• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

spiritofjerry

The only fact that keeps pushing me towards the A90 instead of the Monoprice 887 is the preamp instead of the passthrough...

Everyone was clamoring for me to just "buy a switch bro," so I'll leave this here for you: https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-switcher/

But hey, if you need the preamp, I get it. I prefer products have plenty of functionality, including the option to select pre or line.

mt196

Everyone was clamoring for me to just "buy a switch bro," so I'll leave this here for you: https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-switcher/

But hey, if you need the preamp, I get it. I prefer products that have plenty of functionality, including the option to select pre or line.

I already have a Schiit Sys, but I would like to use as few components in my setup as possible. The A90 will replace the SYS or the OL Switcher so it seems a better choice :)

spiritofjerry

I would like to use as few components in my setup as possible.

I agree with you here! I made my comment because I use a desktop speaker amp and I made a post mentioning a line out selector (in addition to pre out) would be nice, but everyone just shrugged me off and told me to add more components to my desktop. Not my cup of tea.

mt196

I agree with you here! I made my comment because I use a desktop speaker amp and I made a post mentioning a line out selector (in addition to pre out) would be nice, but everyone just shrugged me off and told me to add more components to my desktop. Not my cup of tea.
Yeah the problem is that a single product cannot address everyone needs, because it will be too costly, or degrade performance, or something else I ignore. That is also why there are a lot of different products in the market :)

By the way I think a switcher will have like 0 impact, a switcher with a potentiometer can instead worsen the signal a bit more than a simple switcher (but I think it will be totally inaudible either way)

spiritofjerry

Yeah the problem is that a single product cannot address everyone needs, because it will be too costly, or degrade performance, or something else I ignore. That is also why there are a lot of different products in the market :)

By the way I think a switcher will have like 0 impact, a switcher with a potentiometer can instead worsen the signal a bit more than a simple switcher (but I think it will be totally inaudible either way)

Point is not to add more things to my desk. But I agree. I do use a switch at work with my ol dac / o2 stack and my little desktop speakers. Luckily, there is the THX 789 which fits my needs.

XeNoNF50

Reckon this will be good with Focal Utopia? Been following this thread closely since I came across the measurements. Will likely put an order in when it hits a third party seller on Amazon UK.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How much current A at the same 40 ohm ?

Another question, did you tried Opamp 1622 ?
Around 5W.
1622 is not price performance effective nor has the high performance I was looking for. It is a candidate for a different design but I'm afraid opa1656 is better in that design still.

Veri

Master Contributor
Around 5W.
1622 is not price performance effective nor has the high performance I was looking for. It is a candidate for a different design but I'm afraid opa1656 is better in that design still.
So no opa1656 in A90 right? :)

Top Bottom