• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks I have updated and now it works much better. however the display still shows sw 1.4 strange.
Over all I am happy with the DAC. Had a twice to restart the DAC when getting noise in one channel lets hope this issue doesn't reoccur after the upgrade.

Thanks again
The driver software (1.08) exists on your PC. The devices internal firmware is what is shown on the M500 display. That will stay at 1.4 unless they release and you apply that update. I would suggest leaving that alone.

ArturoKiwi

I have a big problem, yesterday abruptly the remote control stop working o_O
I changed the battery and try to factory reset the M500, nothing append :(

There is something else I could try?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! :D
Success? And no, I have no idea why there is A, B and C. I have the SU8 too and that is C too. Maybe A and B are for amps and something else.

ArturoKiwi

Success? And no, I have no idea why there is A, B and C. I have the SU8 too and that is C too. Maybe A and B are for amps and something else.
Yes, it is a success.
Then I go to check the manual to understand the why and I find this note, that I totally forgot:
1. This remote controller use 2 x R03/AAA battaries.
2. When you first operate M500, press the C key first.

So if you change the battery, and I controlled it yesterday, you must pres "C" button to pair the remote with the smsl :facepalm:

lastexile

I've done all the official updates to 1.08 and still cannot get anything higher than 24bit on windows 10 pro? Any suggestions?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done all the official updates to 1.08 and still cannot get anything higher than 24bit on windows 10 pro? Any suggestions?
And you're playing 32 bit files? Have you gone into the device properties on window sound settings and upped the max to 32 bit etc etc? What player software you using?

Toku

Major Contributor
It is necessary to select "2ch 32bit" in the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel. I think "2ch 24bit" is currently selected.

Open XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel
Click "Format" Tab and select "2channels, 32bit" for Output.

Attachments

• XMOS USB.png
    XMOS USB.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 302
  • XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel.png
    XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Hello M500 owners!

I have 2 questions:
1 - is it possible to get sound from XLR and headphones in the same time?
2 - Also, can I use XLR and RCA without sound degradation?

Anyway I am playing with the M500 since few hours and it is a nice product, main point for me is "soundstage".

I am going to test connectivity with different Linux things, Do not use it with other system.

Very very happy, nice product, screen is readable (not like the SU8) and button has a nice feeling (better than Sabaj D5).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello M500 owners!

I have 2 questions:
1 - is it possible to get sound from XLR and headphones in the same time?
2 - Also, can I use XLR and RCA without sound degradation?

Anyway I am playing with the M500 since few hours and it is a nice product, main point for me is "soundstage".

I am going to test connectivity with different Linux things, Do not use it with other system.

Very very happy, nice product, screen is readable (not like the SU8) and button has a nice feeling (better than Sabaj D5).
1. No
2. Yes and don't see any reports of crosstalk. I hear none

EDIT : IIRC Z reviews noticed his unit bled minor signal into the rear outputs to his powered monitors when on headphones. Dont think anyone has reported issues between rca and xlr simultaneously. I use it thst way

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
So for the M500 in my desk I read:
- SW 1.6
- HW 1.3
- 2020-3-2

How do you update to USB firmware 1.8? I do not understand wich file to download and what is the process?

Thanks in advance!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Ok guys I've just created a page on my website to explain how to update the firmware. The page also offers the download of the driver.
It is here.

I tested before the update with some Linux things. It is ok with Daphile but sound was very week with the Logitech Touch. After the flash, it sounds ok.

1587318536150.png

Attachments

• 1587318847180.png
    1587318847180.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

SwampyDude

Hello new to all this received my smsl m500 yesterday followed intructions to the letter and can not update firmware or get 32 bit mode in windows using audirvana for playback and noise on dsd any help appreciated sw 1.5 hw 1.2

Jeriko

Hi all,

I’ve got one question about the displayed MQA Information on the M500:
Is the displayed information (kHz) about the incoming signal bevor the M500 does the “unfolding”?
It’s a bit confusing because I get the following results:

Tidal -> Played song has “Master” Label
Settings: Exclusive Mode and Passtrough MQA)
Result: While Playing the M500 display shows MQA with a Blue Dot and 44.1kHz

Playing the Same Tidal Song over Roon
Settings: M500 is set to MQA “Decoder and Renderer” (Runs as decoder)
Result: M500 display shows also MQA with a Blue Dot and 44.1kHz
Roon shows:
decoder.png

When the M500 is set to “Renderer”:
(If I understand it correct, in this case the roon software does the first “unfolding” because of the rendering settings, the software thinks the M500 couldn't do that)
Result: Display shows MQA with a Magenta dot and 44.1kHz .
Roon shows that it has done a software side unfolding to 88kHz:

renderer.png

In my understanding the (hardware) “decoder” is the highest possible mqa option.
So shouldn’t the display show the same or even higher “unfolded” kHz than the the “render mode?

Toku

Major Contributor
So for the M500 in my desk I read:
- SW 1.6
- HW 1.3
- 2020-3-2

How do you update to USB firmware 1.8? I do not understand wich file to download and what is the process?

Thanks in advance!
Your M500 is the latest version.
But if the XMOS USB DAC Driver is Ver 1.08, please update to Ver 2.01. I attached the confirmation method of Ver and the update file of Ver2.01.

Attachments

• XMOS Panel.png
    XMOS Panel.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 264
  • XMOS Ver.png
    XMOS Ver.png
    6 KB · Views: 328
  • M500 2.01 USB firmware.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 718

Albocan

But if the XMOS USB DAC Driver is Ver 1.08, please update to Ver 2.01. I attached the confirmation method of Ver and the update file of Ver2.01.

What is the origin of that firmware? I downloaded and installed it and it rolled back to version 1.05 and now I can no longer update.

Top Bottom