• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good dac vs Subpar dac with crossover

Pants

Hi all!
Long time ghost on this forum.

I just bought a new power amp,(XTZ A2-300) as part of my transition from surround to stereo as primary sound system. My next, and hopefully final step, is to purchase a dac/dsp?/volume-control.

My system is as follows:
Streamer: DIY pi based atm, but transitioning to Nvidia shield
Amp: XTZ A2-300
Speakers: Scansonic MB-1
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1200R

I'm currently looking at the following 3 possible solutions:
1. Buying a Topping E30 feeding the full range signal to both amp and sub. Possibly adding a room correction unit later on.
2. Buying a Topping E30 feeding the full range signal to the velodyne, using the high pass output to feed the power amp. I have no idea what quality the high pass output is of though. Possibly adding a room correction unit later on.
3. Buying a Behringer UltraDrive DCX2496 using the built in crossover to split the signal between the speaker and subwoofer. Not sure about dac quality of this unit.

My ideal endstate would be something similar to a Minidsp SHD (room correction, dsp crossover and time sync), but that's a little out of my budget at the moment, so I have to prioritize. I'm aware of the 2x4hd, but I'm a bit worried about the reports of static noise from the unit as well as sub-par dac. It also doesn't allow for me to swap to a different dac or room correction unit later without adding both.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Maybe (probably ) I'm overthinking this,but right now it sort of seems like an impossible choise.

Cheers

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a 2 x 4 HD and never notice the noise. Nevertheless I am exploring tapping into the I2S header to give the thing a digital (spidf) out. Right now I am in contact with a technician who's going to give me a pricing estimate for doing the job. It won't be cheap, but the mod plus the price of a 2 x 4 HD will be below an SHD. From there you can add any number of great inexpensive DACS from Amir's list costing $100-200. I have a thread in DIY where I lay this out.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...to-add-2-spidf-digital-outputs-to-unit.11326/

OP
P

Pants

I own a 2 x 4 HD and never notice the noise. Nevertheless I am exploring tapping into the I2S header to give the thing a digital (spidf) out. Right now I am in contact with a technician who's going to give me a pricing estimate for doing the job. It won't be cheap, but the mod plus the price of a 2 x 4 HD will be below an SHD. From there you can add any number of great inexpensive DACS from Amir's list costing $100-200. I have a thread in DIY where I lay this out.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...to-add-2-spidf-digital-outputs-to-unit.11326/

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I've considered a similar project myself, but just as you I lack the know how on soldering soldering onto chips. I do however have electrical engineers in the family that might help out there. Please do update your post as I'll be following your progress closely

Top Bottom