• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Evidence M5P

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently came across a column by mastering engineer and audio writer Bob Katz, where he raves about his new mastering speakers - Evidence M5P from Dynaudio: http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...12-throwing-down-gauntlet#yHHWci7OExrpBcjC.97

These are supposed to cost around 100000 USD I think, so probably not within the financial reach for too many of us. But I'd be curious as to what you people make of them. Statement speakers such as these are always interesting. These are from Dynaudio's pro division, so I assume that the design actually serves a purpose. Also, Bob Katz is no fool.

But I'm left scratching my head a bit by the design choices here. It's passive, using shallow 6 dB crossovers. And not even close to being a point source. I guess they had their reasons for doing it like this - but couldn't they accomplish the same thing and more by using DSP based crossovers? Are there valid reasons for this design choice, or is it done to please a certain group of potential buyers?

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I guess if you want to passively emulate the tricks that people are doing with DSP, you end up with this sort of thing. The shallow crossovers allow them to approach the phase neutrality that DSP allows, and the tall, phased array configuration controls the vertical dispersion in order to reduce the total amount of spurious bass radiating into the room.

As always, I am very happy that other people choose to spend 100,000 USD on a pair of speakers - it makes me feel good about myself and my choices in life.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always, I am very happy that other people choose to spend 100,000 USD on a pair of speakers - it makes me feel good about myself and my choices in life.

Hehe - one could mistake you for a Norwegian! There's nothing us frugal Norwegians like more than having the feeling that we didn't spend too much money and still got very good quality :)

How does this vertical thing work with regards to dispersion, btw? I saw that Katz wrote about it, but struggle to understand it.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
How does this vertical thing work with regards to dispersion, btw? I saw that Katz wrote about it, but struggle to understand it.
I'm assuming that, effectively, the overall speaker 'beams' vertically in the way that a six-foot wide driver would. Off-axis, there is such a difference in path lengths between the sound emitted by the upper and lower drivers, that their phases are shifted enough to cancel each other out, even down into the bass. The dispersion horizontally is still wide, however.

fas42

Major Contributor
Best sound I have ever heard from a standard system setup was using the C4 Confidence model, slightly less capable just going by the specs, and now obsolete - but the same design concepts. PA sound intensity, with complete competence - easily replicated the transient power and impact of a live drum kit.

Implies the M5P driven properly should do an excellent job ...

Top Bottom