• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo system for US$7000 or €7000

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I think a pair of big separate subs allows for cheaper bookshelf options. As long as Auddysey integrates the subs well but we don't know for sure.

And I think leaving more cash over (half the budget) for treatments is the right approach.

I run four subs with SubEQ/XT32, it works quite well, IMO one of its strengths and with the Audyssey app you can even limit it to just the lower frequencies....

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I think a pair of big separate subs allows for cheaper bookshelf options. As long as Auddysey integrates the subs well but we don't know for sure.

And I think leaving more cash over (half the budget) for treatments is the right approach.

C3's street price is around $600/pair, the big PSAs I linked, 2.3k/pr (but using top-tier parts). So with the AVR, that's 4k. Lots leftover for treatment. Where are you located? If in Europe, other brands might offer better value.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
he big PSAs I linked, 2.3k/pr (but using top-tier parts). So with the AVR, that's 4k.

I'm thinking if 4 smaller SVS-1000 subs is even better than 2 bigs.

4 subs should basically eliminate any potential bass issues. Nice even smooth bass in the entire room.

But is splitting the 2 Denon sub outputs into 4 subs a good idea? Any downsides?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Denon 4520

Nice. So you split the 2 sub outputs into 4.

I guess if the 4 subs are placed symmetrically in the room, then this method should be ok.

But if the subs are not symmetrical in the room, splitting off is not recommended?

I see this in Dirac's manual:

1589271179802.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking if 4 smaller SVS-1000 subs is even better than 2 bigs.

4 subs should basically eliminate any potential bass issues. Nice even smooth bass in the entire room.

But is splitting the 2 Denon sub outputs into 4 subs a good idea? Any downsides?

You'd ideally need a sub that has a passthrough in addition to an input. Most commonly found in pro audio subs to "daisy chain" subs. Also FYI, IIRC multisub approaches, be it Welti-Devantier or Geddes assume a mono signal input.

Also, if you are in the EU, check out Arendal Sound. Direct sale and engineering-focused, like NHT but Europe-based. Or a Nordic Nubert. They do high SPL waveguided speakers with good polars. Their subwoofers also have a following wayyyyy over here in South East Asia. People here place group buys and get their subs shipped over by sea on pallets. You can get their massive flagship towers (8" woofers) and a pair of sealed subs for 4.6k€ before shipping, including VAT.

Their flagship towers measure like these:

Graph_Polar_Response_Tower-1024x577.png

Their smaller monitors (1723 Monitor S - which has 6.5" woofers instead of 8" in the 1723 Monitor):

Graph_Polar_Response_Monitor_S-1024x577.png

Very good directivity matching.

Depending on whether you go with quad or dual subs, tower mains or standmounts, you can definitely clock in under 5k€. Leaves 1k€ for the AVR and 1k€ for some treatment.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
You'd ideally need a sub that has a passthrough in addition to an input. Most commonly found in pro audio subs to "daisy chain" subs.

Below is a REL that allows daisy chaining

1589272023785.png

So how would you setup 4 subs with a Denon receiver with 2 sub outputs?

Is it any different in practise to using Y-splitter? Any advantages with daisy chaining in this case, compared with Y-split?

1589272123665.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As, as mentioned in above post, I need it to work with movies too. Hence needs support for various HDMI sources too.

My system works fine with movies (stereo and subs) and there aren't any HDMI ports involved in the audio.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
My system works fine with movies (stereo and subs) and there aren't any HDMI ports involved in the audio.

Understood. But in my case I use an Apple TV, a Chromecast Ultra, satellite TV box, Bluray Player...

Hence needs to cater for multiple HDMI sources.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Understood. But in my case I use an Apple TV, a Chromecast Ultra, satellite TV box, Bluray Player...

The TV will likely have an optical out running at 48/24.

Works for me.

Carry on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. So you split the 2 sub outputs into 4.

I guess if the 4 subs are placed symmetrically in the room, then this method should be ok.

But if the subs are not symmetrical in the room, splitting off is not recommended?

I see this in Dirac's manual:

View attachment 63100

I've used it that way as well as a minidsp on one channel. Your best results would be from a pair of equidistant subs if using just Audyssey. Audyssey actually had the ability to do four but unfortunately no avr manufacturer enabled such. You could also do 3 symettrical, 1 odd....

How many subs can Dirac handle these days? With what Dirac-enabled units? Haven't used Dirac, but for a 2ch trial briefly....if I change again a Dirac unit could be nice.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
The TV will likely have an optical out running at 48/24.

Works for me.

Carry on.

Noted but the TV wouldn't have 5 HDMI inputs which is what I need. Maybe more to be safe.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Your best results would be from a pair of equidistant subs if using just Audyssey.

Cool. 4 SVS-SB1000's symmetrically at the front of the room is now what I'm leaning to.

I know 4 across the front is not ideal but front is the only option I have.

Even in this case, I imagine 4 is still better than 2, for even bass across the room?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Denon AVR-X3600H + Audyssey = US$1000

Revel M16 pair = US$900

4 x SVS SB-1000 subwoofers = US$2000

Total retail = US$3900

With 4 subs, it probably means no need for big ugly bass traps also.

Leaves some money for a centre channel I guess for TV/movies.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Below is a REL that allows daisy chaining

View attachment 63103

So how would you setup 4 subs with a Denon receiver with 2 sub outputs?

Is it any different in practise to using Y-splitter? Any advantages with daisy chaining in this case, compared with Y-split?

View attachment 63104

Mostly for easier routing, and AFAIK might present an easier load to the AVR sub output if the sub has an active line output of its own. Dirac doesn't recommend Y-splitting because it can't recognise when 2 subs are Y-split to a single output jack (ie. "logical channel") outside of the circuitry. This would possibly screw up correction as 2 distinct subs are treated as if they were one by the algorithm.

Willem

Major Contributor
I really do not understand the hdmi thing. I use my plasma screen in a stereo system with subwoofer. Set top box goes directly into the TV using the hdmi connection. The tv's optical output is used for the audio, just as the Bluray player's optical output. I could have used the optical output of the TV for this but in that case I have to turn on the TV to listen to CD's. In addition I have a Chromecast Audio, also with optical output. All three optical signals go into an automatic optical switch that then goes into my RME ADI-2 DAC. It works a treat. If you want dsp room eq, I would get the MiniDSP SHD with its Dirac. Add a beefy pro audio power amp or a Hypex based one for better measurements and you are done with a lot of budget left for speakers. I would indeed opt for four small subs like the SVS SB1000. My main speaker preference would be for the Harbeth M30.2, but there are people here who have reservations about those. Whether they are worth the money also depends in the country you are in and on local pricing.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I really do not understand the hdmi thing.

It's very simple actually.

As mentioned above, I use an Apple TV, a Chromecast 4K Ultra, satellite TV box, Bluray Player... a couple missing that I can't remember.

Hence needs to cater for multiple HDMI sources.

I don't know of any TV that features so many HDMI inputs...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom