• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

facboy

I just uninstalled the topping driver to use the Windows standard driver.
Now the popping after no sound is played has disappeared or only occurs very rarely.

I feel it works better with the topping driver. If you try the Speaker Properties test under the Advanced tab (where it plays a test noise through the L and then the R channel), with the Topping driver it pops a little on the first sound and then 3 seconds after the test finishes. With the windows driver it pops on the sound from both channels and is delayed too. I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere but if you max out the Windows volume then you don't get the pops, even though the sample rate still updates on the display.

I'm no expert but it doesn't seem to me like a hardware fault (specific to certain units), it feels more like a characteristic of the design (not necessarily a fault per se) that could be addressed (or worked around) through either a driver or firmware update.

That said it would be interesting to know what causes the DSD64 issue on some (but not all units). Maybe a tolerance thing.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,
I also checked pop noise.
As the uploaded video image shows, it seems to be the specification of this model that the display display changes in the order of volume value> sampling rate> volume value. However, I think that it is an abnormal operation that Err is sometimes displayed. Pop noise certainly occurs when the song starts playing, and when the display returns to the volume value again after stopping. Pop noise is a constant level regardless of volume. However, the noise level is low and acceptable to me, but if you are concerned, you should report it to Topping and request an improvement.

Last edited:

zeb512

I've the same issue of popping noise when changing sample rate or power management.
I'm using RoPieee XL (Linux) with Roon. I've partially fixed it by upsampling to the same sample rate instead of x2 to avoid that during playback.
It will be great if a firmware fix that issue.

UAN

Hello everyone,
I also checked pop noise.
As the uploaded video image shows, it seems to be the specification of this model that the display display changes in the order of volume value> sampling rate> volume value. However, I think that it is an abnormal operation that Err is sometimes displayed. Pop noise certainly occurs when the song starts playing, and when the display returns to the volume value again after stopping. Pop noise is a constant level regardless of volume. However, the noise level is low and acceptable to me, but if you are concerned, you should report it to Topping and request an improvement.

Topping replaced your E30?

Tup3x

By the way, is the volume control per input? Does it remember the volume after power cycle?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I haven't tested USB yet so I can't comment on that, but I have a problem with the stand-by function that I think can be fixed with a firmware update. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can forward it to the right people.

Basically I have it on the auto standby mode. When I turn on my tv it will come out of standby and show the sampling rate (always 48khz for my tv) but I wont produce sound. If I turn the E30 off and on again it is fixed again. Seems like I cannot lock on the optical signal after coming out of standby. Anyone else has this issue?
Update: the last couple of times it worked fine. So whatever.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you want to share the new firmware please refer back to this thread. And ideally post any feedback here.

Toku

Major Contributor
By the way, is the volume control per input? Does it remember the volume after power cycle?
> By the way, is the volume control per input?
It is common to all inputs.

> Does it remember the volume after power cycle?
Yes !!

Tup3x

> By the way, is the volume control per input?
It is common to all inputs.

> Does it remember the volume after power cycle?
Yes !!
Nice. That would work for me nicely. That's actually rather large plus over Soncoz LA-QXD1.

My work laptop has absolutely hideous audio out quality (the amount of interference...) so I've been looking to buy either a new external DAC or combo device. It would be nice if Topping would release E30 & L30 in one package. I'd rather like having one device for simplicity.

This would probably stack rather nicely with my black O2 amp though.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
If you want to share the new firmware please refer back to this thread. And ideally post any feedback here.
I immediately updated the firmware. I will report the result.

The test was performed by randomly switching the files from PCM44.1kHz to PCM768kHz and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5.

1. The previously reported problem of pop noise has been improved.

2. We have also improved the strange display on the display when switching songs. However, there are still times when the Err display momentarily appears.

3. In the middle of the test, when I switched between songs, the loud noise was played only once.

4. Playback on DSD 2.8 is not improved. This problem seems to require hardware improvement as Topping says.

I'm sorry for my alway poor English.

Add 1 point
5. When DSD is played after the factory reset of E30, the phenomenon that a loud noise is heard for a moment when the playback starts is not improved.

further
6. After the DSD playback was stopped, the display on the display changed from DSD to PCM, but after updating, it is correctly displayed as DSD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom