• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Philips SHP2600.

brydon10

Currently:

Sennheiser HD 6XX
Sennheiser HD 599SE
Philips SHP9500s
Koss KSC75x

IEM: Tin T2

Most used is probably my KSC75x. I just really like the comfort (feels like I'm not wearing anything) and use them for youtube, streams, games etc.

Paperdragons

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?

Probably too many. The ones I use most from most to least are LCD2(2020 update)>=Ether cx (ZMF suede pads)> DT1990s (A pads) and my S/O daily drives my HD 650.

I have a couple project headphones lying around that I got broken and fixed or altered. These include a beyer custom studio that had a dead right channel I fixed and built custom wood inserts. My cat ironically knocked it from it's stand that was 7 feet up and now the spring steel is messed up :(. Then some fostex TR-90s and hifiman editions s that I did a lot of work on to replace the headband.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ATH m50x with the pleather brainwavs pads. I modded them to be able to replace the cable. They don't fold anymore since that small plastic stopper on the hinge broke, so they're glued in place.

I'm looking at getting the DT 1990 with a passive in-line filter from DIY-Audio-Heaven. I'm going to dig around this forum to see if I can find a better option and hopefully save some cash too.
Same for mine- two crossed over cable ties here. Horrid design

MalinYamato

1. Denon AH-D7200
  2. HifiMan Sundara
  3. Denon AH-D5200 (returned)
  4. Denon AH-D5000
  5. Sennheiser Momentum 2
  6. B&W P7
Something that I may get next: Dan Clark AFO RT, Beyer T5p.2, or Argon MKIII...

Last edited:

ShiZo

Forum Donor
M50x, hd598, hd280, k7xx, he4xx, hd6xx, dt770 250 ohm, focal elegia, focal clear.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First impressions?

One of the best closed headphones I've ever heard. Very comfortable. The isolation approaches IEM level. Those last two are the primary reasons I bought it, based on previous experience with the Aeon 1. I was planning to buy a nice pair of closed 'phones at Axpona this year but after they canceled it for this year I just went with what I was already leaning towards.

From memory (and listening notes) compared to the Aeon 1 it has a larger soundstge and the bass is shelved up a bit. The soundstage is much appreciated as that's the reason I didn't go with just another pair of IEMs. The treble may have a couple narrow resonances in it which the 1 didn't have or I may need to play around with the included damping kit some more. Even with that it does way better on my usual 'cringe' tracks than most other headphones.

Overall, Dan has a fairly consistent house sound which is more or less half way between the newer "wish-they-were-actually-'stats" HiFiMans (HiFiMen?) and the bass focused Audezes.

Dianoda

Sennheiser HD 700 - I've had these for 6+ years, most of that time I've been running them through an Audioengine D1 DAC, amped via a Massdrop O2, plus some extensive EqualizerAPO DSP to flatten out their response. I consider these my 'reference' setup and am quite happy with them overall - current sources are generally music via Tidal at hifi or master quality.

Westone W40 IEMs - my travel headphones, used with some thick Comply foam tips and an Apple USB-C headphone adapter acting as the DAC. Rather warm, their response could be flatter, but they get the job done on long flights (isolation is quite good with deep Comply tips).

Sony MDR-80's - a blast from the past, these are mid-80's vintage on-ear headphones, sound surprisingly decent, and are also quite easy to drive. Despite their compact size, the cable is almost comically long (9-10ft). They also feel rather fragile, so they rarely (if ever) see any use outside of the house.

Google Pixel USB-C headset - meh, the built-in mic is appreciated and they are fine for phone calls, but if not for that mic, I probably would have given them away by now.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
One of the best closed headphones I've ever heard. Very comfortable. The isolation approaches IEM level. Those last two are the primary reasons I bought it, based on previous experience with the Aeon 1. I was planning to buy a nice pair of closed 'phones at Axpona this year but after they canceled it for this year I just went with what I was already leaning towards.

From memory (and listening notes) compared to the Aeon 1 it has a larger soundstge and the bass is shelved up a bit. The soundstage is much appreciated as that's the reason I didn't go with just another pair of IEMs. The treble may have a couple narrow resonances in it which the 1 didn't have or I may need to play around with the included damping kit some more. Even with that it does way better on my usual 'cringe' tracks than most other headphones.

Overall, Dan has a fairly consistent house sound which is more or less half way between the newer "wish-they-were-actually-'stats" HiFiMans (HiFiMen?) and the bass focused Audezes.

I really like neutrality with tons of details, at least I'm pretty sure. Are these headphones not up my aisle then? I had a pair of lcd2 closed and I didn't really like them. Sure the bass was nice but I like tonal balance and detail the best.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like neutrality with tons of details, at least I'm pretty sure. Are these headphones not up my aisle then? I had a pair of lcd2 closed and I didn't really like them. Sure the bass was nice but I like tonal balance and detail the best.

The Aeon 2 closed is brighter than the LCD-2 closed and doesn't have any of the usual closed cup resonances that tend to obscure detail so you might like them.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
HD 559, HD 58X, Koss Porta-Pro, Koss KSC75, NAD HP50, Fidelio X1, DT770. And i've tried plenty of others.

shiroang

Currently Hifiman Ananda and AKG Q701.
Was out of the headphone gear hobby for a long time, recently just back to acquire some gears (Topping D10 and ordered A90) and that's it for the next few years.

A.West

Forum Donor
I own Senn HD800, LCD-2 fazors, Beyer DT770 80 ohm, Etymotic hf5, Ety ER4. Plus a few more that I rarely use.
In my home office I prefer the comfort and clarity of the HD800 the most, especially after EQ via my new ADI-2DAC FS. It replaced the LCD-2 which I consider a bit less comfy, heavier, hotter, and less clean sounding.

In my open office at work, sound leakage generally prevents me from using my HD800, so I mostly use the DT770 which performs surprisingly well for a closed headphone, is very comfy, and which is helped to sound more open on some recordings by using my Ifi micro idsd "3D+" setting. (Closed back headphone listeners should try this feature, IMO).

When I'm traveling the ETY hf5 are small and light and great for listening to recordings airplanes for sound isolation. And seem slightly more comfortable and have less cord noise than the more expensive ER4 that are easy to pack backups to them.
I listen mostly to classical music and prog rock.

bonesy

HD598 and HD660s.

I use the SMSL SP200 and M200. If anyone can recommend a couple of headphone options I can drool over for 6 months and save up for I'd appreciate it. Ta.

olavrb

For office and travel I have Bose QC 25 and Sennheiser Momentum M2. I mainly use the Sennheiser, Bose only when noise is a problem. Usually driven by HiFiMe 9018 USB-C, which works with both my laptops and Android phone.

Sennheiser HD 650 at home. Usually driven by iFi iCAN SE amp and HRT Music Streamer II DAC.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Focal Clear
Meze 99

I prefer the Clears.

Top Bottom