• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker switch (DIY?)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody know of a good speaker selector switch? Just A or B (don't need A&B or protection).

Maybe DIY is the way to go? Is something like this as good as, say, the Bryston speaker switch?
1587135907351.png

dunkuk

You could look at using relays if you want good quality contacts, they tend to be gold. Saying that I would think most toggle witches would not make any noticable differences to the sound. I would go for toggle swicthes / relays myself as the rotary switches seem quite a bit more flimsy in my experience.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+ LED indicators.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I would go for toggle swicthes / relays myself as the rotary switches seem quite a bit more flimsy in my experience.
The pictured rotary looks like industrial switchgear to me - far from flimsy. They're not designed for audio, but neither are the relays and toggles.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. I think I like the idea of using relays too. But really I don't want to spend time on a DIY box. I would rather buy one, but I don't see anything that looks all that good.

Twelvetone

I have a Niles HDL-4 switcher that's just taking up space, but it's Z-compensated. PM me if interested.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Niles HDL-4 switcher that's just taking up space, but it's Z-compensated. PM me if interested.
Thanks for the kind offer. Hi I have the Niles one too, at my shop. For home I think I want something else, if I decide to do this at all. The Luxman AS-50R maybe? Seems overpriced but closest I see to what I want. Can't find much info on this though. Has anyone used the AS-50R?

gfx_1

The pictured rotary looks like industrial switchgear to me - far from flimsy. They're not designed for audio, but neither are the relays and toggles.
Yes they are industrial, some brands are configurable for more switching contacts, special functions (on/off/auto/start) they tend to work for years.

A800

Nice but soldering would allow for a lower contact resistance I think.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice but soldering would allow for a lower contact resistance I think.

Not with my soldering ability and dodgy eyesight :)

Actually, I bought the wrong size crimp connectors and I had to drill them out a little to fit the binding posts, so it took a little bit longer to build than I had anticipated.

Zek

Major Contributor
What kind of switch is that, with how many contacts?
Is the minus contact also switchable?

tomelex

Forum Donor
What kind of switch is that, with how many contacts?
Is the minus contact also switchable?

it sure looks like your switch in post 6 to me

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zek

Major Contributor
Thanks.:cool:

Last edited:
OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry that I haven't checked in on this...
I was wanting to buy the Luxman AS-50R box rather than DIY but apparently it is not available in the USA. I'm sure it is possible to get it but I decided this is as much hassle as going with DIY.

I started looking at relays. The problem was I really wanted to run off of a 12V trigger so that I don't need another power supply. I wasn't able to find something that looked like it would be a fit where current draw was not borderline for running two of the relays from a 12V trigger.

So now I have pretty much decided to go with two toggle switches as suggested earlier in this thread. I want two of SPDT on-off-on type. I'm a little unsure what contact material is best, gold or silver alloy. I probably won't be switching this very often. What else should I be looking for? Is this one suitable?
https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen...8500&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, now I am off on another direction. I am looking at this one - featurewise it really is exactly what I want:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyndahl-Selector-Amplifier-Speakers-Suitable/dp/B005BQ5N82
But currently unavailable from Amazon so now I am off on another hunt for a hard to get device.

It says that the switch contacts are Kellog type. I did not know what that was. My google search turned this up:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-MI...elaiskontakte-nicht-rastend-NOS-/123766905296
1590289257809.png

It looks like the idea is a lot of contact surface area? Don't know how goog the Lyndahl box is but a finished product is appealing!

Top Bottom