• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

BolusOfDoom

This is where I bought it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JZ8JYRK
It doesn't come with an allen key so you need one of the right size to fit it.

I've tried a bunch of knobs for my Atom and that was the only one that worked well. I even tried a military surplus transilluminated aviation knob, but the LEDs are too weak to shine through it brightly, even with no diffuser.

I did get some translucent amber tape from an auto parts store for busted turn signal lamps. I cut and applied it to the back of the white plastic diffuser to color match my D10.

atom.jpeg

CerealKiller

Wow, I have exactly the same setup. Atom + DX3 Pro, only 1 Atom though. :p
Im not too fond on the form factor, (besides my DX3pro belongs in the TV setup) would really like to change it with the new E30 thats a little more boxy shaped

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it pair with the AKG 712 pro? Enough power?
I'm running the audio technica r70 nicely and they are 400 ohms. Should be fine. But I'll try my k701 on it in the morning

magicscreen

I did get some translucent amber tape from an auto parts store for busted turn signal lamps. I cut and applied it to the back of the white plastic diffuser to color match my D10.
Did you have to disassemble the Atom for that?
Is it has a warmer sound now?

BolusOfDoom

Did you have to disassemble the Atom for that
I took the top off mine to apply the tape behind the diffuser. I first tried taking off the knob and applying the tape from the front, but it didn’t look as good because it was harder to apply the tape evenly and tuck it inside the case.
Is it has a warmer sound now?
Warm as the Devil’s armpit.

CerealKiller

D50(s) is what you want for best stackability with Atom. It also pins the Atom down weighing in at 0.5kg.
yeah.... but $200 is kinda overbudget for me, besides the orange segment led display is waaaay cooler. D10 was my first option, got it, and sadly it does not perform. It's unusable due to horrendus groud loop (or USB bus noise, yet to be determined). So DX3 was on hand.

pevzi

So much has already been said about Atom's volume pot imbalance, and I expected it to be a long solved problem. But unfortunately the unit I received around the New Year still suffers from this issue.

From what I can hear, the imbalance is kept within the given specs, that is, it doesn't seem to exceed 0.6 dB. But I honestly didn't expect it to be this noticeable. I must admit, it doesn't bother me much while I'm listening to music (in fact, it took me about a month to discover it), but it's quite obvious with mono audio like speech in YouTube videos. The balance is off to the left throughout the lower half of the pot, up until around 12 o'clock; after that it gets negligible. I added a -0.4 dB gain to the left channel in Equalizer APO with the intention of finding some middle ground where it's not noticeable either way, but it's still not quite perfect.

I'm somewhat disappointed with this situation, since in every other regard Atom is pretty much flawless. I don't even mind the plastic case; if anything, I'd say it looks pretty sleek. But the channel imbalance is like the single audible thing that Atom failed to get right. This seems ironic, given that we all pick it for perfect performance across the board, even though most of its measurements are far below any audibility thresholds (which is still an impressive feat, nonetheless).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Each volume pot is different.
The problem is the size of the resistance track (its a small potmeter) mechanical tolerances and volpot position.
The only way to make the problem smaller is by selecting potmeters and binning those that perform poorly.
This is manual labour and increases costs/lowers profit or increases the selling price.

It is what it is. Use it on lowest gain setting. Switch to higher gains when you reach the max setting yet still want louder.
An option is to use digital attenuation to get out of the lower volume adjsutment range.
Above 9'o clock channel imbalance should not be an issue.

ishmeister

So much has already been said about Atom's volume pot imbalance, and I expected it to be a long solved problem. But unfortunately the unit I received around the New Year still suffers from this issue.

From what I can hear, the imbalance is kept within the given specs, that is, it doesn't seem to exceed 0.6 dB. But I honestly didn't expect it to be this noticeable. I must admit, it doesn't bother me much while I'm listening to music (in fact, it took me about a month to discover it), but it's quite obvious with mono audio like speech in YouTube videos. The balance is off to the left throughout the lower half of the pot, up until around 12 o'clock; after that it gets negligible. I added a -0.4 dB gain to the left channel in Equalizer APO with the intention of finding some middle ground where it's not noticeable either way, but it's still not quite perfect.

I'm somewhat disappointed with this situation, since in every other regard Atom is pretty much flawless. I don't even mind the plastic case; if anything, I'd say it looks pretty sleek. But the channel imbalance is like the single audible thing that Atom failed to get right. This seems ironic, given that we all pick it for perfect performance across the board, even though most of its measurements are far below any audibility thresholds (which is still an impressive feat, nonetheless).
My imbalance becomes unnoticeable at around 10 o'clock. Tested with an ER4XR (matched to within 1 dB). If you have sensitive headphones maybe try turning up the amp and lower the DAC volume control.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone who owns the JDS Atom, is there an On/Off switch. From the pictures it looks like it may be always on, but I'd like to confirm.

Top Bottom