• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jokerbre

Anyone interested in the measurements of affordable Focal monitors, Shape 40 and Shape 50?
I think they are a very good basis for a great system.
Amplifiers are AB Class, DSP-free Active Crossover.
Hi Pass Filter 45/60/90hz 12db/oct.
I have measurements of Shape 65 and they are very good.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me.

OP
J

Jokerbre

I hope Amirm will be able to measure this speaker.

A800

Me too.

OP
J

Jokerbre

Focal Shape 65.

Attachments

• Focal1.png
    Focal1.png
    641.4 KB · Views: 3,839
  • Focal2.png
    Focal2.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,269

A800

Impressive.

A800

Directivity behaviour isn't really great, even more for its price class, although it might be smoother on the smaller models due to the smaller midwoofer.

It's a nearfield monitor if I remember correctly.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a nearfield monitor if I remember correctly.
Surely it is, where directivity may not be just as important as for classic hifi loudspeakers, but even in nearfield listening reflections play a not ignorable role in the perceived sound and nowadays it doesn't really anything (except R&D) to make smooth directivity loudspeakers in any usage and price class, see for example the also nearfield cheap JBL LSR series.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Directivity behaviour isn't really great, even more for its price class, although it might be smoother on the smaller models due to the smaller midwoofer.

True, but as they were specifically designed and marketed for nearfield monitoring it is understandable they have concentrated on on-axis linearity.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but as they were specifically designed and marketed for nearfield monitoring it is understandable they have concentrated on on-axis linearity.
Well, nowadays you can have both at the same time with no drawbacks, so why neglecting one? As said the percentage of reflected sound under nearfield listening is smaller, but not zero.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Well, nowadays you can have both at the same time with no drawbacks, so why neglecting one? As said the percentage of reflected sound under nearfield listening is smaller, but not zero.

Absolutely, why not have it all when possible.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Anyone interested in the measurements of affordable Focal monitors, Shape 40 and Shape 50?
I think they are a very good basis for a great system.
Amplifiers are AB Class, DSP-free Active Crossover.
Hi Pass Filter 45/60/90hz 12db/oct.
I have measurements of Shape 65 and they are very good.
I am interested in the Shape 50, thanks for asking.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally think Focal's reticence to use DSP is silly... And then they kind of market it as a feature because of purity or whatever. PSI audio does the same. Though both achieve good results, if not as linear as the Genelec's and Neumann's of the world. But they have totally different directivity characteristics.

That said, I'd guess the Focals are bit more tonally balanced than the yamahas because the directivity widens right as the frequency response is shelved down a bit, and Imo the low-Q variations on the Yamaha are more likely to be audible. Plus the Focal is a bit wider and the wide directivity extends out to 10k rather than 7k, which in my experience does lead to a better soundstage.

I also suspect some of the on-axis uneven-ness is caused by the inverted dome tweeter's diffraction which changes and balances out with just tiny movements.

@thewas_ do you know if Prof goertz does any kind of average for his on-axis measurements?

All that being said the Yamaha is certainly the better value.

Last edited:

AudioStudies

I have the Shape 50s and just love them. Use them for a home audio 2nd system in a small den. I use a powered sub-woofer also and am very pleased with the results. Yes, I would like to see Amir review the Shape 50s. The speakers are on metal stands out into the room, so they are not very far from the couch, and hence the fact that they are near-field monitor is not a drawback for me. I am fine with no DSP, because then I know all the digital to analog conversion is accomplished from my DAC, or if I play an analog source, I know it isn't being converted to digital.

YSC

Major Contributor
I have the Shape 50s and just love them. Use them for a home audio 2nd system in a small den. I use a powered sub-woofer also and am very pleased with the results. Yes, I would like to see Amir review the Shape 50s. The speakers are on metal stands out into the room, so they are not very far from the couch, and hence the fact that they are near-field monitor is not a drawback for me. I am fine with no DSP, because then I know all the digital to analog conversion is accomplished from my DAC, or if I play an analog source, I know it isn't being converted to digital.

It sounds nice, but I previously read about the shapes did have heat issues and become really too hot to touch after use in hot weather areas, and that the standby function and amp don't last that long, any comment on this? I am really interested in the shape but since in Hong Kong it's constantly over 30-35 degrees Celsius and at that price point I hope it can last for longer than 5 years at least

Top Bottom