• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW, BitDefender prevented that pdf from downloading on any of my Win10 machines until I clicked the "I understand the risk take me there anyway" option.

For some inexplicable reason, what is available online is a zip of the (pdf) manual. Evidently, BitDefender doesn't like it when you try to download a zip file.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
For some inexplicable reason, what is available online is a zip of the (pdf) manual. Evidently, BitDefender doesn't like it when you try to download a zip file.

It seems pickier about them, to be sure, but I downloaded a dozen or so zips yesterday with no problem. Perhaps it's zips from certain IP address ranges that cause it concern?

raif71

Major Contributor
Did this just made the Khadas Tone Board irrelevant or am I missing something?
Imho, the Tone Board is using ESS chipset while this is using AKM, so to me it's fine and does not mean that KTB is irrelevant. Now, as far as Fiio K5 Pro and Topping E30, since they are using same chipset...hmmm

Edit: Of course Fiio K5 Pro is a dac/amp with e30, only a dac

Last edited:

samsa

Imho, the Tone Board is using ESS chipset while this is using AKM, so to me it's fine and does not mean that KTB is irrelevant.

Does the current version of the KTB suffer from the ESS "IMD hump"? If so, then for about the same price (after you've bought a case, etc), you can now have a DAC with slightly better performance on every other metric and without the hump.

It's very likely that all of these differences are inaudible. But on a pure performance/$ basis, the E30 appears, at the moment, to be a better buy.

raif71

Major Contributor
Does the current version of the KTB suffer from the ESS "IMD hump"? If so, then for about the same price (after you've bought a case, etc), you can now have a DAC with slightly better performance on every other metric and without the hump.

It's very likely that all of these differences are inaudible. But on a pure performance/$ basis, the E30 appears, at the moment, to be a better buy.
Sorry, I don't have the KTB but I have the Topping nx4 dsd which is using the same ESS chipset and if not mistaken the nx4 dsd doesn't suffer from the IMD hump

Veri

Master Contributor

Para_dox77

Looking just at the features it definitely looks like a better buy.

For now yes, the E30 is very good value. But, the KTB has evolved into this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-pre-production-evolution-of-kte-board.10471/ (in production, for sale soon)
which is also a solid contender for a budget DAC, even has balanced outs. no IMD hump as opposed to original KTB.

Yes, I just saw that too. And I just pull the plug on the KTB and case. I guess I'll wait for the Soncoz LA-QXD1, Atom DAC, and KTB v2 (original team is also working in another board) and see which one would be the best replacement for the KTB.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello All,
Regarding the playback trouble of DSD2.8 that I reported before, I posted the video to the following user review on Amazon.jp. Please see if you are interested.
Of course I also reported to Topping. And I received an email that I would like to improve the problem as soon as possible.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/custome...vw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0863LYBCT#wasThisHelpful

Postscript
Then I received an email from Topping. "The technical department was able to understand the cause, so we will improve it immediately."

Last edited:

manudrz

Hi, I'd like to know if the E30 keeps the same active input when turn off/on ?

yejun

I am looking to get a wall adapter for this unit. Does anyone--perhaps JohnYang1997--know what size power connector is compatible with this unit? I'm thinking either 2.1mm or 2.5mm, but I am not sure. (5V @ 1 amp would work, I assume.)

Currently looking at some nice, no nonsense Jameco wall adapters.
It's 5.5/2.1mm size. I am using ifi ipower which fits exactly without additional connector.

vrobec

Hello all!

I'm thinking to buy this Topping E30 DAC. Please let me know if this combo works: Raspberry Pi3 + Hifiberry Digi Plus + Topping E30 powered via linear power supply? The Raspberry Pi3 and Hifiberry Digi+ should serve as transport connected to E30 via Coaxial?

Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all!

I'm thinking to buy this Topping E30 DAC. Please let me know if this combo works: Raspberry Pi3 + Hifiberry Digi Plus + Topping E30 powered via linear power supply? The Raspberry Pi3 and Hifiberry Digi+ should serve as transport connected to E30 via Coaxial?

Thanks!
Why not Pi3 directly to the E30? USB measures better than Spdif.

vrobec

Ok, even better if usb measures better. Currently have rpi3+kali reclocker+piano 2.1 on linear psu, and thinking about uprade to E30 or Khadas TB. Don't know which one to choose and don't know is it worth upgrading from current setup?

samsa

here is a test for this dac :

So that guy could hear the noise, when powering the E30 from his computer's USB port. He says it was much quieter when powered by a phone charger or battery pack. Did I misunderstand @amirm's post where he said that the PS noise --- which he measured at -122 dBFS --- was from "the 'dirtiest' source of USB input."

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
So that guy could hear the noise, when powering the E30 from his computer's USB port. He says it was much quieter when powered by a phone charger or battery pack. Did I misunderstand @amirm's post where he said that the PS noise --- which he measured at -122 dBFS --- was from "the 'dirtiest' source of USB input."
I don't really trust Youtuber information. If you have any doubts, you should try and see for yourself. I always do so.
There are various types of PCs. Of course, the quality is also different. Therefore, amirm's report is based on amirm's environmental conditions and is not guaranteed in all environments. In particular, gaming PCs tend to be noisy. I think I need to understand that.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for posting that. I have never seen that behavior with my E30 and DSD. I've still had flawless playback so far.

I hope what Topping is conveying to you as "a fix" is not a "E30 V2 or E30s". This better be fixable with a firmware update.
The problem was clarified by Topping, but it seems to be difficult only by updating the firmware.
They also promised to send me an improved new E30.
I don't know how it will improve, but I look forward to better results and wait. And I will report the result to Topping again.
As always, sincere response to users by Topping is great.

Last edited:

UAN

The problem was clarified by Topping, but it seems to be difficult only by updating the firmware.
I also promised to send me an improved new E30.
I don't know how it will improve, but I look forward to better results and wait. And I will report the result to Topping again.
As always, sincere response to users by Topping is great.

We look forward to the report. I think that we will send our E30 for modernization.

Sak

When I look at the E30, it reminds me "Knite rider" from inside of the KITT.

8ap2uxopr45z.jpg

Top Bottom