• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity IRS Betas

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Music Room has a mint pair of Infinity IRS Beta's for sale at only $13,999!
If only, if only -----------------------
http://www.tmraudio.com/product/tj-1141
1772-14.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The Music Room has a mint pair of Infinity IRS Beta's for sale at only $13,999!
If only, if only -----------------------
http://www.tmraudio.com/product/tj-1141
1772-14.jpg

Admittedly, that's a lot of poundage for $14k.

But SQ-wise, how do you think they compare to current alternatives?

(My guess, having not heard them for 20 years, is that the bass would still be impressive, but the mids and highs maybe less so)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But SQ-wise, how do you think they compare to current alternatives?
(My guess, having not heard them for 20 years, is that the bass would still be impressive, but the mids and highs maybe less so)
With me I'd admit it could mainly be a nostalgia type thing, a pair of speakers I almost robbed a bank to own. :)
But I'm believing there's still something to the big picture engineering of these speakers in the whole that made Paul McGowan go to the extremes he did to get a pair of IRS V's as the PS Audio's reference system. I read he did get together with Arnie Nudell to update the passive crossovers with modern components. I also swear I've read somewhere that they were also working on a digital version?
Bottom line is they sure are purdy. ;)
Screen-Shot-2015-06-11-at-7.43.18-AM.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was tempted at one time to think about maybe possibly changing out the caps in my speakers, but I wasn't able to get the back off, and then got laid off (2002) before I could steal a raised-computer-floor-tile-suction-grabber which I thought would do the job, and now, I don't seem to think about it any more.

They're the three on the right front corner. Scale: the crossover/bias panel is 22" x 10"

reQuest%20tweak%20photo%201.jpg

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?126-reQuest-Crossover-capacitor-upgrade

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Speedskater

Major Contributor
That's 10 pounds of ML crossover in a 5 pound package. All the coils are oriented the same way, that's not good engineering practice.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
On one hand I'd love to recreate my old IRS2's days, but OTOH I remember how many EMIT's and EMIM's I repaired or replaced during that period (late 1970's - mid 1980's) for myself and others. They seemed to get blown frequently despite the overload protection and added fuses. The eyelets for attaching the planer traces to the connecting wires frequently separated from the traces. A fairly easy repair but man I got tired of doing it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

PeteDaGreek

If I hit the mega million lotto Ray we'll get together and play.
Going to a DSP crossover with DRC might be really interesting.
If only, if only ---------------------

I have the exact Infinity IRS Beta speaker pair mint in rosewood...have to sell within a month or two because they are too hard to move to another house. They haven't even been played loud...they have been hardly used maybe a hundred hours or so...never exposed to direct sunlight heat or freezing temperatures. Please contact me Peter 847 310 5200 [email protected] also have velodynes and other stuff for sale

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have the exact Infinity IRS Beta speaker pair mint in rosewood...have to sell within a month or two because they are too hard to move to another house. They haven't even been played loud...they have been hardly used maybe a hundred hours or so...never exposed to direct sunlight heat or freezing temperatures. Please contact me Peter 847 310 5200 [email protected] also have velodynes and other stuff for sale
Peter, Welcome to the forum!
I know I could never afford them, let along house them but I can dream.
I would like to comment that it is dangerous practice to post phone #'s and emails to a forum. Better to state what your selling and ask interested parties to PM you.

Top Bottom