone output impedance ? I can't seem to locate it.
I think he skipped it. I did recall elsewhere on the forum that he said it is an annoying test to perform, so perhaps that's why. He did mention this briefly in his review on the first page:
I did not bother to measure the output impedance and trust the RME spec of it being near zero.
But in the review of version one of this product (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/) he measured it:
amirm said:
I think they advertise 0.1 ohm output impedance which is close enough to what I measure (which is impacted by the wires and setup I use) at 0.45 ohms. This makes it suitable to drive any impedance headphone without fear of the amplifier changing its frequency response.

Based on the good design and reputation of RME, I would expect it would perform the same or better for this v2.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone clarify- the names of the RME products confuse me. Is this the only FS version of the RME ADI-2 DAC? Or is this a newer version of an existing ADI-2 FS DAC? I believe the previous model had no FS and was the RME ADI-2 DAC?

I ask because this is what I think it is on their website https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html which doesnt mention v2

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the previous model had no FS and was the RME ADI-2 DAC?
There is no "non FS" ADI-2 DAC. Rev1 as well as Rev2 are both called "ADI-2 DAC FS". The only way to know it's the rev2 is the new remote and the presence of the new filter "SD LD".

The Rev1 is out of stock for months, so there is no reason to worry about. Once you're buying an ADI-2 DAC brand new these days, il will be a Rev2.

Rev1:

Rme-adi_2_dac_2_showroomaudio.jpg

Rev2:

ff-660x330.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no "non FS" ADI-2 DAC. Rev1 as well as Rev2 are both called "ADI-2 DAC FS". The only way to know it's the rev2 is the new remote and the presence of the new filter "SD LD".

The Rev1 is out of stock for months, so there is no reason to worry about. Once you're buying an ADI-2 DAC brand new these days, il will be a Rev2.

Rev1:

View attachment 63588

Rev2:

View attachment 63590
Thanks . That was the smaller of 2 problems. The larger being an absence of £££ in my bank account.

martijn86

So, when do manufacturers start to use newer USB to get the same performance without an additional brick?
It would be nice to see a USB-C data + 20v power delivery but I get why they don't use this. For one, USB-C is not as wide spread on existing desktops and second, many USB-C ports can't actually supply as much power as the spec. They range from 0.5W to 100W. So the chance exists that people can plug it in but it won't work. That would reflect bad on the manufacturer. Around the time that most of the systems that don't come with 3.1 gen 2 and 20V power deliver as standard are phased out, it would make sense to use it.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thing is great. I have a question. Is equalizer functions like loki or equalizer apo ?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, when do manufacturers start to use newer USB to get the same performance without an additional brick?
It would be nice to see a USB-C data + 20v power delivery but I get why they don't use this. For one, USB-C is not as wide spread on existing desktops and second, many USB-C ports can't actually supply as much power as the spec. They range from 0.5W to 100W. So the chance exists that people can plug it in but it won't work. That would reflect bad on the manufacturer. Around the time that most of the systems that don't come with 3.1 gen 2 and 20V power deliver as standard are phased out, it would make sense to use it.

I have a setup for running mine from a USB C PD power bank for transportable use.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yer-pro-lg-v20-rme-adi-2-dac.4113/#post-98828

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-power-delivery-chargers-and-powerbanks.4347/

I have a setup with it all packed in a hard case along with a tablet. I need to take some pictures and make a new thread about it.

Digital Mastering System

Yeah but what do you really need it for? If you don't need the extra voltage swing and the headphone amp section is properly implemented, there is little benefit of going balanced, you can achieve great performance in basically all metrics without it, as many amps tested here show. Headphones are "differential" by nature, their CMRR is infinite. Obviously having a shared ground connection conductor is supoptimal because it will have some impedance and thus create crosstalk, but if the headphone has ground conductors for each channel, this problem also practically doesn't exist.

I never understood the desire for balanced headphones either. Seem like headphone blend circuits are more useful. With headphones anything over 30db of channel separation is overkill IMHO. It is true balanced gives you the potential for more power with a limited supply rail, but as you said, this thing has plenty of swing.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This thing is great. I have a question. Is equalizer functions like loki or equalizer apo ?
The EQ function is less flexible than in EQ APO but you can define Q, center frequency and gain in five filters if I remember right. Shelving with different slopes is also possible.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I like best about the EQ is that you can set it for each output. For example, one for XLR, one for headphones and one for IEM. You don't have to switch manually - like with EQ APO - if you want to listen via speakers or headphones.

Tks

Major Contributor
No Thermal graph, Output impedance, and Filters, and Headphone-Out SINAD, Jitter vs Input?

;-{

Veri

Master Contributor
No Thermal graph, Output impedance, and Filters, and Headphone-Out SINAD, Jitter vs Input?

;-{
Filters have been the same with every AK4493 DAC though, no?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Rev1:

View attachment 63588

Rev2:

View attachment 63590
But there are RME ADI-2 Pro (non-FS), RME ADI-2 Pro FS and RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, correct?

Top Bottom