• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Given the complications of the ventilators, I thought of another virus...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It does seem that South Koreas decision to have an emergency plan based on what they learned from the SARS epidemic stood them in good stead. Mind you it needs the will and provision of funds to do it.

For one thing, seems the facemask thing became much more an accepted part of culture in that part of the world. Might become more accepted elsewhere moving forward.

We may not wear masks, but we've got millions of chickens... I wonder how many similarly fascinating programs there are tucked around the world. I never had heard of this before.

https://www.insider.com/us-government-flu-vaccine-chickens-national-security-2020-4

Their number and location are a matter of national security. Their purpose is to make vaccines. These are America's hidden chickens.

Across the United States, there are potentially millions of chickens laying eggs every day, year-round, for flu vaccines. According to CNN, during the most recent flu season alone (to the end of February), 140 million eggs could have been used for vaccines. And hens only lay a single egg each day.

Course, won't help with Corona, but...still interesting.

Dave Zan

...you came "late to the party" (if I dare say so)*...

We received "an invitation" quite early, first cases reported before Spain or Italy for example.
International air travel probably carried the infection to many countries at almost the same time.
Differences in first reported case dates perhaps reflect test delays as much as real differences.
So I don't think our low numbers are due to a late start.
I do think there are some countries that have yet to discover the full extent of the problem.
But Australia and New Zealand seem to have fairly reliable data from extensive tests.
Australia has started to test "random" people to discover if there are otherwise unsuspected cases.
I hope no new problems turn up, there is some hint of a "second wave" in countries that have done very well until now.

Best wishes
David

* "Dead Man's Party" by Danny Elfman?

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Is there any alternative explanation other than rationing/palliative policy?

The explanation, to me, is clear: there are not enough ICU beds equipped with a respirator. Nor specialized ICU staff.

So far there are 22,000 infected healthcare workers, outrageous. Due to the lack of protective equipment that they suffered until a few days ago. You know, criminal negligence.

That is why so many elderly people have died in residences, because the services were collapsed. The vast majority of the deceased have occurred outside the ICU, in other hospital units or in the same residences.

For now it is estimated that the real number of deaths in Spain is 50-70% higher. Presumably, that percentage will decrease. For covid-19 or for not being able to be treated for other diseases. Bad time to have a heart attack, when attention time is crucial, for example.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
BTW, the almost total confinement will end on Monday, returning to the previous one. It seems to have had an effect, lowering the slopes with respect to Italy, the country with which we were late in the start of the infection (first 100 cases).

I suppose we cannot wait until there is no daily case, we will have to accept a few deaths a day for a long time without the health services collapsing again. Terrible decisions to make.

The mask will end up being mandatory in public spaces for a long time as long as there is no shortage.

D

Deleted member 65

Total number of deaths in Sweden per day in March 2020 & avg 2015-2019.

1586441908529.png

maty

Major Contributor
http://aquas.gencat.cat/.content/In...Taxes-estandarditzades-edat-i-sexe/atlas.html

covid-19-tarragona-08042020.png

Tarragona 7 - Sant Salvador is now the worst. 503 positives cases / 100,000 inhabitants. Working class neighborhood, lots of immigration, tall buildings, small floors and great use of public transportation. Same variables as in other neighborhoods of Barcelona with a similar rate.

Access to the health system is the same for everyone. Now the public and private system are in the hands of the autonomous communities, for the State of Alarm in which we are.

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about elsewhere but in the UK they said on the news today that the official figures are those who have died in hospital. Those outside they have no way of getting accurate figures of those actually caused by the virus.

Willem

Major Contributor
In the Netherlands the number of deaths continues to decline, and so does the number of hospital admissions. The number of patients on intensive care has been more or less stable for the last few days, and is well below the system's capacity. There continue to be big regional differences. The highest numbers continue to be in the catholic south where they are still reeling from the carnival explosions, and in the Bible Belt in the centre of the country. Where we live, in the north, there are very few infections. In our city with 250000 inhabitants, we had 14 people with Covid19 admitted to hospital, of whom, I think, two are on intensive care. With two big hospitals, the ICUs are almost entirely used for patients from other parts of the country. We are under the access route for the ambulance helicopters, and we can hear a few coming in each day.
At the same time, it is good to realize that the vast majority of deaths occur at home rather than in hospital. This is largely a disease for the elderly, and for old people being put on a ventilator is often quite pointless. They will mostly not survive anyway, so they often decide they would rather die at home. If they do survive, they are in very bad shape, so many opt to avoid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom