• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Saffy

Hi, looking for a streamer without a DAC to pair with a Topping D90.
Budget is under $500-1000, and I'm prepared to by-pass the on-board DAC if no pure streamers are available.
I need wireless connection to my network, bit perfect
I wish to stream high rez.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thank you for your Raspberry Pi 4 suggestion, though I need wireless to network, High Rez.,and few bells a and whistles.
In other words something more plug and play.
C

Davelemi

Forum Donor
Thank you for your Raspberry Pi 4 suggestion, though I need wireless to network, High Rez.,and few bells a and whistles.
In other words something more plug and play.
C
It can operate wireless and HiRes has more to do with the DAC. Check put Allo.com if you prefer a finished streamer or the Bluesound Node2i for a plug & play option.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thanks for the good input. The Bluesound is on the right track, though am seeking a streamer with hopefully 2/3 of these outputs:
  • USB-B (XMOS)2
  • IIS LVDS (HDMI)
  • MQA (for MQA Version only)

Review:

Daimiel

Hi, looking for a streamer without a DAC to pair with a Topping D90.
Budget is under $500-1000, and I'm prepared to by-pass the on-board DAC if no pure streamers are available.
I need wireless connection to my network, bit perfect
I wish to stream high rez.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Craig
Rpi4 + Volumio + good usb wifi card.

noise

I don't see why there would be anything wrong with using the RPi's stock wi-fi unless you are worried about range. Maybe you can buy Volumio (or other project) flashed to a uSD card from their website to help support them if you want to spend more money.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Thank you all.
I require a streamer with a USB-out in order to access the MQA USB-in of my Topping DA90 DAC. Also, I am not technical enough to build a streamer from scratch, like many had kindly suggested was the no-nonsense approach.
That said, I'm more a candidate for a streamer without a DAC, thats bascically Plug & Play, with MQA USB out. Ideally one with a good power supply. Hopefully within ~US$500 range..

Daverz

Major Contributor
Thank you all.
I require a streamer with a USB-out in order to access the MQA USB-in of my Topping DA90 DAC. Also, I am not technical enough to build a streamer from scratch, like many had kindly suggested was the no-nonsense approach.
That said, I'm more a candidate for a streamer without a DAC, thats bascically Plug & Play, with MQA USB out. Ideally one with a good power supply. Hopefully within ~US$500 range..

I'd still recommend the RPi4, which is "plug & play". You select your operating system (e.g. Volumio, piCorePlayer, Moode, etc.), write it to the microSD card, insert it into the Pi, and plug it in.

As long as you don't have any kind of EQ or digital volume intervening in the path, an RPi should be able to output a bit-perfect MQA stream to the DAC.

However, the consensus view of MQA here on ASR -- and I fully share in the revulsion -- is that it's hot garbage.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd still recommend the RPi4, which is "plug & play". ...
Speaking of which, the board underneath the heat sink in the Project Stream Box looks just like a Raspberry Pi compute module.

201901_project_guts2.jpg

RPi Compute.png

Webninja

Forum Donor
I was looking for streamers that could be Roon end points, and came across Orchard Audio (also on this forum). The pecan pi includes a dac, but it does get you plug and play in one box.

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi-streamer

I have been using Chromecast puck, but would eventually like to upgrade.

Top Bottom