• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt I150 integrated Amp/DAC

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey folks,

Looks like Buchardt Audio (@Mads Buchardt) is going to release an integrated amplifier, the I150m:

93784619_3004759522878424_7440235575585538048_o.jpg

93711488_3004759369545106_7985791456918896640_o.jpg

" Here you would have access to our Buchardt room correction, advanced EQ and more.
- It's directly made to match our speakers with some fantastic features to bring full dynamics back to the mix when you listen at low volumes. It's a game changer if you often listen at low volumes, it's basically a compensation for how the human ear senses sound at lower dBs (ISO 226:2003). Here you choose via the App what speakers you have paired with the amp so that the DSP can apply the correct settings and do this accurately along with other improvements to either the S300 and S400. You can of course disable this if you use other speakers with the amp.
- To read more about both the room correction and the ISO 226:2003 function, check out the A500 that have this decribed:
https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description

- Build with two separate power supplies. Linear power supply for DAC, preamp section and DSP and a switch-mode for the power amp section
- Hypex NCORE Class D amp module at 2 x 150/250Watt 8/4 ohm.
(NC252MP?)
- ES9028PRO DAC which is a very high end chip for an integrated amplifier, especially at this price point! (Heu... nope!)
- Powerful Quad core DSP processor
- 5.0 Bluetooth which mainly acts as data transfer between what you do in the app and the amp such as the room correction filters and EQ functions. But it also supports audio playback with aptX HD.
- Pricing for all this : €2500. BUT if you are buying it as a bundle with our speakers it will be €1875. This price even applies if you already have bought a pair of speakers directly from us! "

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An option with the more powerful NC502MP (2x 500W at 4 ohms) would be awesome.

xarkkon

Very interesting @Mads Buchardt
Would love to have seen a HDMI port with CEC for use with TV's. Also, a RF remote, and version in silver ;)
Very much this! I would love to have a product that would move me away from the Sonos Amp that I use with my S400s. Having HDMI ARC would definitely make me switch.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t see a sub out or mention of bass management.

xarkkon

good point. pity. I would have thought a pre-out would be better than a line out. At least that could have been used for two subs.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
good point. pity. I would have thought a pre-out would be better than a line out. At least that could have been used for two subs.

So basically it is expensive but objectively lesser than the $500 models from ELAC or
MartinLogan, or the $1500 new miniDSP one.

No or poor bass management is inexcusable in a 2020 vintage preamp or integrated.

Eckelstone

Very much this! I would love to have a product that would move me away from the Sonos Amp that I use with my S400s. Having HDMI ARC would definitely make me switch.
I already switched from the Sonos Amp to an IOTAVX SA3 with my S400 with a Sonos Port (bypass). Why would you need ARC on a stereo amplifier? Every TV has Toslink. The IOTAVX already has much better Center imaging for movies in stereo than the Sonos Amp had in dolby 5.1. And on top of that dynamics are much more balanced. With the Sonos Amp I was always struggling with soft voices in movies and too load sound effects etc. For music it is bright. My Sonos Amp now works just fine as a stereo receiver for my outside speakers.

Eckelstone

If you are spending this amount of money on speakers and amplifier you would never use a preout for subwoofer, but high level input anyway. For example rel subwoofers.

Eckelstone

, maybe this video makes more sense. If you want decent integration of subs with speakers you connect them tot the speaker outputs not a subwoofer preout, which is meant for av 5.1 setups (low level output).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
, maybe this video makes more sense. If you want decent integration of subs with speakers you connect them tot the speaker outputs not a subwoofer preout, which is meant for av 5.1 setups (low level output).

I know what you're referring to.

But not everyone agrees with REL's approach nor is it synonymous with price.

I have decently expensive speakers, electronics, and subs. High-passing the speakers has huge benefits.

Running full range eliminates the distortion reduction benefits of high passing.

Eckelstone

The question was about this new amp of Buchardt missing a subwoofer out. Apart from that this would overcomplicate the design and Buchardts speakers are full range, I don’t see why a low level output would be a beneficial to high level. I used other subs low level in the past and always had timing issues with music. After going to Rel and using high level connections, the difference with using the LFE on the same receiver was night and day.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are spending this amount of money on speakers and amplifier you would never use a preout for subwoofer, but high level input anyway. For example rel subwoofers.

The opposite is true. One maker clinging to obsolete and inferior methods does not matter.

No preamp or integrated with aspirations to high fidelity can omit bass management.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The question was about this new amp of Buchardt missing a subwoofer out. Apart from that this would overcomplicate the design and Buchardts speakers are full range, I don’t see why a low level output would be a beneficial to high level. I used other subs low level in the past and always had timing issues with music. After going to Rel and using high level connections, the difference with using the LFE on the same receiver was night and day.

REL is beginner friendly, I'll give you that.

But for those skilled with sub integrations, and have the right tools to measure, high passing the mains lowers net system distortion.

I use 2 x Martin Logan Dynamo subs with fancy DSP options for everything, manageable by an app, and used in conjunction with UMIK, measured at 4 positions.

My electronics are Devialet Expert 400, using the pre-out.

Eckelstone

The opposite is true. One maker clinging to obsolete and inferior methods does not matter.

No preamp or integrated with aspirations to high fidelity can omit bass management.

The reason why Buchardt does not add Bass management, because that would interfere with there room correction and they are of the opinion their speakers go deep enough. The power of this amp is that they have developed it together with the S400. So the same as with their upcoming active systems, they were able to substantially improve the sound of the existing speaker and give you and experience that you could otherwise only get by handpicking and trying out components and measuring yourself. This in particular is the advantage of active systems for consumers like me. If you are talking about progress, this is progress and it brings HiFi sound to normal homes and interiors as all in one solution. Different products for different customers, not one being better than the other, simply different.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The reason why Buchardt does not add Bass management, because that would interfere with there room correction and they are of the opinion their speakers go deep enough. The power of this amp is that they have developed it together with the S400. So the same as with their upcoming active systems, they were able to substantially improve the sound of the existing speaker and give you and experience that you could otherwise only get by handpicking and trying out components and measuring yourself. This in particular is the advantage of active systems for consumers like me. If you are talking about progress, this is progress and it brings HiFi sound to normal homes and interiors as all in one solution. Different products for different customers, not one being better than the other, simply different.

This is a silly rationale.

Going "deep enough" at the mains is a massive misunderstanding of the role that multiple subwoofers can play in taming room nodes when placed at different locations from the mains.

Especially when different rooms sizes with different Schroeder frequencies are taken into account.

Eckelstone

This is a silly rationale.

Going "deep enough" at the mains is a massive misunderstanding of the role that multiple subwoofers can play in taming room nodes when placed at different locations from the mains.

Especially when different rooms sizes with different Schroeder frequencies are taken into account.
You live in a different world or universe than most of us I guess.... The point I am trying to make is that this product is not for you. If you want subs and seperate bass management there are alternatives enough.

Top Bottom