• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Neddy
Sorry for the late reply.
I don't have another Vanity board. I actually feel fortunate as about a year ago I considered selling it. Happy that I didn't follow through!
I actually haven't employed it for two years or so. I tested it to make it sure it was still good before I ordered last month.
I used it initially to support 3 Gustard DACs for a 5.1 configuration (NUC>>Oppo>>Gustards). Worked just fine, I was happy.
But then I discovered I2S and changed my entire front end to a PinkFaun streamer with an I2S MCH bridge. Love it. PinkFaun>>2 Matrix Sabre Pros and a Topping DX7Pro.
I have ordered the Okto8 to replace my Emotiva XMC-1 in HT duties. Still undecided if I will use the AES/USB option or stick a miniDSP DDRC-88D in the middle. I will begin with option 1 and run my EQ/DSP through the streamer/JRiver. If needed, I can add the miniDSP.
If I really like it, I can also use it for Computer audio duties and eliminate the I2S and above 3 DACs. Or not.
Here is an Audiopraise email, which I think is still active. His name is also Pavel and he's a good dude. He is working on an I2S device and I have signed up to be a Beta Tester for him. [email protected]
Stay healthy and play it loud!

Thanks very much!
You have a much more complex setup than mine - is the dual Matrix Sabre system also 5.1 ch?
I was looking at the Sabre's closely, but were way out of my price range.
I'd been following the Okto I2S DIY projects, but wasn't in the mood for more DIY, so the timing of the DAC Pro release was great for me.
Timing seems critical on Vanity board availability ;) I missed them going out of production by just 1 year, and missed the few that have come up for sale since by about the same.
Thanks for the contact info, I'll drop Pavel a line - worth a try anyway, as those things are rare as hen's teeth.

I'll be interested in your impressions of the XMC1 to Okto upgrade for sure. (I remain GobSmacked with how good it sounds.)
I'm using a PC/NUC/JRiver/PowerDVD with the DAC Pro in USB mode, which works great, but getting properly Mch decoded HT/Bluray into this system is a nightmare - so the Vanity/Okto AES option would be IDEAL....and would be SO simple to switch between that and USB.
If for any reason you choose not to use your Vanity/Oppo, please let me know! :eek:
Ah, LOUD - definitely!!! DAC PRO does that very nicely:)
Thanks again!

jjk

Forum Donor
Has anybody received their Okto recently?
I am Order #114.

jjk

Forum Donor
@jjk Do you have any further details on the I2S device Pavel is working on? Is it a standalone device, or something that is designed to work with the Oppo disc players? I tried looking on the Audiopraise website, but it seems to be down at the moment.

I fitted a Vanity203HD board in my Oppo 203 and I am using the I2S header to connect directly to a custom unit that Okto Research made for me (images below). The combination works flawlessly and enabled me to remove the AVR from my HT setup. It is such a shame that Oppo has discontinued its disc players.

View attachment 59078

View attachment 59079
craw,
I don't have any other details.
I was asking Pavel about the 103Vanity HD and the Okto and then I indicated that I had an I2S-based system and he asked if I would be willing to be a Beta-dude. I said sure and that's where it stands.
Slick setup above, very nice.
My I2S is connected through hdmi.
Definitely agree about Oppo.

jjk

Forum Donor
Thanks very much!
You have a much more complex setup than mine - is the dual Matrix Sabre system also 5.1 ch?
I was looking at the Sabre's closely, but were way out of my price range.
I'd been following the Okto I2S DIY projects, but wasn't in the mood for more DIY, so the timing of the DAC Pro release was great for me.
Timing seems critical on Vanity board availability ;) I missed them going out of production by just 1 year, and missed the few that have come up for sale since by about the same.
Thanks for the contact info, I'll drop Pavel a line - worth a try anyway, as those things are rare as hen's teeth.

I'll be interested in your impressions of the XMC1 to Okto upgrade for sure. (I remain GobSmacked with how good it sounds.)
I'm using a PC/NUC/JRiver/PowerDVD with the DAC Pro in USB mode, which works great, but getting properly Mch decoded HT/Bluray into this system is a nightmare - so the Vanity/Okto AES option would be IDEAL....and would be SO simple to switch between that and USB.
If for any reason you choose not to use your Vanity/Oppo, please let me know! :eek:
Ah, LOUD - definitely!!! DAC PRO does that very nicely:)
Thanks again!

@Neddy,
Yes, my system is 5.3.
The MCH bridge is capable of supporting 4 DACs. I employ three. 2 Matrix and 1 Topping.
Matrix #1 is L/R, Matrix #2 is C/Sub and the Topping is LS/RS.
Sub output then supports minidsp 2x4 HD to 3 subs.
JRiver is the front end, receiving files from a remote NAS. I have about 15000 tracks and approximately 50 Bluray films.
It is complex but works well.
And, I PLAYITLOUD.

DrDardis

I am Order #114.
I am still waiting, I am order #99. Naturally, the COVID pandemic is messing with global supply chains, Pavel has been good about responding, he said manufacture is back up running, so hopefully soon :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am Order #114.
I am still waiting; my order number is #106.

Pultzar

Has anybody tried driving the Dac8 Pro via a Nanodigi and some SPDIF->AES converters or cables?

John1959

Hi Pultzar,

Not yet, but the already programmed MiniDSP nanoDigi is here desperately waiting to give it a try when the DAC8PRO arrives. And yes, with three S/PDIF-AES (microphone)cables for an active 3-way system.. This shouldn't be a problem when the cables are not too long, a few meters or so, despite a difference in impedance. Connecting the DAC to RCA (non-balanced) amps with a simple cable is not recommended by the designers as is stated in the manual.

However, in the end I probably prefer doing the DSP with a dedicated small PC connected with (bidirectional) USB only and some third party software and drivers.
John.

wineds

I have made two rca to aes cables terminated with 110 ohm resistors and they work fine with CD players etc.

Last edited:

Pultzar

Hi Pultzar,

Not yet, but the already programmed MiniDSP nanoDigi is here desperately waiting to give it a try when the DAC8PRO arrives. And yes, with three S/PDIF-AES (microphone)cables for an active 3-way system.. This shouldn't be a problem when the cables are not too long, a few meters or so, despite a difference in impedance. Connecting the DAC to RCA (non-balanced) amps with a simple cable is not recommended by the designers as is stated in the manual.

However, in the end I probably prefer doing the DSP with a dedicated small PC connected with (bidirectional) USB only and some third party software and drivers.
John.

Great, let me know how the nanoDigi works out!

Burning Sounds

Pultzar

Yes, I've used these from a NanoDigi and it works fine. I prefer to do my x-overs/eq in JRiver and connect to the Okto via USB as it's one less box, but on a quick comparison I can't say I noticed any SQ difference.

I'm mostly worried about the latency with the PC solution, but I haven't found any published numbers yet.

John1959

I'm mostly worried about the latency with the PC solution, but I haven't found any published numbers yet.
I am not an expert on this, but my first thought is that latency is a problem only if different channels have different (unknown) latencies, e.g. because of using not the same DAC for each channel. With the Okto we obviously don't have this problem. Also, the nanoDigi is very much a digital processor like a PC, only the software is "burnt" in firmware. It also has some latency. So not really different. If I see it wrong, someone more knowledgeable will correct me I guess.

John.

Pultzar

I am not an expert on this, but my first thought is that latency is a problem only if different channels have different (unknown) latencies, e.g. because of using not the same DAC for each channel. With the Okto we obviously don't have this problem. Also, the nanoDigi is very much a digital processor like a PC, only the software is "burnt" in firmware. It also has some latency. So not really different. If I see it wrong, someone more knowledgeable will correct me I guess.

John.

Sorry I'm more concerned about a home theater environment in which syncing to video or other speakers could be an issue. You are correct that as long as the latency is identical, everything is fine for pure music listening.

Neddy

Sorry I'm more concerned about a home theater environment in which syncing to video or other speakers could be an issue. You are correct that as long as the latency is identical, everything is fine for pure music listening.
An I missing something here about the nanodigi?
How are you using it in a HT (presumably Mch) use case?
FWIW, when I trialed Oppo->AES through a Venu 360 (crossovers), I was not able to discern any time lag vs. using the analog nputs (AES inputs bypass the Venu's A-D).
IRCC, when I looked up the latency specs vs. what is recommended (<1ms??) it was well within that.
Are you concerned about latency in the nanodigi or OktoDAC?
I continue to be amazed at all the different ways the OktoDAC can be put to good use.

Pultzar

An I missing something here about the nanodigi?
How are you using it in a HT (presumably Mch) use case?
FWIW, when I trialed Oppo->AES through a Venu 360 (crossovers), I was not able to discern any time lag vs. using the analog nputs (AES inputs bypass the Venu's A-D).
IRCC, when I looked up the latency specs vs. what is recommended (<1ms??) it was well within that.
Are you concerned about latency in the nanodigi or OktoDAC?
I continue to be amazed at all the different ways the OktoDAC can be put to good use.

I'm not concerned about the latency with the nanodigi, that is already known to be low. I'm curious about the latency with a PC based USB solution.

This will all be used to drive active speakers.

Burning Sounds

I'm not concerned about the latency with the nanodigi, that is already known to be low. I'm curious about the latency with a PC based USB solution.

This will all be used to drive active speakers.

I have three sets of active speakers and there is no issue with overall latency with a PC based solution if you are just talking about music. If you have a HT setup then you will have to manage the lip sync issue of course, (JRiver can do this).

Perhaps you mean inter-channel delay eg, if you have a lot of processing going on in some channels and none in others? I have wondered about this and it is something that could be measured using REW.

There are other issues with using various software and hardware active x-overs that we haven't touched on here, but perhaps they would be better being discussed on @dualazmak's multi-channel thread so as not to clog up the Okto DAC thread. I'll post some further thoughts on that thread.

Top Bottom