• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board"

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I am thinking of buying 2 Soncoz LA-QXD1 DACs to use in an active speaker crossover system. Ideally I would site them where they cannot be seen – so I would not have access to the front panel - and also switch them on and off remotely (using a controller to switch the mains input to the power supplies).

Two questions …
  1. When the unit is switched off does it remember the input and volume levels e.g. if I have it set so that input to COAX will the that be the input when it is switched on?
  2. If the power supply to the unit is switched off (rather than using the PWR button) will it switch on when the power supply is switched back on?

I don't think you can do that. The DAC chips run asynchronous, so you can't sync them separately.

You might be better off trying on a DAC with 4 or more channel outputs. There is an ongoing project by one of the forum members trying that with the Okto DAC, which has 8 channel outputs.

ceausuc

Very interested in the LA-QXD1

Debating between this and the D50s

I don't think it is a difficult decision...
If you need remote/Bluetooth go for D50, otherwise -> LA-QXD1.

I still don't understand why LA-QXD1 doesn't come with a remote (at least as option).
The dacs from the competition (Topping/SMSL) in this price range do have it.
And let's face it... who wants a dac in the 200 price range will not spend 500 for the bigger brother with remote/bluetooth; who has the cash and wants the best Soncoz has to offer will anyway choose the big dac. --- my opinion of course.

Tup3x

I don't think that the lack of remote is a big deal. To me there's a much bigger problem: doesn't remember volume. Especially without display that would drive me nuts eventually, trying to get the previous volume setting back.

shellback

Audio Company
, The need to choose better chips is a challenge that is expected next year.
Thank you for the quick response. Any chance you'll be developing an amp to pair with the DAC as well?

I've emailed Ann and will be purchasing one as well.

sinski

Will be considered next generation.

Maybe two versions could be possible. LA-QXD1 and LA-QXD1-R with remote ?
A version without remote is great for people who just want the best possible sound quality. RC means some additional circuits. Sometimes less is more.
Now i am using KTB and i have two possibilities te set he volume - digital in picoreplayer, but i am not using it, because sending 100% signal deliver better sq, and my preamp has a rc, so it is enough for me.

Stephen

I don't think it is a difficult decision...
If you need remote/Bluetooth go for D50, otherwise -> LA-QXD1.

I still don't understand why LA-QXD1 doesn't come with a remote (at least as option).
The dacs from the competition (Topping/SMSL) in this price range do have it.
And let's face it... who wants a dac in the 200 price range will not spend 500 for the bigger brother with remote/bluetooth; who has the cash and wants the best Soncoz has to offer will anyway choose the big dac. --- my opinion of course.

Well, we have so many remotes for everything: amplifiers, streamers... I don't need another one, and with a power consomption of 3.5w, I can leave it 'on' all the time. For me it's the most efficent. If you need Bluetooth, there is external good and inexpensive HD capable devices, with digital output that you can replace when the new 5.2 Bluetooth arrives.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't think you can do that. The DAC chips run asynchronous, so you can't sync them separately.

You might be better off trying on a DAC with 4 or more channel outputs. There is an ongoing project by one of the forum members trying that with the Okto DAC, which has 8 channel outputs.
That's not a problem if they're both being fed from identically clocked spdif/toslink/aes sources such as 2 outputs of a nanodigi. Given the question about the COAX source sticking over a power cycle I suspect this is the case.

starless

As a particularly meaningful feature of SGD1, I've had the same experience in the past, so SGD1 is perfectly suited to our needs.
View attachment 60168

Yes,it will switch on.

@Ben1987

Your reply showed what happens with the SGD1. Does the QXD1 remember input setting when switched on? In particular, if I have SPDIF Coax selected as input, switch off (using a remote controlled mains plug) will it go back to SPDIF Coax when switched back on?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Maybe two versions could be possible. LA-QXD1 and LA-QXD1-R with remote ?
A version without remote is great for people who just want the best possible sound quality. RC means some additional circuits. Sometimes less is more.
If there's a spare I/O pin on the xmos the extra circuitry is probably just a 3-pin IR receiver costing pennies. There's no need for a different model - just sell the remote controller as a separate item. Bonus points for publishing the remote control codes and enabling control via the usb interface.

Top Bottom