• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
Could be those woofers used there have bit huge or over avarage L(e) value compared to other builds without that raising distortion into XO region, or L(e) value of used tweeter is exstreme low.

There's something to this theory, given where and how the distortion is showing up (single tone sweep, high in the woofer's response). Nguyen made special mention of having developed a new shorting ring configuration for the woofers, which offers some clues - it's possible the initial driver design showed high HD in high frequencies, and they inductively determined (pun intended) that a high dLe(i)/dx was the primary culprit (hence the addition, or improvement, of the shorting ring). Or maybe, given that this is a relatively high-excursion driver with a beefy voice coil, they made tweaks to minimize IMD from a potentially high dLe(x)/dx that resulted in higher HD from current-related inductance modulation, which was only partially offset by the improved shorting ring ... o_O

Horses for courses, as they say.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the HDI-1600 be able to play at higher SPL without distorting than the Revel M16?

That's an interesting question. The HDI-1600 has a compression driver, BUT it has less radiating area (ring vs. dome), and the compression driver in JBL LSR705P showed relatively unimpressive max SPL (3% THD) at the bottom of its range. My guess is HDI-1600 and LSR705P are fairly comparable in output capability. HDI-1600 has a bigger woofer and cabinet, but 705 has a more sophisticated woofer and in most cases more power behind it.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
It looks like you've focused on distortion at the low-end of the spectrum (likely inaudible at low to mid listening levels) and that has nothing to do with the crossover.
No, I did not. You didn't understand my post. Please re-read until you do.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an interesting question. The HDI-1600 has a compression driver, BUT it has less radiating area (ring vs. dome), and the compression driver in JBL LSR705P showed relatively unimpressive max SPL (3% THD) at the bottom of its range. My guess is HDI-1600 and LSR705P are fairly comparable in output capability. HDI-1600 has a bigger woofer and cabinet, but 705 has a more sophisticated woofer and in most cases more power behind it.
Compared to either the Revel M16 or M106 what do you think would be better suited for higher spl's?
What I am trying to get at... looking for a bookshelf for my HT. Looking to get matching bookshelf for L/C/R and probably surrounds too. Generally listen at -10db, so not particularly loud. At that listening volume, would all of these bookshelf speakers be fine, or does one stand out as being better suited.. Revel M16/JBL HDI-1600, or Revel M106.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wish all companies presented the same information as Kali Audio;
"This speaker can play 85 dB with 20 dB headroom at 2,8 metres".

How hard can it be for manufacturers to provide ANY form of relevant information to us sheeps?

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Generally listen at -10db, so not particularly loud. At that listening volume, would all of these bookshelf speakers be fine, or does one stand out as being better suited.. Revel M16/JBL HDI-1600, or Revel M106.
How big is your room and how far away do you sit from the speakers?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Room is 14w x 23L x 8h. Room is basement, L/R speakers are near the corners, center would be below the screen. 2 rows of seating, first is around 10-11 feet. Receiver is a Denon X8500. 2 Subs are Rythmik L12 (will add at least 1 more).

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Not a nice way to put it. But I did and I did.
Clearly not. I'll re-state it in more simple terms.

A different driver may have shown less distortion at 2K. But if that driver had lousy low bass performance, it would have made for a worse selection because that poor bass performance would have been clearly audible while the distortion at 2K might not be.

Like I said, that was just a wild guess but an example of why it may have happened. Driver selection/design and speaker design in general is about compromises. You seem to think you can pick out a flaw in a speakers performance and simply "fix" it in isolation. Usually that's not the case--"fixing" the one thing may cause other problems.

tuga

Major Contributor
Clearly not. I'll re-state it in more simple terms.

A different driver may have shown less distortion at 2K. But if that driver had lousy low bass performance, it would have made for a worse selection because that poor bass performance would have been clearly audible while the distortion at 2K might not be.

Like I said, that was just a wild guess but an example of why it may have happened. Driver selection/design and speaker design in general is about compromises. You seem to think you can pick out a flaw in a speakers performance and simply "fix" it in isolation. Usually that's not the case--"fixing" the one thing may cause other problems.

Thanks. I had re-read, and I had understood at second reading.
It makes sense, since a driver that does the duties of mid & woofer is somewhat of a compromise.

Could the cone material and/or cone profile have something to do with it?

It seems typical behaviour of lower-priced Harman speakers:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/revel_concerta_m12/
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/revel_concerta_f12/
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/infinity_primus_p162/
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/jbl_l890/

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last two links show the same sheit in Monitor Audio two-way speakers. Looks to be a common two-way thing.

tuga

Major Contributor
The last two links show the same sheit in Monitor Audio two-way speakers. Looks to be a common two-way thing.

MAs also sport aluminium cones.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Room is 14w x 23L x 8h. Room is basement, L/R speakers are near the corners, center would be below the screen. 2 rows of seating, first is around 10-11 feet. Receiver is a Denon X8500. 2 Subs are Rythmik L12 (will add at least 1 more).

I think with -10 dB volume and 10-11 feet listening distance, your speaker output requirements will be pretty modest. I would expect the receiver to run out of breath before the speakers. My first pick would probably be JTR or PSA for pure home theater speakers.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...Revel M16/JBL HDI-1600, or Revel M106.

In Amir's spindata think M16 looks so beautifull and also his ears loved it, that Elac DBR62 and HDI-1600 down the road overtook his heart or ears :) is maybe or probably because of the bit wider spread of sound and a point often referenced to from Toole's book, so was it me i lean to M16 and the lower cost but why not in these good return policy days order one pair of M16 and one pair of HDI-1600 and then take it from there.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Amir's spindata think M16 looks so beautifull and also his ears loved it, that Elac DBR62 and HDI-1600 down the road overtook his heart or ears :) is maybe or probably because of the bit wider spread of sound and a point often referenced to from Toole's book, so was it me i lean to M16 and the lower cost but why not in these good return policy days order one pair of M16 and one pair of HDI-1600 and then take it from there.
My first thought is at my SPL, crossing @ 80hz with subs, having 5 or 7 bed layer channels with M16's would sound great. Right now I have been running JBL 308Ps and honestly there is very little to complain about. Will keep thinking about it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How's the break-in going.
What's the schedule?
Schedule, what schedule? I''m retired plus locked down, I don't do anything on a schedule. LOL
No schedule really, I've got 60 days to keep em or send em back. Just trying to get used to listening in 2 channel again. I've been listening to everything in multich for so long it seems weird right now. In a few days I'll start switching around and listening seriously.
I'd say right off the for sure they have more bass than my Hsu's, both louder and deeper. Then (I think) I'm hearing a warmer sound on balance and more detail-shimmer in the high end. That could even be expectation bias not sure, When I start to switch back and forth a few times and try to decide then.
"I hate sounding like a subjectivist and writing like that". :p

Wombat

Master Contributor
Schedule, what schedule? I''m retired plus locked down, I don't do anything on a schedule. LOL
No schedule really, I've got 60 days to keep em or send em back. Just trying to get used to listening in 2 channel again. I've been listening to everything in multich for so long it seems weird right now. In a few days I'll start switching around and listening seriously.
I'd say right off the for sure they have more bass than my Hsu's, both louder and deeper. Then (I think) I'm hearing a warmer sound on balance and more detail-shimmer in the high end. That could even be expectation bias not sure, When I start to switch back and forth a few times and try to decide then.

The stakes are high.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ok, but we expect comparative measurements.

Get some Jack Daniels and see if you can't do a spinorama.

Top Bottom