• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Needed: Headphone Amp with DC Protection

sherm137

Hello all,

I would like recommendations on headphone amps with DC protection. I would like to keep my purchase under $300 if possible. Amp/DAC combo units would also be a huge plus for me. Also, an output impedance of 1 or less would be preferred, as one of my headphones is a Verum 1, which I believe has an impedance rating of 8 ohms.

I have searched the forums for a recommendations but haven't found anything yet, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Also, please do me a favor and keep the discussion of whether DC protection is needed or not out of this thread. I have made up my mind that I want DC protection to protect some decently expensive headphones. If someone would like to discuss that in another thread, I think it would be an interesting read but don't want to derail this thread.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would assume something like a UPS power supply would be a good choice.
And a Schiit Modi/Magni DAC/amp or a Topping DX3 Pro.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Topping L30 and A50s that's coming soon have DC protection. Even though you don't want to hear it, DC protection is not very necessary. It's something that almost never happen if you don't mess with the internals like swapping opamps etc.

OP
S

sherm137

I think all the low-end Schiit stuff doesn't have the protection.

The topping stuff may be interesting. Do you happen to know the impedance on it? I thought I saw it was around 4.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
SP200

Verum 1 doesn't mind a higher output R. Can even be > 10 Ohm without any audible effects b.t.w.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think all the low-end Schiit stuff doesn't have the protection.

The topping stuff may be interesting. Do you happen to know the impedance on it? I thought I saw it was around 4.
< 0.1Ohmm SE, <0.2 Ohm BAL for all coming headphone amps from topping.

OP
S

sherm137

Maybe I will have to wait and see how this new Topping stuff performs before making a decision. Though, I do like supporting American companies when possible but it doesn't seem like many of them have what I want.

Top Bottom