• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JTR Noesis 212RT Measurements

Jon AA

Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The horn looks as crude as it gets, square with flat sides. Mid-fi at best.
It's a constant directivity horn, as seen in the measurements.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You mean a Gueddes waveguide?
The manufacturer calls it a horn.

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-212rt.html
Geddes' design is called an oblate spheroid waveguide due to the shape. The difference between a horn and a waveguide is largely semantics, but generally a horn is used for acoustic loading while a waveguide is used to control directivity. This doesn't mean that one can't be the other.

The JTR design looks like a Don Keele-influenced model.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
For those who haven't seen it, Matthew Pose reviewed and measured these speakers here: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/jtr-noesis-212rt-review-and-measurements.6779/

I figured quite a few people here would be quite interested in seeing the results. Very interesting speakers. I think Matthew does a pretty excellent job of measuring considering no anechoic chamber or Klippel.
A two way going down to -3 dB @ 35 Hz? I'd like to see some distorsion measurements. Looks like there are some resonance at 6~7 kHz too. And is this me, or the baffle step is strangely high for such a big speaker?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
A two way going down to -3 dB @ 35 Hz? I'd like to see some distorsion measurements.
Looks like a transmission line design as well, but I'm just guessing based on the bass response and position of the front port.

tuga

Major Contributor
I believe the correct name would be a pyramidal oblate spheroidal waveguide. :p

Except that the whole throat looks flat up until the mouth, unlike Geddes OBS:

Hero_NOESIS-210RT.png

jjip9lo.jpg

OP
Jon AA

Jon AA

Forum Donor
For those interested in it's design for bass (ported) and want to see distortion measurements, I don't know of any for this specific model but Ricci at data-bass has measured its big brother, the 215RT (measuring the bass like it was a sub): https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c2656621cefb00004803ab3?_k=x80ath

That's a bigger speaker but should inform one on the validity of the design.

tuga

Major Contributor
He would mean a constant directivity horn, from Keele's paper.

This one (cross-section)?

9BeJoEd.jpg

There's a flange at the mouth but it seems to be missing the exponential expansion bit at the entry of the throat.

tuga

Major Contributor
For those interested in it's design for bass (ported) and want to see distortion measurements, I don't know of any for this specific model but Ricci at data-bass has measured its big brother, the 215RT (measuring the bass like it was a sub): https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c2656621cefb00004803ab3?_k=x80ath

That's a bigger speaker but should inform one on the validity of the design.

They're only measuring the woofer/bass.

I think that the problems lie in the upper-midrange and treble, this waviness above 3kHz:

full-png.30942

source: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/jtr-noesis-212rt-review-and-measurements.6779/

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very popular home theatre speaker. Then again, so is Klipsch...

OP
Jon AA

Jon AA

Forum Donor
They're only measuring the woofer/bass.
Yes, that's what the questions I was addressing were asking about.
I think that the problems lie in the upper-midrange and treble, this waviness above 3kHz:
I agree, if you're looking for flaws that's where you would point. I'd venture to guess some of that is being introduced by the horn/waveguide, but I'm not well versed enough in horn/waveguide design to speculate on any details. Some could also be some of the common issues with concentric drivers at high frequencies.

Regardless, when the "waves" are high-Q and less than +/- 2 db on axis, their audibility is questionable.
Mid-fi at best.....Home theatre has different requirements and less demanding expectations.
If you're aiming for the "Audiophile snobbery" award for the day, comments like that will make you a lock. :p

There are a lot of people using these for 2-channel systems as they are quite popular with people who prefer narrow dispersion and like extremely high dynamic capabilities. I thought you were a fan of narrow dispersion speakers? You may actually love the way these sound.

Last edited:
OP
Jon AA

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Looks like measured performance is better than JBL HDI series. SPL capabilities should be higher as well.
Yeah, that would make for an interesting comparison. The HDI's have a wider horizontal dispersion, but the shape of the curves is remarkably similar, with the JTR's just being lower in volume as you get farther off axis.

Of course, SPL-wise, the JTR's are on a different planet.

Top Bottom