• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

diablo900t

I've got a Crown XLS1002 that I'm using for my mains right now; I know the XLS1502 has been reviewed, but I'm wondering if the A800 is a significant improvement over the XLS1002.

I'm also looking at adding a 5 channel amp for the rest of my floor speakers, either the Outlaw 5000, or the OSD A5500/XA5180 and letting the AVR (Yamaha A3070) handle the heights.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got a Crown XLS1002 that I'm using for my mains right now; I know the XLS1502 has been reviewed, but I'm wondering if the A800 is a significant improvement over the XLS1002.

I'm also looking at adding a 5 channel amp for the rest of my floor speakers, either the Outlaw 5000, or the OSD A5500/XA5180 and letting the AVR (Yamaha A3070) handle the heights.

I would say NO becuase it has built in dsp so you can use a high pass filter if you have small speakers, to make them sound better, cut them at 40hz or even 50hz and make them sound cleaner, louder (if you have the power) because it doesn't have to play bass under 40-50hz.

Generally i think a similar price crown xls has a better sound than a Behringer A-800, i just don't know how big the difference is

Last edited:

diablo900t

I would say NO becuase it has built in dsp so you can use a high pass filter if you have small speakers, to make them sound better, cut them at 40hz or even 50hz and make them sound cleaner, louder 8if you have the power) because it doesn't have to play bass under 40-50hz.

Generally i think a similar price crown xls has a better sound than a Behringer A-800, i just don't know how big the difference is

Thanks for the reply! Is the DSP a big deal if the AVR is already setting the crossover? I think the only "concerning" thing I've read about the Crowns is the DAC conversion with the hard cut around 20khz, and the fact that the rated SNR of the 1002 is 97dB. There is some noise and hiss that I hear, but only if I'm really close to the speaker.

Not sure if any of that translates into "better" or "worse" sound. I'm mostly looking for a way to maximize sound quality for my mains. I'm also contemplating running a 5 channel amp (like the Outlaw or OSD) in 3 channel mode for LCR, having the Crown handle my surround back (they are JBL 530s with 85dB sensitivyt) and then having the AVR handle the 4 height and 2 side surrounds.

gasolin75

Yes, imagine you have bass problems from a subwoofer or from a turntable, dsp 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley crossover gives you more options to cut the bass, to make additional adjustemst to what your av receiver can do, like do it extreme and cut it -36db (if possible) at 20hz and raise the bass 6-12 db from 20-80hz.

You have to be a bass head or have serious bass problems to appriceate it, additional dsp features i don't know what the crowm amp has, can do.

ThsM

I was just about to buy a A800 but read a comment on Thomann.de that the Amp give a "Pop" to the speakers, when turned on. Do you also hear this on your A800's?

Duckeenie

I was just about to buy a A800 but read a comment on Thomann.de that the Amp give a "Pop" to the speakers, when turned on. Do you also hear this on your A800's?

I noticed the surge protection kicks in momentarily on my A800 when I turn it on so I guess that suppresses any sonic nasties. I get nothing more than a low level click through the speakers.

Thorskin

Could this be used with a Schiit Sys as a passive preamp or directly into a DAC with volume control for a cheap stereo setup?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Could this be used with a Schiit Sys as a passive preamp or directly into a DAC with volume control for a cheap stereo setup?

It has volume knobs. You can go cheaper on the source chain.

ThsM

I noticed the surge protection kicks in momentarily on my A800 when I turn it on so I guess that suppresses any sonic nasties. I get nothing more than a low level click through the speakers.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I too have a turn on "click", but it is not loud.
The "click" is quiet and high frequency. It doesn't bother me.
The important thing is the amp is quiet while on.
I am bi-amping a pair of Montana SPX with 2 Behringer A800.

Last edited:

Thorskin

I am really liking the idea of getting a Class D like this....
Would this be a good replacement for my 150w pc NAD c372 amplifier Class A?
This would be for a pair of B&W 602s2 8ohm speakers which need 25 - 120W according to the spec sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
This would be for a pair of B&W 602s2 8ohm speakers which need 25 - 120W according to the spec sheet.

Yes, it would be a good amp in your situation. However, why replace the NAD? Is it having issues? If not, I'd keep the NAD until you need to replace it.

Thorskin

Yes, it would be a good amp in your situation. However, why replace the NAD? Is it having issues? If not, I'd keep the NAD until you need to replace it.
tbh its just too damn hot in my cabinet.
I would really like to have something I can keep on all day and with my current cabinet (not changing anytime soon) its just too hot.

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
tbh its just too damn hot in my cabinet.
I would really like to have something I can keep on all day and with my current cabinet (not changing anytime soon) its just too hot.

OK, well then, yes, that makes sense. If you want a lil' more power, I'd also recommend the Crown XLS-1502. While the Crown does have fans, it's dead quiet and very cool running too. Sonically, my ears could not tell the difference between the Behringer A500, A800 and Crown XLS-1502.

Thorskin

OK, well then, yes, that makes sense. If you want a lil' more power, I'd also recommend the Crown XLS-1502. While the Crown does have fans, it's dead quiet and very cool running too. Sonically, my ears could not tell the difference between the Behringer A500, A800 and Crown XLS-1502.
Actually the XLS-1502 is almost twice the price of the a800 in the UK so I dont think its worth it.
The a800 is quite cheap here at £160 which really is a bargain at that price
Would buying 2 be OTT for the speakers I am using or is 1 enough?

wje

Forum Donor
Try a single one first. If you feel you'd like more power, then get a 2nd one and use them each in bridged mode.

A800

They are amazing, especially for the price.
I will buy the fourth soon...

geoemm

I was thinking about buying these to pair it with Klipsch PR600, but now i see that Sony STR-DH190 is cheaper in Germany, lower power, but better SINAD plus also have preamp and Bluetooth. Does the higher power help that much? I also like the versatility of Behringer to probably converting it into a subwoofer amp if I upgrade.

A800

I don't think the Sony has anywhere the control and precision the Behringer has.
Headroom is always a good thing.

DSJR

Major Contributor

After years of use, the 602mk2 tweeters may have mellowed as the mk1 versions did, but I remember the tweeter being rather 'hot' in quality. A smoother 'NAD-esque' power amp may subjectively suit better I reckon.

Top Bottom